McCaffery: the Stanford RB.....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Oct 31, 2015.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of him? I'd love to have him..... I think, He'd be just what we needed.....

2. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

While he's having an awesome year, he won't be eligible until the 2017 draft. Just a sophomore.

3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

He's great. Quick, plays tough and hard. Can be used to catch out of the backfield or spread out wide. Basically what we have in Bilal but with more points for attacking while Bilal is probably a better blocker. Would love to have him. All eyes are going to be on him next year.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think he will get more snaps and be more effective in the NFL as a slot WR. I can see NE drafting to groom him as Edelman's heir apparent like Edelman was for Welker.

Side note: For the life of me I don't get why Barry Sanders Jr doesn't get more carries. Every time I see him play he is juking defenders out of their shoes eerily similar to the way his father use to. He would never admit it, but his decision to go to Stanford instead of OK St was a mistake. His need to get out from his father's shadow led him to MCaffery and every other Stanford RB's shadow since he's been there. I think he should find his way to a NFL roster because the talent is there. At least he'll have fresh legs. I digress.

CleveSteve and Ozymandias like this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought. He looks and plays like Edleman and I think he'd make a great slot receiver.

Or a bigger Woodhead as a change of pace back, not really a feature back, but 10-12 carries plus s bunch of passes out of the backfield.

_

6. TouchyFeely

He could be used really creatively as a runner and a receiver. I'd much rather the Jets get him than NE.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

We wouldn't know how to use him.

8. TouchyFeely

So just give him to our biggest, most successful division rival, right?

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

kid like him you just know will be successful in the NFL. unbelievable genes, good work ethic, tough, savvy player.

10. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

He really impresses me breaking tackles. The guy is a very tough runner. Sets up his blocks well downfield, too.

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Uhmm this guys gonna be way better than Edelman and Edelman isn't bad, actually thinks he's better Wes Welker but that's enough talk white slot receivers. Shouts out to our own Decker tho lol

McCafferry moves kinda like Reggie (Lite), not as fast or quick but he's elusive he knows when to he cut and straight gets away from defenders in the open field. I mean to be white and still be playing RB on a power 5 team like Stanford, that's kinda unheard of and he's dominating the Pac-12. Hes extremely talented and a really good prospect. He should probably win the heisman, I think Henry's overrated.

12. DizzyCow

DizzyCow New Member

I've only really seen this tape plus a few highlights on ESPN and some USC plays, but I'm not seeing many broken tackles or even exceptional elusiveness. Maybe it's a product of good blocking up front, some of those holes were huge. That said I think you're right about his patience/setting up blocks when nothing is there initially. Looks like a smart player who won't miss a hole and knows when to accelerate. Obviously anyone who can run catch and return like he can has value in the NFL. Any other highlights showing him making defenders miss or running over them?

13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He's going to be overdrafted most likely. Remember Toby Gerhart? Kinda similiar in my opinion.

I love his work ethic/character and think he will be a solid pro. But not for where he's going to end up being drafted at.

14. BrowningNagle

huh? hes not anything like Gerhart at all. thats a horrible comparison. they are both white and played college ball at Stanford... that's where the similarities end.

Gerhart was/is an inside downhill running back with average athleticism. He's got 30 lbs on McCaffrey...so he's got more power
    McCaffrey is way faster and quicker, much better receiver and is a lateral football player.

A better comparison to McCaffrey is Reggie Bush or C.J. Spiller

15. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Please tell me this is a joke. He is absolutely nothing like Toby Gerhart.

16. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I don't really look at highlights... just watching the games. Last game I watched of his was against Cal and he was slipping tackles all over the place. He makes it very tough on defenders to get a clean shot on him, and he keeps his balance very well against contact.

17. BrowningNagle

First off- running over people is not his game but are you watching the same video I am and saying he is not elusive? there are countless examples.

Watch that catch and run against Oregon State at about the 1:40 mark of that video again and tell me he's not elusive.... He runs out of the backfield shakes the defender off easily to get open, catches in stride, shakes a defender dead on him, and then very quickly speeds to the outside and burns past like 4 defenders for the big gain. That's a play you will see in the NFL from this kid.

a couple plays later at about the 2:00 mark against Washington, he finds the hole, breaking an arm tackle through it, he then shakes the linebacker breaking the tackle, cuts it up with nice burst straight down field, puts his head down to slip another tackle and falls forward for a big gain. what more do you NEED to see???

#17 BrowningNagle, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Nesquik and CleveSteve like this.
  18. irishwhip03

#18 irishwhip03, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  19. irishwhip03

I didn't say his play reminds me of Toby Gerhart. I'm saying his draft stock will follow a similar route.

You guys love reading stuff that isn't there.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He made exactly one cut during that run, and it was in wide open space. All that run shows was decent top end speed, but nothing special.

His game reminds me of Bilal Powell. Can hit a hole with speed, but not going to wow you with any aspect of his game. Not going to run people over or make them miss often. His best bet would be to land on a zone blocking team where can can make one cut and go.