how does Leon Washington only get 11 carries???!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Oct 16, 2006.

1. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

seriously....he gets only 11 carries in the game after rushing for 100 yds against jax last week. he had a 5.5 YPC avg against miami. barlow shouldnt have gotten his hands on the ball nearly as much as Leon, let alone have MORE carries.

Leon proved he could be that spark plug in the backfield we need. and instead of giving him a bigger work load, barlow is out on the field.

we better see more of # 29 next week...we need to have the ball in his hands much more often than he had this week.

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

sure i agree leon is a great back but hes not ready for being an everyweek starter. It may have been Leons own choice think about it. Hes a small little rookie he wont be starting every week

3. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

leon is putting together decent numbers when he gets into the game. his yards per carry is better than barlows. barlow is only getting about 2.8 ypc. leons avg is over 5.

after running for 100+ yds against jax he earned more carries this week. i wonder if mangini has too much faith in barlow, or not enough in leon.

running leon more cant hurt the running game any more than it already is. he carried the ball 23 times in jacksonville...he should have had close to that many carries again this week. hopefully we will see more of him against detroit on sunday.

4. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

His choice to limit his own workload....YEAH, i'm sure thats happening.

The coaching staff is stubborn, they need to give him the ball more instead of trying to prove that barlow is our guy. It just isn't working.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he should be used a little more but not based on getting 100 yds in garbage time at jax.

6. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

I was at the game and was shocked that I didn't see Washington in the game more. There was a noticable difference in the second half when they substituted him in for Barlow.

In fact, I remember this one play he made where he cut back into the hole and nabbed about 6-7 yrds on a play up the gut. It was sick. He looks like he could be a real find for you guys.

All you need is a defence now.

7. nyjunc

Alot of that has to do w/ the dolphin D getting used to facing a more bruising back like Barlow. Barlow and Leon compliment each other well and both played fairly well yesterday but i'd like to see leon more involved in the passsing game.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

After watching the 2 of them run I'm not sure how you could make a case for Washington not getting 20 carries a game. The only situation you could even argue to have Barlow in there is on * and 1 or * and goal. Not only is Washington extremely quick and fast, but he is hard to bring down despite being very small. Several times yesterday we saw Dolphins lay a shot on him and he kept going.

9. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

Maybe they should employ a strategy similar to how Pittsburgh did it last year with Parker/Bettis. Get barlow in on the short yardage/goal line stuff and let Washington take it between the 20's. Also, would be great to see Washington on some screens in the flat when the rookie lineman get more up to speed.

10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

His yards per carry are good because BARLOW DOES ALL THE TOUGH INSIDE RUNNING which is going to lead to a lower average. Washington is playing well but his #s are also a product of what he's being asked to do.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

guys - i cautioned everyone last week about anointing LW as the feature back.....hes good and definitely deserves more carries but, IMO, he is not feature back material and should only be that if others are terrible - as is pretty much the case with barlow, askew and blaylock.

i know the experts said that about T. barber and some have said it about bush - but the best approach with these smallish runners is give them 10-15 carries, 5 passes - even using them as a WR at times - just giving the defenses something to worry about. for the record barber and bush are bigger than LW and in the long run likely prove to be more physically durable.
    for the veterans on the board - LW may be our present day bruce harper and the giants version of dave megget.

RB still MUST be a jet priority this offseason and no matter how much success LW enjoys the position is still upgradeable. keep stockpiling young weapons on O and spread the ball.

jil

12. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

i dont believe all this he isnt to big enough hes the same size as warric dunn and dunn has been a stasrting rb for a long time and he seems ot be holding up well he jsut need to get stronger and that will come but he definatly has the ability to be that warric dunn type of rb buit you need a cedric houston to spell him and for goal line situations

13. nyjunc

early in Dunn's career he was sharing carries just like Tiki. i think that approach has saved both players and is the main reason they are so successful today.

14. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Garbage time was after the coin toss!

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

He got 11 carries because we have 2 backs who shoulder the load. Together 20+ carries for about 100 yards. Stop complaining.

16. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

And who are the bigger backs that are doing a whole lot better? Ronnie Brown is average; Deshaun Foster is always injured; Corey Dillon is sharing a load; Edgerin James is enjoying about 2 yards a pop; O.K., Steven Jackson is solid; Chris Brown can't stay healthy; where's Ahman Green?

The last time I looked, Travis Henry was still solid, Kevin Jones has finally broken out for a bit; Shaun Alexander, when healthy, is under 6'; Warrick Dunn, Clinton Portis and Tiki Barber had pretty darn good careers so far!

What's your point? I just think people are conditioned to automatically think what the so called "EXPERTS" (Like Mel Kiper and other nerds who still have not played yet), think is prototypical and take it as gospel.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

you sure about that? ive barely seen any outside runs. leon just picks a hole, hits it fast, and makes next level defenders miss.

I'm not one who hates barlow, he gets no blocking and has the power to grind out 2 yards from nothing.

but washington should be getting more carries than him at this point. I'm sorry, yesterday it was very obvious. forget JAX, everytime leon came in he made plays and has the toughness to stretch carries longer than they should be going. not to mention big play ability.

any fan who questions him now must think leon is made of plastic just cause hes short. im sorry but hes the only person whos grinded out yards from our non existant run blocking. i'm still holding out on houston cuz Indy's run D is almost as bad as ours. so im not calling home about that game.

18. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

Leon's the best back we have...and you play your best players. I was going crazy yesterday seeing as how Leon got nearly no touches in the first half. I think a combination of the two backs is the best choice, but it was a one back offense until the second half (when the offense got going...)

This goes hand in hand with the playcalling yesterday, too. Why throw to Barlow in the flat who doesn't have a single big-play bone in his body? At best you're getting 7-8 yards. The offense didn't look very sharp yesterday, atleast Laverneus played like a man possessed.

19. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Every time you "noticed" a Jets RB yesterday it is Washington, not Barlow. Washington is producing, period. He should be given the opportunity to be the every down back, he's earned it.

Due to the fact he is a rookie, I have no problem with Washington being subbed for a series each half, though. Right now, that can be Barlow, but when Houston gets back it should be Ced. Leave Barlow for short yardage (because I definitely don't trust Askew with that role).

20. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

I loved how Leon played. Great spark he gave us. He should be getting more of it for sure.