Poll: Who do you want as head coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Jan 3, 2015.

?

Who do you want as our next head coach?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2015.
  1. Doug Marrone

12.3%
  2. Dan Quinn

47.5%
  3. Tom Cable

2.0%
  4. Todd Bowles

6.4%
  5. Frank Reich

7.8%
  6. Gary Kubiak

13.7%
  7. Somebody else (please specify)

10.3%
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So you want mcdaniels who has done less than Kubiak as HC?

Hmmm..o_O

2. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

OK, so maybe disaster is too strong a word, you're right he was decent. But is that our goal, to be a team that hovers around 8-8 or 9-7 forever, never winning in the playoffs, even if we improve our roster? Is mediocrity what we're shooting for???

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

But just because he was something in one place doesnt mean that will repeat in another. Guys learn from experiences. Bellicheck, Carroll, Coughlin, these guys got fired from NFL jobs as well.

Just because the Texans overall were pretty mediocre under him doesnt mean the Jets would be. JMO

#63 kevmvp, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Red Menace likes this.
  4. Red Menace

It depends, is the trajectory of the team that is 8-8 up or down, it's ok to be 9-7 as long as the drafts stay strong and the team is a couple of players from getting over the hump.

I prefer Kubiak, because I don't want Hacket jr following DM to the jets with his fathers system in tow.

We have been down that road before and I want no part of it as a jet fan. I want a proven commodity on offense and with the talent this team has on defense I think Kubiak and the new GM would hire the right guy to keep this defense strong.

I don't think Wade Phillips would be hired by Kubiak either.

5. Truth4U2

What do you mean? McDaniels' offenses in NE were ranked #1 in 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been there, including a record-breaking season in which the Pats made the super bowl and Brady threw 50 TD passes. That's a lot better than anything Kubiak has done. (of course he had Brady but still)....I know Kubiak was a little better in his last HC stint than McDaniels, but McDaniels wasn't awful either (8-8 and he did draft DeMaryius Thomas and some good defensive players)

6. Red Menace

Im referring to josh as a HC, is that not what you are looking at when you are talking about Kubiak?

7. Truth4U2

I noticed that after I made my post and edited it above....but even comparing Kubiak's HC record with McDaniel's, Kubiak was a little better but he had a much better roster overall to work with. McDaniel was 8-8 his last season in Denver, but he was much younger too, so maybe still learning the ropes, and he did draft Demaryius Thomas and some good defensive players, he seemed to have a hand in personnel matters as well with some success...

Red Menace likes this.
  8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am actually warming more to Kubiak than Marrone. He has been to the playoffs. His record is similar to Marrone but he went to playoffs a few times. My first choice is Dan Quinn, or, whoever the GM that is hired FIRST, wants

Richiebsweet likes this.
  9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I chose Quinn. There is just already too much drama surrounding marrone for my taste. Quinn's resume and style sounds pretty good to me.

Marrone might end up being ok, depending on the rest of the staff. Hackett though... REALLY not a fan.

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

used to be pretty meh on Dan Quinn but suddenly he looks really good with all the talk about Doug Marrone

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He also didn't quit on his team so thats a plus.

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

See, I do not view it that way. Marrone executed a clause that he had legally negotiated in his contract. That is foresight on hi (or his agent's) part. This is the pros. The coach gets paid and the players get paid. There is no desertion. He has no obligation to them if his contract is up--and it was. There was new ownership coming in. Coaches get skittish about new ownership. MarronIf theory he had reason to believe they might go in another direction. So why not find out where he stands, especially while he has 4 million guaranteed coming in next season? If they had really wanted him they would have done something. And if he waited another year he would have nothing coming in and maybe only one or two positions to vie for as head coach. At least I know that he is smart. I am just not sure how good he will be.

13. OverloadBlitz

I understand he was looking out for himself and the coaches under him under new ownership but he missed the playoffs by losing to the Raiders, he has no 1st round pick next year, Orton retired and EJ regressed under his offensive minded watch so no QB, you don't think any of that played into his decision to opt out? Get out of here he quit because he knew he couldn't improve on a 9-7 record next year and the new owners weren't going to give him a contract extension unless he improved and actually made the playoffs.

14. John1234

John1234 New Member

I think an ex player like Reich might be the way to go. He had that same toughness that Harbaugh had as a player. Marrone is Mangini--same schlubby look. I just think he dooms us to a few of 6 and 10 seasons, which culminates in a 2017 rebuild.

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Guess what I way I want? A coach who has an understanding of the ENTIRE game of football. When Quinn hire a OC who initiates a plan that he understands and approves. Can Quinn do YOUR job as well as his job. I don't care if I am wrong! Please tell me WHY I am wrong. And go into great length.

Brook! likes this.
  16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

So he is supposed to stay there and lose or let the owners get rid of him because they want to go in a "new direction?" That would be dumb, and hardly disloyal.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

How about at least putting feelers out to college guys like Malzahn and Shaw? If you're going to interview so many people then you might as well inquire to see if some of the top names in college would be interested in the job. I don't get why Jets brass and the consultants don't look into these guys at the very least.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

my preference would be am offensive innovator with hc experience but u don't believe there is one available. Josh mcDaniels would be cool but I doubt he gives the jets the time if day. outside if that I'd prefer an offensive minded coach with recent success. the Oregon coach who is running chip Kelly's offense to a tee would be nice.

19. OverloadBlitz

So he couldn't improve on a 9-7 record but tried for an extension anyway.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I can't believe how many people here will give up on someone because of the opinion of one shit journalist.