Booing Geno

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetster, Aug 9, 2015.

1. NYJetster

NYJetster New Member

What's the betting that 90% of the booing last night came from the glory-hunting "fans" who jumped onboard during the 2009/10 seasons?

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nah...those "fans" left two years ago.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

New York fans are loyal, but they expect winning and greatness from their players. They don't deal with struggling well. Which is odd, since you would think Jets fans would be used to it by now. Geno has earned his share of booing, but not at a practice like last night.

JetLifeLo, JETS1116, FlaJet and 3 others like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

most boo-ers are fans who want Fitz to start but haven't been following training camp

JETS1116 likes this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I wasn't at the scrimmage but for some people booing Geno may just be a natural reflex like breathing air.

While it may have only been a practice the scrimmage was dressed up to look like a game and I really can't blame fans for giving Geno Smith any abuse.

I think it is fair to say that Geno dug this hole for himself and only he can get himself out of it (with tons of help from Marshall and Decker).

Red Menace likes this.
  6. NYJetster

NYJetster New Member

And I guess acting out frustration at home by kicking their dogs and beating their kids is probably another "reflex" for these morons.

JetLifeLo and zace like this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Until the games start this is the best they can do for a story. Who cares if some drunk who has read too many negative Geno stories boos? This daily reporting of practice is overkill. The only thing that matter is injuries. The rest is just noise.

Royal Tee, Pocket Jet and NYJetster like this.
  8. James Hasty

Geno Smith is a grown ass man and after suffering through his incredibly stupid mistakes the last couple years I have little sympathy for him.

Also the idea that booing or benching these guys will shatter their fragile psyche is nonsense. Mental toughness and the determination to succeed in the face of adversity is just as important as arm strength and athleticism. If these guys can't take the heat get them out of the kitchen sooner than later.

ajax likes this.
  9. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

training camp news = ZZZ zzz zzzzz

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I highly doubt those bandwagonners are here after the last two years haha

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't. He was thrown in a 6-foot hole as a rookie and told to keep digging, and hopefully, we all know that when you're in a hole over your head, it's time to stop digging. Geno did the best he could in the circumstances that he was thrust into. He didn't make all those mistakes on purpose. He should never have been on the field to begin with. Anyone who had half a brain knew that he wasn't ready to play his rookie season, just like Sanchez. They both needed to sit for at least year, maybe two. Thankfully, Geno appears mentally tough enough and resilient enough not to have let it bother him. Sanchez doesn't appear to have the same mental toughness.

Were it that Jets fans had the mental toughness of Geno rather than Sanchez.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Let them boo. When my boy Geno proves them wrong. I love to see them eat crow. You never give up on a player after just 2 years.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure: Mark Sanchez was obviously affected by booing. I went to a handful of games and when the crowd started to boo he would lower his head and look absolutely dejected. His body language was horrible. Yet he still said all the right things to the media about it. So I'm not putting much stock into what Geno said in his presser yesterday, I'm more interested to see how he responds if it happens again. Hopefully it doesn't though, because that means he's given them a reason to boo.

14. James Hasty

maybe three

NYJetster likes this.
  15. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

maybe we should not have even drafted either of them

74 and TNJet like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sanchez I agree with. I never liked or wanted him from the get go. Geno has talent, and I think he has a real chance to develop into a quality starter, or at least a solid backup. I disagree regarding Geno.

If we hadn't drafted either, who would you have had playing QB? How would you have addressed the QB position?

17. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

The one thing I think people forget about Geno is that- as inconsistent as he's been- it could'be been a lot worse. Remember JaMarcus Russell? Geno's had some awful games, but he's had some good ones too (MNF at ATL, etc.). He's made some awful decisions (late for meetings, etc.), and some terrible plays. But he wasn't ready, was surrounded by crap, and given a broken coaching situation. He then made that worse with some off the field issues, but he's generally been about what you'd expect when you hand a guy a shit sandwich. I don't think many rookie QBs would have been anything other than inconsistent in that environment either.

This year he has 0 excuses. If it works, he's our QB going forward. If he fails, it's Fitzpatrick until Petty is ready in 2017. So be it. But, booing him now because you are sad that he ruined your 2013/14, is silly. No one was going to save that ship.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

etc=2 games in Miami. :D Seriously though, the Jets had a couple good home wins with Geno at QB in 2013, defeating the Patriots and Saints.

The best news for Geno is the bar is LOW. If he plays average with say 18TD 15INT for the season (16 games), that would be completely acceptable for most fans.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That doesn't really excuse that he doesn't display characteristics of a good NFL quarterback. I'm not entirely sure if he ever will and I like things I see from him. His problems however aren't something that quarterbacks can usually develop or work on.

The ability to feel the rush and pocket awareness is either something you have or you don't have. It can improve but you'd still be able to see the instincts when a player is young. Without that important characteristic I'd say his ceiling in a best case scenario is a middle of the road quarterback. That's both good and bad if he hits that ceiling, but it will only really be good if he can hit that ceiling within the next season or two while we have this roster built the way it is.

It's a big shame because he can certainly move the ball when he's not worried about where the blitzers are, and he throws the ball exceptionally well in the 10-25 yard range. He feels the rush when it's a 3 man rush. The strategy to rattle Geno is simple. Blitz him often in the first 3-4 possessions of the game and he feels that pressure with a 3 or 4 man rush the rest of the game. Hopefully that suddenly changes and I hope it does but I have my doubts.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They did cheer for him when he finished 10 for 13, please put forward both sides of the game.

Jet fans don't want to see Geno fail, they did not want Mark to fail either, but fans don't want to be sold some sort of BS that he has improved then he comes out making the same mistakes that have plagued him the last 2 years.

NCJetsfan, FlaJet, Dom and 5 others like this.