Linebackers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jonnyd, Oct 8, 2006.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

for as long as ive been a jet fan, our linebackers have sucked...and guess what? this year, our linebackers suck. barton is decent, vilma is decent(even though most people in this forum think he should be in the hall of fame already....thomas is not a linebacker hobson is and always has been a bust....that chatham character has been a bag of shit...all in all, our linebackers suck...agree disagree? and sunshiners please dont start with the "one blowout and everyone says the sky is falling" nah nah, all year-linebackers suck.....and I know the d-line is worse, but I wanted a new topic

2. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

Every unit on both sides of the ball has sucked today.

LBs of course are no exception. All in all, I think Vilma is too athletic, smart and diligent to not do well, regardless of 3-4/4-3. Barton could be our best LB'er and pass rusher. Bryan Thomas is making a huge transition to a different position, and while I think he is still learning, the early returns are that he can in Mangini's 3-4. Hobson has been a bust. The things he was supposed to do well coming out of Michigan (covering TE's and rushing the QB) we have seen none of in NY. All the plays he makes, it seems like any LB'er would make. Hobson is the definition of a JAG (Just Another Guy).

Having said that, when you have a 3-4 NT that is absolutely and consistently over-matched, the ILB'er really don't stand a chance to make plays because they have O-Lineman all over them every play. If we upgrade the NT, I think you'd see much better LB'er play.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Vilma badly needs to move outside, Hobson is a dumbass, and Bryan Thomas is like a fast-moving cactus with big eyeballs. But the most glaring weakness is on the line.

4. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

chatam and kassell suck and I dont know why they get playing time. Kassell was brought in to be a run stopper but is slow as shit and hits like a bitch

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What ever happened to Schlegel? Didn't he have the best week in practice? Isn't he the tallest midget?

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Vilma has been awful in the 3-4. Barton has made plays atleast... Both of our OLBs are liabilities in coverage and don't generate a passrush. Meaning they are pretty much useless...

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Hobson, Thomas, Kassel and Chatam must be some of the stiffest LBs I've ever seen. These guys don't move well in space at all. The whole front 7 needs an overhaul.

8. Khan

Khan Active Member

The Jets linebackers were never good since you've been a fan? I know Marvin Jones/Mo Lewis is a little further, but we also had Farrior, Cox later on in the 90's...Cowart wasn't bad that one year but then Vilma came in.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

every time the D gave up yards today, Thomas was on the screen. this was his worst performance yet. why in the world was he in coverage?

cheers

10. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

We had a pretty damn good LB core in the late 90's.... one of the stronger groups in the league. And in the early 80's it was decent....

11. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

roman phifer wasn't bad that one year either...

anyways, yea kassel really looked horrible, maybe it's time to give schlegel a look

12. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

Just two years ago our linebackers were our biggest strength. Vilma, Barton, and Hobson, along with Abe, were the best players on the defense. The one thing I don't get about Mangini is why he insists on the 3-4 when we do not at all have the personell for it. That is what's killing our defense more than anything.

13. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

Vilma, be it the system or an off year, had another TERRIBLE game. Being as it was a blowout, i began to watch individual matchups...

On TOO MANY PLAYS, vilma started in one gap, and instead of being patient and staying put as is needed in the 3/4, he constantly ran to where he THOUGHT the blocks were going. OVER and OVER they ran to EXACTLY the spot where Vilma WAS at the beginning of the play, but had then vacated. So frustrating to watch by the 5th time...

-Rex

14. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

I thought it was interesting and revealing that they started Brad Kassell at ILB next to Vilma. Kassell looked about as bad as possible, but it seemed to light a fire under Barton at least in the short term. When he came in the Jets Rush D stiffened. I wonder if Manging was trying to motivate him?

15. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

We need big, fast and athletic Linebackers on the outside. The Chathams, Kassell and Schelgel are not the answer. Why did he cut Myers and Darell Mcclover who did a decent job for us the past couple of years. We don't need good nerds to succeed. We need frickin football players with talent. I haven't seen much from the guys Mangini HAD to get in here. This is so frickin unbelievable.

16. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

Vilma is tied for 2nd spot in tackles in the league - 40 Tkles in total. & Barton is sitting at 37.

Yes he can be more effective, however lets fix the dline, get some olb's that can play and see how much more we can get out of vilma and Barton.

17. chef

chef Banned

a decent D-line will make those LBs look MUCH better

18. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

agreed chef u fu**** homo erectus with a fag for a qb

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

tell your almost pro bowler DT.. to do something a vilma wouldnt get blocked on every play. robertson is the holding vilma back not vilma.. when the only need one lineman to kill our NT our mlbs are going to suffer ask ray lewis.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

except for the outside linebackers who are dredfull. hobson and thomas wouldnt start on another team. there terrible.