Todd Bowles doesn't need an Elite QB to win games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Mar 24, 2015.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

The only thing U can build around a jag is an outhouse. In Geno's situation it would be like this..
    [​IMG]

#121 FlaJet, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Jets69 likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A Flacco would work.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Eli isnt elite Rapistburger usally shows up every season Eli has a history of some terrible years that other qbs considered elite have never had

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Rapist-berger can carry the team...Eli not so much. Can't take the rings away from Eli tho. I'd take Rapistberger, but man I hate that mofo..

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

How long before the N.Y. Post has the headline "Toilet Bowles" if the Jets play poorly for a few weeks?

greenbeanz likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

2 L's in a row oughta' do it.

greenbeanz and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Both of you are judging after the fact. (more below)

Some of the QB rating stats you listed are a bit different from those I found at ProFootballReference. Here's what I'm seeing:

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady - 23 TD/12INT 85.9 QB rating
    Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady 28 TD/14INT 92.6 QB Rating
    Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger - 17 TD/9INT 98.6 QB Rating
    Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning - 23 TD/20INt 73.9 QB Rating
    Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger 17TD/15 INT 80.1 qB Rating
    Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning - 29TD/16INT 92.9 QB rating
    Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco - 22 TD/10INT 87.7 QB Rating
    Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, - 26 TD/9INT 101.6 QB Rating

Brady, Manning and Flacco's QB ratings were under 95, some substantially so. Ben and Wilson's QB ratings where higher, but I'd argue that much of this is due to the offenses that they ran. They were in run heavy offenses that defenses stacked the box against, allowing for easier coverages / play action, that kind of thing. In 2005 for example, Pitt was last in the league in pass attempts at 379. League avg that year was 514. In 2013, Seattle was next to last in passing attempts with 420 while the league average was 566.

In short, when these QBs won SBs with their teams, they weren't playing at the level of "elite QBs". This notion is one of the reasons why people correctly question whether Eli and Flacco are "elite" QBs. Eli has won 2 SBs, but his career passer rating is <85 even if you leave out his disastrous 7 starts his rookie year.

The list clearly shows that Bowles is absolutely correct in saying that you don't NEED an "Elite QB" to win a SB. You need a solid team with a good QB.

8. LongIslandBlitz

If you don't need an elite qb to win a Superbowl then how come we haven't won a Superbowl since our last elite QB in 1969?The closest we got was with Rex,I don't belive Bowles is a better defensive coach then Rex on any level it hasn't been proven yet.If Rex had a real elite QB those two years we likely have a Superbowl trophy or two

Red Menace and FlaJet like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we had a chance with Chad and Mark. Neither were elite. Injuries and inability to put the QB in a situation succeed? That's what happened to those QBs

10. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

The post would do it for 2 L's in the preseason

11. LongIslandBlitz

Yea Poor Mark needed Megatron ,Jerry Rice,Chris Carter,Antonio Gates,A Num 1 Ranked o line and Emmit Smith to win a few games because he made the guys around him worse instead of better.The only way he would have looked good was with that line up of guys.How's a garbage WR gonna get better when Sanchez is throwing the ball over WRs heads and to the other team every week.The Eagles were stacked last season and Mark brought them nothing

BigGreenUgly likes this.
  12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Would U say he almost sucks as much as GeNO??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many people don't understand this.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, I can honestly say the Mark we see now isn't even a decent QB - I think in 2010, he was good enough for us to win it all with the team we had assembled. We had a pretty good overall team back then.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah that second Dallas game last year showed Sanchez to still be the guy who won't win a big game for you. Instead he lost a very winnable game for the Eagles. I suppose that was a good thing since at least it put a cork in the posters here who otherwise would be saying we should never have let him go.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Mark sanchez played as well as he possibly could. our defense and running game were top 3. and we STILL couldnt even get to a superbowl, let alone win one. I will disagree that eli manning is not an elite player. He has been up and down but he has at the very least had some elite seaosns (i.e. 5000 yards 30 TDs). Joe Flacco isnt elite, he is on that next tier, but he played elite during that run. he is the exception. maybe once every 10-12 years you can sneak in with a flacco with a ton of luck.

no the colts dont get to a superbowl without manning. because without manning they dont win 12-15 games, they dont get a bye and homefield, and the run game and D are irrelevant. Manning gets a bye liek every year, he is so good he constantly gives his team a chent o get to the SB. same with Brady. when you are that good and give your team that many shots at the SB, eventually you are gonna crack through. a guy like mark sanchez rarely gets you in the playoffs, let alone with a bye.
    without brees they dont even get there. thats what you are missing. clearly you need alot to go right in 3 phases to win it all, but you dont even get that opportinutiy to get there without a top 10 quarterback. and if you do, its not often (i.e. flacco). the top QBs have their teams 2 wins from a SB every season.

having someone like brees can certainly stop it.... by getting first downs and keeping him off the field, or by hanging up 30-40 points.

What happened to sanches in 2012? 2013? oh right, he sucks so we couldnt make the playoffs. if you dont have an elite qb you arent winning it all unless everything else goes right, you have a ton of luck, and even then its a huge uphill battle.

elite QBs you are eventually winning a title or getting to a SB

17. jerseyjay14

we never had a chance with mark. we got as far as we could with him. at some point in a playoff run your qb needs to not just play well but carry you. vs pitt the D couldnt hold up, we needed our QB to carry us, he couldnt. same vs. indy the year before.

18. 101GangGreen101

Eli Manning was never an elite QB. This just goes to show even more, you don't need an elite QB to win it all - doesn't matter the time span or anything, it has been proven.

Peyton never wins a SB w/out that defense or run game. At the end of the day, like I have said, you need to be firing on all 3 cylinders to win. Peyton played like shit that post-season. So again, this proves you need more then an elite QB to win it all - which is what this discussion is about.

Tell me, how have the Saints done lately with an awful defense and Brees? Saints don't even GET to the SB w/out a defense that generated an absurd amount of turnovers. Go back and watch when the Jets went to New Orleans, Brees ain't do shit it was that defense that killed the Jets that yr. Saints generated so many turnovers and scored so many points. Saints would've made the playoffs if Brees wasn't elite. That defense was surely elite that yr.

We had one of the worst teams in the league those 2 yrs. Who was Mark throwing to? We had no defense even with Rex being the HC.

This is all about winning the big game, the QB will help you get there - and that's MIGHT, but at the end of the day you need to be playing well as a team. Plenty of teams have won it all with average and above average QBs. People are too obsessed with elite QBs, only about 5 in the league. That QB doesn't have to be elite, as long as they aren't turning the ball over.

This is bullshit. The Jets D stops Big Ben on 3rd down we get the ball back, more than likely score and go to the SB. We did not go as far as we could w/ Mark.

19. jerseyjay14

Eli might not be elite, but he has had elite seasons... with eli it is consistency, not talent level.

5000 yards and 30 TDs isnt elite?

you do need an elite QB, cause while peyton sucked in that post season, the colts dont even make the playoffs without him. you are only factoring in 2-3 games. you need to factor in the entire season. you have to make the playoffs to win the superbowl. and without an elite QB you arent consistently getting first round byes and home filed in the playoffs.

without an elite QB, you are basically left with hopes and dreams having a magical run.

i doubt they make the playoffs those years without brees. it is alot easier to generate turnovers when you have big leads and can pin your ears back knowing the other team is passing and has to pass to catch up.

thats exactly my point. if you dont have an elite qb, you arent even getting to the playoffs. mark had no one ot throw to.... and since he sucks that killed any chance we had to win. if we had an eltie QB, they would have been able to carry us even with crap wide outs. for instance... Brady had no issue getting to the AFC championship game with reche caldwell and jabar gafney. he had no issue getting to the championship game and SB with terrible defenses.

You need an Elite QB just to get to the playoffs consistently. unless your team is stacked and the stars align you have no shot at a superbowl without an elite qb.

you have to get to the big game first. and you arent getting there without an elite QB. sure there are outliers and exceptions. but overallwithout an elite QB you can pretty much kiss your SB aspirations away.

but they didnt, because pitt had an elite QB who was able to come through and lead his team to the SB.

and thats my point.... mark needed his d to get a stop. an elite QB would be more likely to hang a 30 spot up ro keep there offense off the field with 3rd down conversions.

mark played as well as he could. it wasnt enough. eventually you need your QB to carry you to win a championship, not just play good, but carry you

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

what kind of dumbass story is this, if I recall correctly this is the same garbage Woody barfed out and Rex to, hmmm