Jets fans handing out #KeepJohnIdzik pieces of white paper

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 19, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

2015 + 2 is 2017

2017 - 10 is 2007.

The Jets records so far:

2008 8-8
    2009 9-7
    2010 11-5
    2011 8-8
    2012 6-10
    2013 8-8
    2014 3-13?

AT WORST, it's 2014, 2015, 2016 years of BAD football. The Jets have been mediocre overall though.

I don't think people realize how BAD the raiders, browns, lions, etc have been while the Jets have been pure mediocre in that same timeframe. I'm not saying that we aim for mediocrity, but if people think the last 3 years have been rough, you (not you specifically, general you) are in for a RUDE awakening.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would you say anyone hates Idzik.? Do you think it makes your point more valid? Idzik is definitely here to patch holes. The General Manager has an obligation to keep the team competitive at all times. that means when injuries or player failures make the team less competitive those problems are dealt with immediately, not put off until the next draft or free agent period. The team needs to compete every time they are on the field; only after that can they compete long term.

3. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

You guys either don't understand what rebuilding implies, or you ARE against it, one or the other. Rebuilding pretty much implies sucking for a bit, because you need to tear down the crap you have and build everything up anew. With very few exceptions, this does mean you will suck while it happens. Most of the moves the anti-Idzik fans here wanted him to make (such as signing Revis, Cromartie, starting Vick), they would not be rebuiding. And now you guys judge him because the team sucks during the 2nd season of the rebuild, which is actually exactly what's supposed to happen.

No, that's the ridiculous mindset espoused by instant gratification NY area fans and media, the exact mindset that has kept the Knicks from winning anything in decades, and is now trying to screw up the Jets. You don't build the team to compete right now, and THEN build it to compete long term for championships. That's not how it works. Championship contenders are generally built with a blueprint and an eye on the big picture, which quite often necessitates sacrificing short term success. You can't just go out and sign every player that helps you right now, you first have to see how they fit into your long term plan, and if they don't, you pass on them, and do worse.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

LOL

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Probably started by the same dink that punched out that Bills fan.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You are not a fan of the game or the team if you don't see the need to compete every time the team is on the fan.

7. GangGreenBlues

That's how successful teams are built, whether you like it or not. Have you heard recently how Magic Johnson said the Lakers should just suck, because you want to be either really good, or really bad (so you can get really good later), not the mediocre crap in the middle. It's no different than investing money in education, a short term sacrifice to ensure long term success.

FJF likes this.
  8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Agree. Short term sacrifice, Idzick, Ryan, and Geno....

9. Section316

Section316 Active Member

This season has been so downright awful that I've stayed away, but everything surrounding this team right now is dangerously toxic. And I don't mean John Idzik either.

John Idzik might be a great GM. He might also be a fucking horrendous GM. I really don't care if he's fired because we don't know. But I have a supreme objection to why he would be fired, because the thought process, media/fan frenzy, and angry mob type thinking that would ultimately lead to it, is not conducive to creating the environment necessary to putting together a team that can win over the long haul, a team that can be a consistent contender. You see what's going on around this team, around the Knicks, and you see why teams with rabid fanbases in gigantic media markets often find themselves stuck in the mud, not winning anything. The Jets, the Giants, (they're an exception because they've won 2 absolute fluke superbowls with mediocre teams, but the process used to get there is NOT sustainable) the Knicks, the Mets, the Toronto Maple Leafs, so on and so forth. All over the sports landscape you see teams that are so popular that they can't get out of their own way because the natural bumps in the road associated with the extremely grueling process of putting together a winning team from the ground up turn into frenzied soap operas, and unless the ownership and management of such a team has a strong enough backbone to not give a fuck, the teams give in and half ass a team instead of going through a full multi year rebuilding period.

I have no issue with people wanting John Idzik fired. None. The team is awful this year. Everyone's job should be open for consideration. But the lack of any sort of long term thinking surrounding the frenzy to get him fired scares the fuck out of me. Where did he go wrong? What should he have done better? Who should come in and replace him to do a better job, and how? For the most part, this frenzy does not exist because the Jets are a directionless rudderless ship. The Jets aren't that at all. The Jets have a metric ton of cap space, an incoming top 5 pick, a young, affordable, elite front 4. The best offensive skill talent (QB aside obviously) that they've had since the flight boys, sadly with noone to get them the ball right now. The direction of this team is pretty clear. They're gutting and building back up. People want the general manager fired because a year that might have been designed to produce 5-7 wins has produced 3. And ultimately, that doesn't fucking matter one bit as far as the long term construction of a good team goes. Demanding sweeping changes due to lack of results instead of lack of sustainable process, and then the mob getting their wish, rarely will EVER lead to anything good. Because if the Jets lucked out a couple of more wins, or signed some mediocre, cap killing corners better than the hot dumpster trash we have there now, we would be NO closer to actually putting together a team that could compete for a VLT, but nobody would want the GM fired. That doesn't seem like a line of thinking that ownership should be using to dictate the long term direction of this franchise.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

You make some good points but there wouldn't be an angry mob mentality and constant fan outrage if we were winning games .Idzik should have never been hired to begin with,if Woody was gonna keep Rex he should have kept Mr T as well.Keeping Rex and hiring a new GM in Idzik with his own agenda was a disaster waiting to happen.Idzik has seemed overwhelmed all year and literally did nothing to improve the team this season with 12 draft picks and 50 mill in cap space .He isn't capable of handling the NY market ,did you see his interview?he's incompetent and seems out of touch and incapable of leading us out of the ashes into something we can be proud of one day

rammagen likes this.
  11. Section316

Section316 Active Member

My issue is less with John Idzik being fired, and more with the thought process behind it. I don't think anyone hires a GM of a senior citizen team in salary cap hell and expects them to be competitive in 2 years. I don't think any GM goes into a season 20 million dollars below the salary cap expecting to win more than 8 games. You go into the season 20 million dollars below the salary cap because you know you have no chance at contending, and you're not going to hamstring your ability to do so in the future by committing to long term deals for marginal short term gains.

If you're going to make sweeping changes after a year designed to not get many wins, shockingly, didn't get very many wins, then what type of changes are you really making? Is the thought process that the new guy must continually improve in the win column every year to keep his job? That's no way to build a team that can actually be a contender, not a team that can cross their fingers, and hope the ball bounces their way as a wild card. That's what the Jets have been for, well, for fucking forever, and not coincidentally, they don't win championships. They don't even contend for championships. And when they come close, it's a short lived high followed by paying for it because instead of building over time with cost controllable youth it's with free agent signings, trade ups, and acquisitions of massive contracts for aging players.

It seems to me that all this hooplah over Idzik being fired and the house being cleaned isn't so much about Idzik taking this team in the wrong direction, but about how we want to be that team again. And I've seen that team. My entire life. It doesn't work. And it doesn't last. I'm sick of the Jets being that team. I don't know if John Idzik is going to be a good GM or not, and for the sake of this argument, it's almost not even relevant, because the Jets simply HAVE to let someone try and build the team the way he wants to. Maybe it turns out that he isn't the guy. You know what, I'd rather waste another 3 years to find out that Idzik isn't the guy than to shit can him in year 2 of an obvious tear down due to lack of wins, because I'll know RIGHT AWAY that the thought process behind such a move isn't one that leads to winning, but mediocrity and wheel spinning. Or in more familiar terms. Jets Football.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If Idzik fires the entire fucking scouting department before Black Monday, I'd give him a 5 year contract.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

If Idzick fired himself I would give a three year deal as a capologist..

14. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

they need to clean house because idzik has shown he does not know how to put together a team. And for everyone saying he did a briliant job with teh cap I could have done that it is call cutting people and not signing anyone.
    When you have a young qb you need two good receivers but there were times when we ran out salas and nelson as starters. that alone should get you fired
    when rex is the coach and you know he needs dbs you get an injury prone 3rd rnd pick and a guy who played in 8 games out of 32..Another fire-able offense
    You panic and spend money you were trying to save on a receiver in Harvin breaking what preached and gave up a pick ( a 6th rounder with the way this guy drafts it might have been the best move)
    gets Geno the living turn over preaches competition and ther eis none and geno sucks and we are forced to watch him every freaking week. But he has surpassed sanchez in turn overs in 29 games while throwing 7 less tds.......

I have no faith in this person being responsible for the next 3 years of this team or finding the next head coach. Crap he could not sign a corner back when they were in his building for christ's sake

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so how many of you picked up your free toilet paper? :D

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The main reason Idzik need to be fired now is we either need to fire him now or give him two - three more years. With what I've seen from him so far is I am not at all comfortable giving him 3 more years so have to get rid of him now.

17. Section316

Section316 Active Member

Stuff like this. I don't get. Where would DRC have us? He's the living, breathing definition of a mediocre player on a huge contract. By the time the Jets are any good around him he'll be a Bart Scott like drain on the cap. So what the fuck would signing him have accomplished? 5 wins instead of 3? At best. Drafting 2 slots higher? There was no long term reason to commit that kind of money to a career mediocre player on a team going nowhere.

This is the issue I take. People don't want the GM fired because they don't want to rebuild the team. Look at the New York Sports landscape. We have 9 teams here. Over the last 20 years, we've had 2 legitimately great teams. The Yankees and the Devils, over approximately the same time period. Both of those teams were built slowly, through the draft, going through several years of absolutely sucking beyond belief to put those teams together organically. And the end result were dynasty like results from both teams.

The rest of NY/NJ sports has been a colossal mess of mediocrity for the most part. The Rangers have been better than mediocre in large part because they have the hockey equivalent of Tom Brady, plucking a hall of famer in their sport's most important position out of the 7th round, and even that hasn't been enough to get them over the hump. You go up and down the sports landscape, in all 4 sports, and outside of flukes like pulling Tom Brady out of your ass, the best teams have been built with patience, and understanding that very poor seasons are part of the process to sustainable long term success. We have one year where we're awful, and we have an angry mob wanting to clean house. I know where this ends. With more of the same.

18. GangGreenBlues

Yeah, great post, could not agree more. This is the exact reason I stopped being a Knicks fan in early 2000s, when it became clear to me that they weren't interested in rebuilding at all, and were just going to refill the team with 2nd rate veterans time after time to remain competitive. Why would I want to root for a team that doesn't make an effort to win the whole thing?

Now these loudmouths and the media are trying to turn the Jets into the same type of joke. I really hope Woody won't fall for it, because as an owner who has some pride in his product, I hope he wants to actually win something one day and not just be an also-ran.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Three great posts in a row by Section316. Read them and then go look at the fireidzik guys and ask who you think has a better idea of where the Jets need to go to finally get over the top.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Adam Schefter
    3 mins ยท
    Jets owner Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former Texans and Redskins GM Charley Casserly as a consultant in the event the organization decides to make any changes, per league sources.
    The jobs of Jets head coach Rex Ryan and John Idzik both are very much in jeopardy and, should the Jets make any changes, Johnson would be ready to move forward with the football expertise and manpower he would need surrounding him.