All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Still wanna see what Geno can do with the new offense.. but i'm content.. our defense is fuckin amazing.

hornblower likes this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I'm not the only one not drinking the Kool aid.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He has average arm strength. He is an average QB.

hornblower likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ivory was playing with a pulled groin (something you will be going to work with tomorrow). Straight ahead running was about all we could expect from him tonight.

5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Arm Strength

Fitzpatrick has a reputation as someone with a weak arm because he hasn’t thrown the ball deep very much in recent years. He did throw downfield a lot more when he was playing for Gailey, but statistically did not enjoy much success in doing so. With that said, he did throw 13 touchdowns on downfield passes from 2010 to 2012 so he is capable of making such plays even if he hasn’t been able to do so with as much consistency as many other quarterbacks. And, while he did throw downfield less in 2014, he actually had much better success (45% completions on passes beyond 20 yards past the line of scrimmage as opposed to 27% from 2010 to 2012). Maybe less is more here.

As Jets fans will know from when Chad Pennington was the quarterback, a lack of arm strength doesn’t necessary preclude you from throwing deep because any NFL quarterback can loft a ball accurately down the field. It’s more of an issue when making a long out or trying to fit a throw into a tight window. Often when the Jets weren’t throwing deep, that was attributable to either conservative play-calling or the gun-shy nature of who was under center.

Check out the highlights from his six touchdown performance against the Titans last year (and, yes, I know it’s only highlights and also happens to be from one of the best games he’s ever had). You’ll see some good downfield throws and zipped balls into tight windows.

So, maybe we’re under-estimating Fitzpatrick’s arm, although it’s certainly true that at times he did underthrow or flutter passes that led to interceptions, particularly when under pressure. It will be interesting to see whether he continues to play a game manager-type role with the Jets as he had last year and early in his career or if he reverts to his more “gunslingy” ways when last paired with Gailey.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For those bitching about Fits's down field 'hail mary's', keep in mind that right after Fitz launched the pig skin Indy pulled both safties out of the box for deep coverage which allowed Decker 3 consecutive 15 yard slant receptions and Ivory/Powell 3 consecutive 10 yard runs. 'Scheming' is about more than just the play at hand. It's a chess match.

And remember, Chip Kelly has to watch film and plan his defense with for next week with:

1) Gailey sending Brandon Marshall on deep routs
    2) Gailey sending Devin Smith (fastest rookie in the NFL with EXCELLENT hands) on deep routs
    3) Fitzpatrick more than willing to launch the rocket

all of which means Kelly will plan at least 30% of his defensive alignments with 2x deep safeties. Which means Decker / Ivory / Powell will all have a good game.

JetLifeLo and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jxc

jxc Active Member

I still remember that one deep pass Chad threw against San Diego. We talked about that for years.

phubbadaman likes this.
  8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Bingo!! You nailed it. We somehow couldn't get our ground game going against an otherwise shitty run defense which I found more frustrating than anything. Had Ivory and Powell been able to run with their usual efficiency, Fitz and the passing game would have been profoundly better tonight. As it happens, we didn't need it this time but certainly will against our more accomplished opponents in the future.

9. zombo

zombo Member

For now we settle because the Jets don't have anything better and haven't in a long time. Fitz can play well enough. He is exactly the type of qb that can succeed with this defense. There's time in the offseason to look for better qb options for the future. For 2015, Fitz is the best option and he's not a bad option to have.

NCJetsfan and FlaJet like this.
  10. aussiejetsfan

aussiejetsfan New Member

Sums up my thoughts, Geno is way more of a risk and solid veteran QB play and a damn good defense can really be the foundation for a good season.

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'm happy as a:

[​IMG]

Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

No complaints from me. This was the first game in 5 or 6 years where I wasn't convinced the entire game that there was a really good chance our QB would take the game completely out of the control of anyone else and piss it away entirely by himself. I spent the whole game saying to myself, "This game is soooo boring; this is awesome!"

13. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

I haven't even read through all the comments, but its probably the Geno lovers and quite frankly, should be shot.........

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

which makes him 100 times better than anything we've had in the last 6 years.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

RF is just what this team needs right now.
    STAY THE COURSE!

hornblower likes this.
  16. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Is this a real post? You realize this was after last week's game right? So a 1 game sample in which they ran the ball 60% of the time is brutal reality? Shit if you're trying to make a point at least update it with stats from the game that just ended. You know the one people are fucking talking about. This board is still brutal

#156 cmcm750203, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    JetLifeLo likes this.
  17. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is we knew what we were getting with Fitz, he is going to leave points on the field, he will throw into double coverage, we also know we have a pass happy OC.

We have a stud RB but we pass it anyway, with that being said, we won on the road against a defense that was angry and shut down the strength of this team.

Would you guys rather have Mallet, Glennon, jimmy claussen?

Good QB play will get us a playoff spot with the talent on this team.

If we can get good QB play the Jets will be ok, as far as a franchise QB that's a whole different topic of conversation, because we are not the only team looking for a franchise QB.

I'm very happy with this team right now, maybe not Quigley but everyone else is playing well, I can't wait for Richarson to come back.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

For me the highlight of the game was Sore Luck throwing his hissy fit after fumbling before half ended.

Had nice images of us getting Shady to blow his own gasket in weeks to come.

My prediction is the Beard learns from his mistakes this game (a road win for gods sake :DDDDD SMH in disbelief at the critics) and gets better with all the talent round him.

WE BEAT A SB CONTENDER ON THE ROAD....WHAT IS EVRYONE MISSING????

Cmon guy the rest of the league has gotta take us seriously. This was BIGGER statement than Cleveland

JetLifeLo, NCJetsfan and jxc like this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

A win is a win and all that and that's great. Still wondering how the Jets are going to cope when they get into a shootout with a team that doesn't field a junior varsity secondary and doesn't give the ball away a half dozen times. With the turnovers and field position, the Jets should have scored 35 last night.