The Leonard Williams Experience

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Sep 11, 2015.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Snacks wouldn't be in on passing downs.

RE - Williams
    DT - Wilkerson
    DT - Sheldon
    LE - Maudlin

2. Mangold Goldman

Holy overreaction, what do you want him to say? The kid has a sprained ankle. That is Mo's attitude, he is very straightforward and likes to stay in his lane, not very opinionated about things he doesnt know about

FJF likes this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And on other downs?

4. 101GangGreen101

Possibilities are endless to be honest. Depending on the formation, a 3-4 setup could look like this:

3-4 RE - Wilkerson / or Sheldon / or Williams
    3-4 NT - Snacks / or Williams
    3-4 LE - Sheldon / or Wilkerson / or Williams

4 man fronts, you can put Wilkerson, Sheldon and Williams ANYWHERE on the defensive line and they will make plays.

But man who really knows, Bowles will have a lot of fun thinking of ways to get these guys on the field.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball at this point. They have probably 15 guys that are good enough that you're happy having them on the field on 1st down.

DL - Mo, Richardson, Williams, Snacks.
    LB - Harris, Davis, Pace, Coples, Mauldin.
    DB - Revis, Cro/Williams, Pryor, Gilchrist and Skrine when the opponent is in 3 WR set.

Obviously the opposing personnel will mostly dictate who is on the field however it's going to create some serious crunchy problems particularly in the LB group. Pace and Coples both have value in different situations but both are going to have to make a strong case to stay on the field on 1st down. Mauldin probably won't see the field much until 3rd down. Skrine is going to fight all 3 for snaps.

It's a good position to be in for the Jets and it bodes well for the defense maintaining a prime position all season.

Brook! and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles loves his nickel package even in base/early down. It amazes me how he's been getting away with putting less LBs on the field, almost like a college defense.

I think we'll see A TON of this set up, especially against passing teams like NE

Richardson-Harrison-Wilkerson-Williams

Davis-Harris

Revis-Cromartie-Skrine-Gilchrist-Pryor

Br4d likes this.
  7. Br4d

Calvin Pace gets a lot of snaps. He's a vet who understands his job and rarely gets caught out of position. It'll be interesting to see if Richardson takes snaps from him.

Coples is playing his way off the field. He's the guy most likely to see a significantly reduced role. It doesn't necessarily make sense to take the younger guy out of the equation but Coples is playing out of position and the depth chart at his natural position is ridiculously stacked right now.

8. BrowningNagle

Yeah Bowles will still mix in Pace quite a bit. And Mauldin too to rush the passer. But Coples, idk, he's probably looking at his role decreased but it remains to be seen if they sat him a lot sunday because of matchups or if they really don't think much of him.

such a same because I think we've used Coples wrong since day 1. Not only should he play on the line with his hand in the dirt, I'd even be curious how he looks inside- like a Justin Tuck role when he was with the Giants. Coples though doesn't strike me as the type to be good at switching positions.. he might be shot completely in terms of here as a Jet anyway

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Seems that would let Gronk get open over the middle more than even does now.

10. Br4d

In retrospect it seems likely that Rex wanted Coples for his idealization of the 46 defense. The problem is that he lost Revis early in 2012 and never got him back and so the 46 look became a lot less effective. This mirrors Buddy Ryan's experience in Chicago where the difference between a dominant 46 and an ok version was Leslie Frazier as a primetime press CB. Mike Richardson played the other side. They both got hurt, with Frazier never playing another game after his knee injury in the Super Bowl and Richardson playing one more full season before injuries finished him also.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He used that formation a lot in Arizona, used safeties to play the LB spot and blitz, no different than having a LB blitz.

I honestly think he will try to see what the 4 man front will do before he starts playing mad scientist with this group of defenders.

Sometimes the best approach is the simplest, unleash the linemen and see what they can do.

12. 101GangGreen101

That defensive line on passing downs? Snacks doesn't get on the field on passing downs. Put Maudlin in as a outside rusher and I think you got a good mix of players.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Any news on the ankle? Is it a high ankle sprain or just garden variety?

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, hey dmarz45, did your girlfriend ever get to experience the "Leonard Williams Experience?"

So Leonard Williams is trying to take my girlfriend on a date...
    Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmarz45, Jun 3, 2015.
    [​IMG]
    dmarz45

So recently my girl liked one of Leonard Williams pics on Instagram and now he's direct messaging her and asking if he can take her out. I'm not sure how to feel about this lol. He's just a freakin kid. He can't even drink yet. Anyway, deciding if I should let her go out with him so I can try to get some free tickets out of the deal. Idk what to do. Advice? What would YOU do?

Axel3419 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

no I think we'll see that defense on 1st and 2nd downs

16. 101GangGreen101

Agreed, and it just goes to show why I feel Snacks is expendable. Jets can easily plug in a combination of either Wilkerson, Williams or Sheldon as DTs and let one play on the outside.

I see no reason why the Jets would break the bank for a 2 down lineman.

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

there does seem to be some logic to it though. Slowest DB is faster than the fastest DE, and he does like to blitz from the secondary

18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think its Douzable for Harrison rather than Maudlin on passing downs. Bowles likes to bring his pressure up the middle.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Douzable in a nickel/dime formation? No. 2 of Sheldon, Mo, and Williams inside. Coples, Pace, Mauldin, creatively whichever DE left out outside. Douzable can rotate in just like he has been doing sure but he's not playing over any of those guys.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was looking for other's opinions who heard it.

Mo's my favorite Jet, but his reaction was surprising. It was as if he never even heard of Leonard Williams. He didn't know it was a sprained ankle. Just seemed odd to me. I don't care if they like each other or not as long as they play well, but it is of some interest in a "Leonard Williams Experience" thread.