Jets were being paid to honor members of the armed forces?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pocket Jet, May 11, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The real shocker is how Budweiser hasn't unfurled a giant beer banner with 1000 drunk white guys wearing NASCAR hats pulling it tight

Antoni and Hobbes3259 like this.
  2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is so stupid. This a marketing program run by the armed services. Should the TV networks air their commercials for free too?

Ralebird likes this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I say very, very, very chintzy :mad:

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

If you watch the movie Draft Day with a Curve you would see that this is how successful football teams conduct business

5. Charlie Kelly

6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If the armed forces didn't advertise, there would probably be need for a draft........

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The first thing I can remember on TV growing up is seeing a National Guard commercial following Jim Plunkett and Marcus Allen beating
    the Washington Redskins....... Mongo is confused?

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Like this?
    [​IMG]

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wow just wow and you got some other fools to like your post. Military jobs are not like others "who go to work everyday" Are you kidding me? Maybe if their job was in some 3rd world dump and its 130 degrees in the middle of the day without air condition. I can't believe you posted it. There is more I want to say but you don't deserve it.

Bellows1 likes this.
  11. boozer32

I agree it is pretty sad. Especially when you have troops on welfare and young women soldiers getting WIC. The military could have used that money to build better on base housing and facilities. I get there is plenty of waste to go around in Corporations, Pentagon etc but the kicker is the NFL is tax exempt and they don't need the money. The Commisioner gets 40 million a year. Woody is busy using that money backing losers like Mitt Romney and now he is managing fundraisers for Jeb Bush.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  12. Charlie Kelly

Yea and I'm pretty sure that's not the only car sponsored by the armed forces

13. Sect120

Sect120 Member

Military jobs are voluntary. People who join the military are doing it knowing that it is voluntary and that they may be putting their life at risk. They also know that they will get great benefits and many of them love the service aspect.

So no. . . I don't have an overwhelming desire to heap praise on people who are doing their job. I will reserve that for people who are more deserving.

14. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

More deserving?? Tell that to the many, many troops who have lost limbs and lives since we have been over there. Or better yet, their spouses, children, and family members. People who do their job, do in fact deserve praise. Perhaps that is what we all fail to remember as a nation. The fact is many people don't do their job as serious as they ought to or take pride in their work.
    It was merely a pre-game or halftime mini presentation to show some praise and gratitude. They represent our entire nation when the put on a uniform and go to a foreign land in harms way. Everyone deserves some praise and attention for doing their job well. But you go ahead and wait for someone more deserving.

15. boozer32

What great benefits do they receive. Yes it is voluntary and that makes it more admirable. When they had the draft and forced people to go into the military it was far worst. The attitudes and moral were terrible. If you want comparable experience go to your boss and tell him I want a reduced salary and move into a tent for a year. Then work 16-18 hours a day for a flat rate 7 days a week. Now tell me you know of similar type jobs in this country. I'll wait for that answer.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. Charlie Kelly

Don't forget the substandard medical care

boozer32 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  17. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks to those of you that understand what it means to put life and limb on the line for our nation.

Some ignorant takes from some people on this board. I read most of them and just shake my head because many have no idea what it is that the military do. I wasn't going to waste my time replying to any of their nonsense, but it amazes me that some people have such a skewed sense of reality.

A job, yes it's a job. But it's a way of life.

You volunteer, and during that voluntary duty you are not only putting your self at risk, but you're also asking your families to accept the fact that any given moment you can be deployed. Let's not forget the glamor of getting paid what works out to be peanuts. While I was in, I worked an average of 60 hours a week (not even counting deployments or field exercises) and I topped off at around 35k a year as a Sergeant. I lived in a barracks for part of it that NO college kid would ever be caught dead in. Then, I was fortunate enough to move into new base housing, which was nice but nothing special. Some of my other Marine friends that were married lived in shitty base housing that couldn't qualify for section 8 housing. Family medical benefits with tricare prime are good I must admit, but our own medical treatment was average at best. So yeah, we were living it up.

Lot's of normal jobs call for month long training in the field, sleeping under the stars or in a hole with no communication back to your family. Lot's of other jobs put you in foreign lands where the people would get their hands chopped off for having an opposite point of view than those in charge. Lot's of normal jobs have 19 year old kids with immense responsibilities like running fire teams or squads of other people with their lives in their hands. Oh yeah, and lot's of jobs see their coworkers one minute, and then see them dismembered or dead the next.

So stand or don't stand during a game to salute us, that's your right. Whether you stand or not, little Johnny Smith is down at MEPS raising his right hand and volunteering himself to protect that right.

74, Bellows1, FJF and 2 others like this.
  18. boozer32

Well said and thank you for your service.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it takes a special case of stupidity to strip the value and necessity of what that "job" provides to our country and claim it is just a job.

Receiving benefits, regardless of how great or small they are, doesn't negate the risk that is undertaken, of which the greatest benefit of that risk is enjoyed by everybody in this country, including morons like you who don't even recognize you receive more benefits from their service than they do, but are too self absorbed to understand when you benefit off of the work and sacrifice of others a bit of gratitude is the least you can offer.

20. Gunther

Gunther Member

I do not admire military people one bit. I feel sorry for them for the most part. No one will move me across a fucking board to serve their selfish purposes.