Colin Kaepernick a NYJ?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by championjets69, Jun 17, 2015.

1. timekills

timekills Member

I wouldn't say crazy, but Geno didn't exactly get anyone near the playoffs last year. Blame it on coaching but even twice as many wins isn't doing it. Geno is, so far, a better passer when he's on, but that is rare.

Kaep brings what neither Geno nor Fitz can - a good TD to INT ratio. Less INTs/game than Russel Wilson as mentioned earlier. With a better ball control quarterback and this defense, there is a reasonable chance to double or more the wins from last year.

Mo is very good, but there are four linemen on another team in the AFC East on one team that had more sacks the past two years, and a couple that are as good against the run. Mo isn't the difference in this team making a deep run in the playoffs, although he could be the difference in any one game, admittedly. A decent quarterback who protects the ball and can get the running game freed up makes a difference in 90% of the games, however.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#101 timekills, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    dawinner127 likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If the 9ers are rebuilding and decide to trade Kaep, why would they then give Mo a monster contract in the middle of this rebuild?

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Ooohhh, me, me!! I nominate Russell Wilson. He doesn't have a contract next year so I predict he will be a Jet. Wow, this is really easy and fun. I don't understand why its so hard to be a GM. :)

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

it's just nonsense. this crap isn't happening.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not happening but it's fun to speculate.

You have to get into the playoffs and get hot at the right moment. Kaep's been to the Superbowl and could've easily won it if the referee took his hand out of his pocket on that final play. They're never going to call that in the Superbowl in the final seconds so it is what it is, he wasn't a winner.

He can get us a hell of a lot closer than the Geno/Fitz duo and anything else we've had in the past decade.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is pure speculation on the part of the writer and total BS.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Kaepernick grew up a diehard Dolphin fan and not sure he would want to come here, but even if he did, I would pass. Rather trade for a cheaper QB, use one (not named Geno) already on the team or draft a QB. Petty is going to be interesting to watch, but the dark horse I'm interested in is Jake Heaps. He is very raw, but who at one time was the most sought after high school player in the country and Rivals #1 player.

He had a great freshmen year (TRUE freshman), but no one is sure why he self-destructed after it and moved from school to school never regaining he composer.

"Heaps began his freshman season sharing time with starting quarterback Riley Nelson. Once Nelson was lost to injury against Florida State, Heaps led the Cougars the rest of the season. He improved as the season progressed and had only a single loss in his last six games as he surpassed Ty Detmer's freshman touchdown record that stood for 22 years with 15 touchdowns. In the month of November and the December bowl game, Heaps threw 13 touchdowns and two interceptions and passed for 1,259 yards. He was the first freshman quarterback to ever lead the Cougars in Brigham Young's 29 bowl game appearances. Heaps was named the New Mexico Bowl's Most Valuable Player, breaking some of the bowl's records after leading BYU to a comfortable victory with a quarterback rating of 122.5 throwing 4 TD's with 1 INT. As a true freshman, Heaps threw for 2,316 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions with a quarterback rating of 116.2."

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So Mike Glennon, Darrin Walls, Austin Davis and now Jake Heaps? Anyone else you'd like to add to the garbage heap you think are studs in this league?

9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I totally understand the need to upgrade the QB position. And yes Kaepernick on this roster right now would be an upgrade. But is he a bigger upgrade over Geno and how big of a downgrade would it be not having Mo on the dline. I'm a huge Sheldon fan. I've said plenty of times that if we can only keep one of them u want it to be him. But how good could the rest of the dline be without Mo? Snacks is very good but would he be as good if he's being treated as our 2nd best lineman instead of our 3rd? He gets a lot less attention put on him because of the two guys on the outside. Also we all love L.Williams potential but he's unproven. Plenty of experts though Gholston was the best defensive player in his draft too.

Let's say Kaep has another down year (very possible IMO) and Mo has a Pro Bowl year. Also possible. Are we still as anxious to make this trade next offseason? Or if our QB situation is still unclear will fans rather target a QB in the draft?

Too many questions need to be answered before this is even a possibility. But as it stands right now the Niners have an overpaid average QB. If he came at half the price he's gonna come at Id consider it. But a run first QB with a good TD/INT ratio isn't something I'm jumping to trade for right now.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Who's playing qb for the 9ers if they trade Kaep? Blaine Gabbert?

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

CK in Chan Gaileys offence would be fun to watch.

Not big on his kinda douchy personality but as a football player in the offensive scheme we want to execute he would be a nice fit.

No way I would give up Wilkerson ++ for him though.. No F'n way because San Fran would want a deal in place with Mo's agent before the trade would take place.

The only way it would work is:

SF - Wilkerson + Geno
    NY- Kaepernick

This gives them a QB comp between Geno and Gabert with Mo coming along to fill the massive hole left by Justin Smith.

We move forward with CK in Chans offence!

12. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Why is this thread still at the top? Is there actually a chance this might happen?! :eek:

[​IMG]

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It's the offseason. Happens every year around this time...

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep, and until the Jets find a real QB every QB that might be available is going to be speculated about.

It's amazing that the Jets haven't managed to find a real QB in the draft since Chad back in 2000.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Can't find a good one when your Coach is fixated on picking Defense in the first round every year.

ajax likes this.
  16. Br4d

There's something to be said for that given where most good QB's are picked, which is in the 1st round. On the other hand you can't just take a QB in the 1st unless a good one is available and even then most 1st round QB's don't work out.

You need to be in position to take a QB, the guy has to be there and then he has to live up to the hype. That's a nasty trifecta for a team that tends to win between 6 and 10 games a year and which hasn't won fewer than 4 in the last 18 years.

The Jets have had a single natural top 4 pick in the last 18 years. The QB's available on that pick if they'd chosen to take them were Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

They've traded up twice but the QB's still available at the slot were Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and Rex Grossman in 2003 and Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman in 2009.

Plenty of good QB's to be found in later 1st round picks over the years the Jets have been looking but they weren't there near the top of the draft when the Jets were in position to take one.

#116 Br4d, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  17. jetropolitan

jetropolitan New Member

No chance this happens, but I would make this deal in a heartbeat and I don't understand anyone who says otherwise. I will start off by saying that I hated Kap for a while because of his swag-fag douche personality and I often rooted for him and the niners to lose. However I always came away from watching their games stunned and disappointed at how good this kid was at times. Remember some of those wins @GB in the playoffs? Speaking of the packers what about that game 2 years ago where Kap threw for like 4 zillion yards and outplayed Aaron Rodgers? Allot of people assert this notion that Kap somehow regressed last year, which is interesting because when you look at the stats...

GP GS REC CMP ATM CP% YDS TD INT
    16 16 12-4 243 416 58.4 3197 21 8
    16 16 8-8 289 478 60.5 3369 19 10

His "regression" was throwing 2 fewer TDs and 2 more INTs, while improving his completion percentage and throwing for more yards and going 8-8 on a team that struggled like hell as an entire unit. Kap with the right pieces in place could easily be an elite caliber franchise QB here, no doubt in my mind.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Mo is a top player in the NFL....

...the other is not.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who cares......Who's playing QB for the Jets for the next 5 years

20. Br4d

The 49ers aren't going to trade Kaepernick unless they have a collapse type season, so this is just a fantasy conversation. If the Jets could get Kaepernick we'd be foolish not to move mountains to do it. It's hard to find QB's who have a chance to be great entering their prime years. The only guys who have actually moved from team to team entering their prime in the last 15 years were Drew Brees and Jay Cutler and that's basically the bookends on Kaepernick's value range.

When was the last time the Jets had a 27 year old QB who didn't suck or wasn't already a frequent visitor to the IR? Answer: Never.

The 1966 through 1968 Jets went 29-12-1 with Joe Namath at 24, 25 and 26. That's the best stretch in franchise history.