Calvin Pryor Player Assessment So Far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, Oct 17, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just read 5 redrafts from SI, USA Today, NFL.com, WaterFootball and Bleacher Report and ONE had him in the top 10. In fact all of them had either Carr or Bortles ahead of teddy.

What were you reading? JStokes.com?

I don't know that this is the best way to form an opinion on a GM...

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Was on the NFL Network 3 or 4 days ago. There is no reason to make stuff like that up.

Teddy was the best rookie QB last year.

QB is the most important position in all of organized sports.

Houston does not have a legit franchise QB.

The Texans SHOULD have drafted Teddy.

WE should have drafted Teddy.

_

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

With our lack of depth at the cb position, he was asked to drop back and cover, instead of showing us these great ball hawking skills. this will be a good year to see if he develops now that the defense has corners.

4. JStokes

Bucky Brooks. Here you go for your viewing pleasure.

Draft do over number 1 is Teddy and "he will be the next great quarterback in our league". One guys opinion but I don't need to make this stuff up.

_

5. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say you made it up. I'm just pointing out that for every 1 person that says Teddy was the best QB in the draft and should have gone first overall, there are 4 that don't even think he was a top 10 player in the draft.

6. JStokes

Well I discount everyone's opinion that doesn't line up with mine :D

Teddy SHOULD have been our pick and we'd be set at QB for the next decade.

_

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know the hype for Clowney was over the top, but they didn't need Clowney at all. I know, I know...BAP and all that, but as you know, QB is more important than anything, and they needed one as desperately as the Jets did/do.

8. NCJetsfan

How else do you form an opinion on a GM's abilities as a talent evaluator, but based on whom he did and didn't take in the draft? He wasn't making the final decisions in Houston, but that still doesn't mean what he thought about Teddy wasn't/isn't important. A GM can be evaluated on many things:

1)His abilities as a talent evaluator is perhaps the most important. Which prospects he thinks are the most likely to develop and play at a high level, and who can best fit his team's systems. His abilities in assessing the talents of players already in the NFL and how they would fit.

2)His abilities in terms of putting together a team. What he prioritizes, what his philosophy is regarding the draft and FA. How aggressive or passive he is. His abilities to correct roster deficiencies, such as lack of speed, lack of playmakers, lack of depth, holes at a position, etc.

3)His abilities to assess the abilities of those under him (Scouting & Personnel people, HC, coordinators and the rest of the CS, and FO personnel), lead them, and ability to resolve conflict and get all to work together.

4)His abilities vis-a-vis handling the salary cap.

5)His abilities with regards to negotiating contracts and trades

IMO the first two are THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of a GM's job. I'll forgive one for perhaps not being the shrewdest or toughest negotiator if he has a great eye for talent and putting together a team, but not the reverse. IMO that's what the Jets need most...a great talent evaluator who can fix the roster deficiencies and turn this into a perennially competitive team.

9. BroadwayAaron

Maybe it's in the way you worded it then. It sure sounded like you were implying you would be worried about his talent evaluation if he wasn't in favor of taking someone 20 something teams passed on.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Bold Prediction ,Calvin Pryor makes the pro bowl next year.With Revis ,Skrine,Millner & Gilchrist Pryor will have less pressure on him and he will be back playing the part of the field he is more familar with.It sounds crazy but I think he's gonna have a break out season

11. NCJetsfan

It's both. I would be worried if he wasn't in favor of taking Teddy. I don't give a rat's patoot about what 20 something other teams did. I only care about the Jets. Houston needed a fQB worse than we did, because that was the only thing holding them back from being a real SB contender. If he didn't think that Teddy was that good a prospect, then I will have questions and some worries about his abilities as a talent evaluator. Everyone makes mistakes. As long as his aren't frequent and limited to QBs then, I won't have a problem with him, but say for example that Mariota is sitting there at #6 and he passes on him, and I find out that he was in favor of passing on Teddy, then I'm already starting to think that we may need a new GM. Finding a QB is the hardest and most important aspect of his job as a talent evaluator. If he passed or was willing to pass on the two best prospects that he had the opportunity to take, then I have my doubts if he ever finds a QB.

12. NCJetsfan

I never liked or wanted Amaro. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on him. I would have taken Matthews over Amaro 10 times out of 10.

legler82 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was drafted before we were on the clock. Jordan Matthews was one of my favorite receivers. Allen Robinson would have been a good selection also.

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I would have taken Matthews also if he was available but he wasn't, and I was not a big Amaro guy at all but he looked a lot better than I thought he would given the circumstances

I wish they would have traded up for Matthews but they didn't, and now that they have Amaro I'm actually optimistic about his ceiling

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He was projected as a first rounder actually. He was the top QB on everyone's boars after the college season ended and then he fell hard leading up to the draft.

I still don't understand it.

If you don't think he is going to be a solid pro, you haven't watched him play. He was hands down the best rookie QB in that draft and anybody saying Bortles is the better of the two needs to actually watch tape of the two instead of throwing out bullshit opinions based on merit alone.

Bridgewater would have been a steal had we taken him.

16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Assuming, of course, that he performed at the same level with the Jets.

I love it how people state as fact what is pure speculation.

17. BroadwayAaron

Welcome to TGG, where everyone's opinion is fact.

18. JStokes

Your opinion matches up with everyone else's who has extensively watched him play.

It's much closer to "fact" than folks "facts" about him being a second round projection or Geno fans dumping on him because they didn't want Teddy taking his job.

Bridgewater would have solidified our QB position for s decade plus and with this defense we'd be contending every year.

The best QB in the draft and the best QB prospect since Luck. And fucking Idzik left him on the board.

Fuck you John Idzik.

_

19. JStokes

I loved Jordan Matthews, that guy is going to have a great career

_

20. BroadwayAaron

Again, going into the draft the guy was a projected late first rounder or early second rounder with at least 2-3 QBs going before him. Find me a mock draft from any respectable website that says otherwise. And I'm only bringing up mocks because you brought up the 1 guy who had him first overall (who had him 26th in his final mock before the draft).

Facts though.