Bellicheck Chose to Defend in OT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 27, 2015.

1. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I'd be ok with that. I'll take that challenge..

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mr Natural could beat you ...face it you guys are on your way down

Cya

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is pretty obvious that BB had absolutely no faith in his offense to get the job done.

Gets the ball with 2 minutes to go in half, while losing and just runs out the clock.
    Gets the ball with 30 or so seconds left in the game, where a FG wins the game and runs out clock for OT.
    Then wins the toss in OT and elects to kick.

Belechick was AFRAID of the Jets D - all day long.

NY Jets68 and FJF like this.
  4. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

It does makes a lot more sense. Of course, you're not supposed to let the other team score a TD!!!

This was like the 4th and 2 call against the Colts which also backfired. It happens and sometimes he doesn't look as smart as he usually is. Sometimes he plays his hunches and they work out (in the SB) and sometimes they don't. Overall still the best coach in the league but this was was not of those days.

They also had almost 2 minutes before the half and basically took a knee. That made no sense at all. Not one of Belichicks better games.

5. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

We'll see. For the Patriots, it will come down to who is healthy for the playoffs. Belichick rested Chung, McCourty, Amendola and Edelman which is good. Vollmer goes down which is a big loss.

If those four play next time, I think the Pats will have a great chance. He'll be able to get rid of the ball in 2 secs like he's been doing this year and it will to more than just Gronk and Keeshawn Martin... I'm sure the Jets D will still be able to pressure but it won't be near as bad and the Patriots will be able to move the ball much better.

Having Chung and McCourty back too will help.

For the Pats it comes down to who is healthy.

If most of the players that can be healthy for both teams play, I think the Patriots will win. In fact depending who's healthy, I still think they have a great chance to get back to the SB still.

But yeah, enjoy the win. I would.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If the Pats D stops us in our half on a 4th and whatever........we have to punt, Pats can take all 4 downs to get in FG range.
    If we're around the 35 on a 4th and whatever............we kick the FG. Pats can take all 4 downs to get in FG range for the tie.

Only way it really fails them is if the Jets suddenly find some late offense and drive it in for the TD i.e FITZMAGIC!!!

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We were winning handily until that strip sack fumble the Pats walked in for a TD. The Pats are the luckiest team on God's green earth so I knew 17-6 was too good to be true. That changed everything.

#107 Quinnenthebeast, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1 penalty too what a fuckin' joke

Big Blocker and rammagen like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah that was some major bullshit. We were halfway through the 4th quarter and NE wasn't called for 1 penalty. What a crock of shit. that Stark or Stork, whatever his name was on their O line, was holding nearly every passing play

I guess officials just didn't see it :rolleyes:

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

some pats fans are whining about that one penalty today. lol

11. BrowningNagle

Marty Morningwood got just killed for years for making a similar decision. He was laughed at, called an idiot, etc. Belichick makes the same decision, actually worse decision considering he had Tom fuckin' Brady as his QB!! and he "outsmarted himself" or a "calculated decision that turned out to be wrong." yeah okay... :rolleyes: I wish they would call it like it is and say it was a truly boneheaded coaching decision that cost his team the game

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Let's stop comparing it with Morninghweg, what he did was twice as bad as Billy B cause it happened back when you only needed a score to end OT on the first possession, not a TD.

13. BrowningNagle

fuck no. they are a direct comparison because they both stupidly chose to play the field position game. Like I said Belichick's decision is actually worse because he has the best QB in the game on his sideline (hot from leading the tying drive) and instead of putting the ball in his hands he thought he'd rely on his shitty defense. At least Morningwood only had Joey Harrington so field position is more important

14. BleedgreenIII

BleedgreenIII Member

If BB told slater three times to defer and kick the Ball to us why was slater all confused and looking like he F upped big time?

Mistake or not BB looked abit too 'comfortable' yesterday...even as we dominated TOP and dictated the game...he behaved like a coach who knew they were undermanned and expected his team put up a fight with MINIMAL INJURIES...and they came through...a W was no 3 in his list of priorities...

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Another possibility is that Slater really did screw up and Belichick took the heat for the mistake. From the Pats perspective this loss doesn't hurt them that much. So I can see where a coach may want to take any heat directed at one of his players.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If thay was true he would have went for 2 after td to tie the game and not put o.t. in play.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think another possibility is that maybe Brady got a bit dinged up on one of the hits he took and getting the ball at say their own 20 means he has to be on the field more and he runs the risk of getting injured. They also had another OL with an arm injury late in the game so they may have played the field position game hoping it would mean Brady was on the field less.

18. BrowningNagle

that is certainly something that others are saying as well that I could see being true. On the outside they just say it was a coaching decision instead of throwing a player under the bus.

When I heard Belichick's explanation thats what I thought as well, BS to save face for Slater. But then I heard Slater say he asked the coaches 3 times "are you sure you want to kick?" each time they said yes and he didn't want to ask anymore questions because they were already looking at him weird and he didn't want to have them think he needed to go through concussion protocall LOL. thats not something you make up

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

BB has the Parcells genius syndrome, Leon Johnson option pass vs Lions to cost us the playoffs, BB, dropkicks, kickoff in ot, Bob Vrabel catching td passes that Benjamin Watson would have caught, going for 4th down on your own 29, these guys think they are bigger than the game

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't think that last drive qualifies as marching down the field. It was an 11 play drive and required two 4th down conversions.

I understand Belichiks decision to kick. The Jets offense was terrible in the 4th after going up 20-13. If you kick the ball off and hold them, Brady only needs to get into FG range to win it, which is much more likely for them considering how good our defense was.