I THINK BILAL POWELL IS ON PED'S

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by biggundewayne63, Dec 14, 2015.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Powell is averaging over four receptions per game this season, taking the pressure off of Fitzpatrick from having to continuously throw downfield to the wide-outs. If you're going to throw this much, you need backs with good hands who can outrun and make defenders miss in the open field. Bruce Harper was a similar type situational player for Jets, although a few inches smaller than Powell.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I honestly think the OP is right. Bilal has never been this quick/explosive. Suddenly coming off an ankle injury he's faster, quicker than ever? It's honestly a valid suggestion. If it's true it's true, what can I tell ya.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Lol

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he had a good burst in the preseason, than it was gone for the beginning of the season. i wonder if he burned himself out working out in the off-season followed by t.c. and preseason. injury might have gave him time to rest up.

5. TurkJetFan

pretty much...am I a bad person for not caring, as long as he plays well?

6. TurkJetFan

let's be honest, he's never looked his explosive. ever.

socaljetfan likes this.
  7. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Yup. He was a slow, plodding fat RB before he took all those steroids over the offseason as you can see. He can barely move.

Royal Tee and jco2007 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Simms last night "Powell looks faster than he was when he came in the league!" haha

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He was, it's just that we don't remember because it was rarely seen

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hopefully he keeps juicing. He probably took his one drug test for the year so he's good until after the players.

I bet Bowles is managing this well. He's a nice guy with possibly an inside source on when the drug tests will be. I just wonder why he didn't alert Sheldon...

11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Maybe he lost weight and jumped rope!

Royal Tee and PapaBurr like this.
  12. PapaBurr

PapaBurr Member

I kinda recall one of the commentators a couple games ago saying that powell shed nearly 20 pounds this offseason, that would be an immediate correlation to his increase of burst if true.

Royal Tee and hornblower like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think last year they tried to make Powell more power back...he seemed heavy last year. He's always been shifty though...remember when most Jet fans wanted to get rid of him? He's easily the best pass blocker out of the backs, and has the best hands.

If I had to choose, I'd sign Powell...he's cheaper to sign likely...then you go get a more traditional downfield north and south between the tackles guy. Ivory's good, but he maybe a bit pricy at this point. Plus his style isn't really to get into the holes per say.

ajax likes this.
  14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Saw an article last week with Ivory quote stating he believes he's one of the top 5 rb in the league. If he and his agent really feel that way then Ivory isn't coming back.

I'm a big fan and always considered Ivory at his peak as similar player to Lynch. However, Ivory can only play at that level a few times per season. Watching him deal with the inevitable injuries from such a brutal running style has actually made me appreciate Lynch that much more for playing and thriving with that power all year long. Lynch actually looks stronger towards the ending season and in playoffs.

Just like yourself, I think Jets should sign Powel and be prepared to go without Ivory. Although I'd be happy with Ivory in a RB by committee role but I don't see him agreeing with that. This is likely Ivory's only chance in his career to get a good contract.

#74 ajax, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  15. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I would agree if Ivory kept up the production he was having earlier in the season, but he hasn't. Coupled with him being injury prone somewhat, and I likely wouldn't pay him top 5 RB money.

Maybe his money could go towards Wilkerson.

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Whatever he's on, tell him to give some to Winters and Quigley.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Statistically, he's putting out the same yards per carry and yards per catch as every other year. For some reason it's just more noticeable this season.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree with the sarcasm here. He's been a good back that was explosive even when he was stuck behind RBs on the depth chart. Some of the posts in this thread stating he's never been explosive, the ignorant Simms quote included, are basically wrong. He's always had that ability and he was deserving of more snaps last season, but never got them.

Instead, Marty M decided to run Chris Johnson up the middle umpteen million times and couldn't figure out exactly what players he had at his disposal.

Powell has always been underrated, and now that he's getting a chance to produce, of course he's on steroids. Pfft.

It couldn't just be that some of our lesser fans weren't paying attention.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea I take steroids. I eat that shit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If we lose Ivory this team is going to have big problems. It's evident we aren't the same offensively without Ivory in the lineup.
    If we let him walk we'd better have a plan to add another high quality back whether it be through the draft or FA.