Horrible Play Calling Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Oct 15, 2006.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Actually they are NOt going for the jugular, this team and CS has no killer instinct YET. I hope it develops but the same things happened in all 3 wins- get out to big lead then put it in cruise control instead of knocking the opponent out and in each game the opponents had a chance to tie the game w/ the ball in their hands on the final possession. it hasn't hurt us YET but if we keep playing around like that it eventually will. it needs to be corrected soon.

2. nyjunc

then why was Coles complaining to Schott that they needed to send him downfield?

chad is THE reason we have 3 wins right now.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Must you be ridiculous?

4. nyjunc

you don't think Chad is the main reason we have 3 wins? have you not noticed in the past 4 years when Chad plays we win alot more than we lose and when he doesn't play we lose alot more than we win? We have no running game and an atrocious D yet we are throwing it well. Chad is THE reason we have 3 wins.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

OK let me indulge for a moment here.......Are we led to believe that every single time Chad has thrown 4 yards into a 3rd and 6+ that it was the coaching staff? If that's the case then you can put the blame on Herm as well because he's been DOING IT SINCE DAY 1.

I think you just like to debate things, regardless of how absurd it is.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Granted Chad IS the reason we've won 3 games. Or is it Coles? Or is it we played crap teams. Chad is competent, we all know that, but we also all know he checks down way too fast. If you care to ignore the fact, that is clearly your perogative, but I will disagree until my last breath.

7. UK_Jetski

UK_Jetski New Member

I think the coaching staff has got too wrapped up in calling "unpredictable" plays in obvious situations - the 30 yarder to McCareins as a case in point. This may be because the CS believes the opposing team will execute better than we will if we use a more conventional playcall... at some point more faith is needed to be placed in the players' abilities to execute the basics.

We were lucky and this game further exposed the weaknesses of our D, but it is still a win. I hope that the level of scrutiny the players performance is supposedly subject to by Mangini will also apply to the playcalling. It will need to get significantly better if we are to have any hope of having a winning season this year...

8. nyjunc

We had Coles last year w/o Chad- how did it work out? coles has been great no doubt and he is also a major reason we are 3-3 BUt the biggest reason is Chad.

9. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Well it's easy to compare good to utter crap and make a point, but it doesn't change the fact that Pennington checks down too fast.

He checks down too fast. Has no zip to beat tight coverage. Too fast......checks down.....no zip.

One more time to see if it penetrates......too fast...check down, no zip.

10. nyjunc

he has plenty of zip, alot of his passes are shorter and in tight coverage. Does he check down too quickly? I don't know, it's hard to tell from the TV coverage b/c you can't see the routes being run and you can't see what he is seeing. When the opportunities have been downfield he's taken advantage but we don't have any real deep threats.

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Chad is extremely limited, but I think overall he is an above average QB. That says alot more about the state of QBs in the NFL then it does about Chad but that doesn't change it. Other then the obvious names I don't think there are any QB's I could say I'd definitely rather have then Chad.

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Plenty of other QBs with less talent manage to get down field. When they blast open a 3 or 4 receiver set, I highly doubt there's nobody downfield. Harrington managed it yesterday alone. Our D sucks, granted, but out secondary isn't all that bad. He made critical zip throws where only the receiver could have gotten it.

I have NEVER seen Pennington pull that off. He can't even run the sidelines down on a critical last drive. He's a floater.

13. nyjunc

We can only compare it to Jet Qbs that played w/ Chad. Under hackett or dinger did we go downfield w/ Vinny or Brooks? No and we had a deep threat most of those years. Chad is taking what the defense gives him, hes' gotten it downfield when it's there and hasn't when it isn't though the last 2 weeks he looks completely different than the guy we saw the first 4 weeks. Maybe you are right the last 2 weeks.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Pennington assessment is very good. However, I disagree with you (and WinstonBiggs) about the state of QBs in the league. I think it's pretty good.

I have Pennington behind Brady, Palmer, P. Manning, McNabb, McNair, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees, and Hasselbeck.

I have him about even with Grossman, Bulger, and Delhomme.

So Pennington is between 10 and 13 in my book.

15. nyjunc

When healthy Chad can make all the throws he needs to make, he's not limited. he doesn't have a rocket arm but you don't need one to be successful. When he's healthy he has more than enough arm strength to make allt he throws he needs to make.

16. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I have no idea what he's doing out there. I think Chad would make a fantastic QB coach. I think until we have a guy with a good zip pass, we'll always have these games where it could go either way. It definitely limits the play calling, as 3rd said. Somone else also mentioned way too many trick plays. I tend to agree with that as well.

17. John127

John127 New Member

Actually, yesterday Chad didn't check down enough!

For those of you who think he does it too much, were you at the game or watching on TV? On TV I know it's hard to tell sometimes, but at the game I (and those around me) was surprised that Chad was actually staring down his first read and trhowing regardless of coverage way more that he usually does. I'm sure others who were at the game can back me up on this. That being said, it may not be his fault and may be a product of yesterday's game plan, including the many inside slants (which I was NOT a fan of - first game where the playcalling pissed me off).

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I'd knock Rivers and McNair down below Pennington. I'm going to need to see some more from Grossman as well before I go too crazy. I think after Brady Palmer Manning and McNabb it's pretty much a toss up with the rest of the guys you mentioned. I'd probably put Pennington in the 7-8 range.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You obviously had a better view. I do know what I see though, and it's been a habit of his to dump off into short yardage.

What really killed me yesterday was 3 times in a think a quarter and a half they call that ridiculous lateral pass to the wide-out. I hate that play. Always have. I don't think we've ever had the personnel to pull that play off.

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The secondary is all that bad. Rhodes is good but developing. Dyson is solid. Miller or Coleman shouldn't be starting and the FS is non-existent.