When was the first jet game you attended?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Oct 17, 2006.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Terrible game? The Falcons came back and won 27-21. How is that a terrible game? In my book, that's a pretty damn competitive game. Close to the end. It may have been a terrible loss but it sure as hell wasn't a terrible game. Furthermore, it could have been 72-0 and it still would have been a great game for me as it was the first Jets game I ever saw and the only one I ever saw at Shea with my old man. The Jets have an NFL Films library of terrible games. Not sure why you singled this one out. We're talking about our first games here. But I'm sure ONLY your first game was Great, right? Get off your Highhorse J*rkoff!

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Whoa, easy there. I'm sure he meant terrible in terms of the Jet perspective, as in we blew a 21-0 lead. Surely there have been worse, yeah.

#122 Italian Seafood, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2005
  3. JetsNation06

Ok if thats what he meant, my bad. I think being up 10-0 with 30 minutes to play, with our first trip to the Super Bowl in 30 years on the line, may be a little more terrible than this one, for starters.

4. Italian Seafood

That and the Miami Mud Bowl would rank as the top two, simply because of what was at stake. Like you said, we could have our own NFL Films library of meltdowns and mishaps.

5. JetsNation06

Agree 110%

6. jetsfaninnc

jetsfaninnc New Member

Polo Grounds...1960. My dad couldn't get us tickets for Giants games so he took me to the old Polo Grounds to see the Titans.

First Jets game...1965.

No, I'm not really old, just got started young (age 7).

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I was at that Buffalo game as well and '98 was by far the best year in my lifetime. We were so damn close. I actually went to 6 games in a row that year starting w/ car at home then Sea at home, Mia on the road, Buf on the road, NE at home and jax at home. The first game I watched on Tv since the Ten game was the AFC Title game and I nearly went to that one but I held out in hopes we'd make the SB and I was going to Miami if we made it.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Dude talk about high horses -you need to get off the drugs. It was a terrible Jets game, perhaps not the worst of all time but probably in my top ten IMHO...tone it down a little bit - I don't know you and I can assure you the fact that you attended the game with your 'old man' has nothing to do with my statement nor was I intending to 'put down' your first game. I recalled the game and I'm sure most every Jet fan would agree it was terrible from the Jets perspective....

9. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

2001 jets v.s patriots 13 point let down, i was 8.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

you're only 13?? My lord :eek:hmy:

11. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Mine was the Jets/Dolphins 1994- fake spike game.
    I still havent recovered.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're enjoying S. Florida's coverage of the Dolphins now. I know I am. :up:

Their future as a whole looks pretty bleak now. Back in 1994 they were still held in pretty high regard around the NFL. Since 1993 the dolphins have not even made it to an AFC championship game while 90 of the other 121 professional franchises have gone that far according to a recent article in the sun-sentinel....things couldn't look better.....:smile: :finssuck:

13. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i believe it was jets- broncos pre-season game, 1992? maybe 93

#133 SOWELLisGOD, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  14. nyjunc

Are you sure it wasn't the '93 opening day? i don't recall any Jets-Broncos preseason games.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hey what are they saying in SE Florida on WQAM about both the U & the Dolphins?

16. steviep

steviep Active Member

I knew my first game was jets v. rams at shea. I didnt know what year exactly. As it turns out -- i think that the jets played the rams only once in the 70's at shea so it wasnt hard to find. I used pro-football-reference.com to figure out the year/week.

Once i had that -- I googled the score, year, etc. and found this guys site. No bad for a non descript regular season game that took place over 30 years ago.

17. steviep

steviep Active Member

Unforunately, there are two many bad moments -- and 95% of the jet moments are bad (except for the Super Bowl and the Monday Night Game.)

The worst five to me. (There actually are worse individual games -- but in terms of significance to the season/franchise):

1. Fake Spike -- led to a total collapse of the season -- and then to the hiring of Kotite -- and a plunge into the dark ages.

2. The Browns Playoff Game and the Gastineau Roughing the Passer.

3. The 81 Playoff game against Buffalo (Bill Simpson)

4. The Playoff game against Pitt

5. Mud Bowl

18. Italian Seafood

The only one I would change is I'd replace the 1981 playoff game with the January 1999 loss at Denver. Especially when you know what happened to Vinny on opening day the following season and then Parcells and Keyshawn leaving, it turned out to be our one and only shot with that group.

The 81 game was a return to the playoffs, and though it was a tough loss, it was a stepping stone to going further the next season. Your other four I think are spot on. All represented the end of a Jets era and thrust us ultimately into rebuilding. Think about that fake spike game--we entered the day 6-5, playing for first place, and that touched off a 4-33 stretch.

19. nyjunc

I disagree about #1 mainly b/c it was a regular season game in the middle of the year and secondly b/c in the long run I think that game was GOOD for the franchise.

We were onlly 6-5 going into that game so even if we won we would have been tied for 1st at 7-5 w/ a tough remianing sched to play so there is no guarantee we'd have made the postseason anyway. Let's say we win that game and finiah 9-7 and either get a WC or just miss out on the playoffs, then we still have Pete Carroll and we never hire Kotite. if that happesn we just keep spinning our wheels. W/ Kotite being so bad it forced Hess to make a bold move for parcells which started a new era in 1997 and outside of 2 injury plagues rough seasons we have been one of the best teams in the AFC since 1997.

i would put den at 1 b/c we would have won the SB, the Mud Bowl at 2 and Cle at 3. Pitt is up there but my dad died a week later so it changed the way I felt about that game.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You forgot abiut the Philly game who we have NEVER beaten when we broke Cunninghams leg & the sub whipped us after we were ahead by many points?