Mariota and Winston Championship Games

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 5, 2014.

1. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Alabama is the best team in the nation, and it isn't even close. They have one of the best defenses in the nation, if not the best, a stout OL, with an excellent run game, and they have the best Wide Receiver in the nation, who WILL annihilate Florida State's secondary. Oh and Blake Simms, he's playing well too!

2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I disagree with them being the best team in the nation and it not being close. It's certainly not FSU but Bama isn't all that impressive. if Mizzou has ANY kind of offense it would have been an alot closer game.

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I laughed almost too hard at this Lmao

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Winston looks like a pro QB already. He sees the field tremendously. And for all his bullshit off the field, he is a great leader on the field. I'd take him. Hopefully we have the chance to get either him or mariota as I like both prospects, if we have the choice however, Winston should be the guy

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Like 42-28?

_

6. aburre

aburre Member

you do know a report came out and said that those autographs weren't actually authenticated right and an expert said those signatures don't seem to match his real signature right? Nobody said they paid Jameis. Nobody saw him sign any items in sequential order for a sit down. The article is on ESPN, they didn't give the retraction as much airtime though lol.

Jameis has been accused of every crime in the book now...even shaving points(an allegation that originated on a less than credible site[IncarceratedBob] and was then talked about by Clay Travis in an article because he hates FSU and then made its way to TMZ). It's starting to seem like a public witch hunt to me. Riley Cooper said the n word and didn't miss a game but Jameis saying an internet meme is cause for a suspension lol?

But Mariota absolutely deserves to be the first QB taken. Jameis should slide to the 2nd round. Not that I think he's guilty, because I absolutely think that he did not rape that girl. He just needs to to be taught to not put yourself in those types of positions, keep your head on straight and stay away from drama. The only way I think he'll get the message is if teams show him that his talent doesn't mean squat by passing on him in the 1st and showing him that your reputation is important and precedes you. I hope he falls to the 2nd.

7. aburre

aburre Member

FSU can compete with anyone but Alabama is going to be a hard team for them to beat. FSU's CBs Darby and PJ Williams have gotten beaten deep frequently this year and they're going to have to deal with Amari Cooper. I don't think anyone in their secondary can match up with that kid. Not to mention, their running game is dominating and as we saw against Notre Dame, FSU has problems against the run and also against mobile QBs.

Alabama's defense has a better chance of stopping FSU(because of their defensive line and also because Greene is not really a deep threat). Alabama struggles with big physical receivers that can go deep and attack the ball in the air. If FSU had Kelvin this year, they'd murder Alabama though.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

That's what has me wanting Winston over Mairota. Just the field presence and the ability to stay in the pocket and read the defense. I don't want to take another gamble on a running QB and Mariota runs A LOT. Take a QB playing in a pro like offense who can make throws from the pocket. Winston should be our pick

Red Menace likes this.
  9. JStokes

Hold on a minute. So because there was a report out or one expert couldn't authenticate that means that all the other reports or experts should be dismissed?

Winston never claimed he didn't sign any of them, he said he didn't sign ALL of them. But he did sign some.

And he didn't get paid (yet) for them so that makes it ok.

I get that it's a silly rule but it is a rule and he broke it.

But that shouldn't matter.

What should matter is a series of issues surrounding the guy. And no one will ever know the truth about the rape story. I for one hope it's not true.

I like him as a player. The ONLY issue is can you trust him over, say, a guy who is just as good as or better and who has NO issues.

Full stop.

_

10. aburre

aburre Member

Marcus Mariota has authenticated items out there, every high profile athlete does. Jameis has signed for a lot of fans out there. But If another authenticating website says they can't validate the signatures because Winston would not show up and they never saw him sign anything in person(which is required for them to be authenticated), how can another website authenticate those same signatures from the same seller? The person the other website(that claims they are authenticated) got them from is the same one that tried to sell them to the other company but they couldn't buy without authenticating them. He(the seller who claims to have got Jameis to sign) tried to sell those same exact sequential signatures to the first authentication business and they wouldn't buy them because they couldn't be authenticated.

11. JStokes

You've convinced me. Jameis had no involvement in any of those autographs and was never paid anything.

He seems to be smarter than to get caught up in anything like that.

_

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming. He's going in the top 5.

13. aburre

aburre Member

do you want me to post the article for you? So you believe Jameis signed things because of an article by Darren Rovell saying he searched an authentication website and found authenticated items purpoted to be signed by Jameis Winston but you don't believe the same man when he writes an article that basically questions whether those items are truly authenticated because another company refused those same items because they couldn't be authenticated? Wow, the agenda is strong with some of you.

And I hope you know Winston told FSU a lot of those autographs were fake and that he didn't sign the ones they were showing him.

14. aburre

aburre Member

Maybe will...I hope for his sake, that he falls to the 2nd round

15. JStokes

I've read all the articles. On both sides.

You're an FSU fan. You believe what you want to. Blinders, as it were.

I'm an objective impartial outsider.

I'm balancing all the articles I've read. Eyes wide open.

_

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it all from a football perspective.

I don't want Mariota. I think he will be a very good QB and has amazing talent but I don't want him, and here's why:

I am not gonna compare Mariota with any other running QB because frankly, he is very good and does not deserve to be compared to the likes of Geno Smith, RG3, etc. But let's look at his numbers in college.

Passing the ball, Mariota is a stud. His first year in the league, 2012, he threw the ball 336 times for 2677 yards, 32 TD, and 6 INT. In 2013, he threw the ball 386 times for 3665 yards, 31 TD, and 4 INT. This year, 2014, he threw the ball 372 times for 3773, 38 TD, and 2 INT.

These numbers show great positive progression every year and consistently good decision making with very little turnovers. But let's get to the reason why I do not want Mariota.

In 2012, he rushed for 106 attempts with 752 yards. In 2013, he rushed 96 times for 715 yards and this year he has ran the ball 117 times for 669 yards. In his career, he ran the ball 319 times.

Now this is very alarming to me. Was he good rushing the ball? Yes, absolutely, but how much of that led to his success as a passer and how much of it translates to an NFL offense? As a defense, you game plan to stop Mariota on the ground. By doing so, you pull back slightly on your pass protection to keep him contained. If his receivers are covered, he runs the ball and he runs the ball A LOT. He is what we call a "dual threat" QB, and not something I want on this team. The question then becomes, how much of his success will translate into the NFL? If he is relying on his legs a TON in college, what makes people think that he will be able to eliminate that factor of his game in the NFL and still produce like he has in college? Again, you are taking a gamble on a running QB in hopes he can scale back his attempts and perform just as well. Very tough to do in the NFL.

Let's now look at Winston, who I feel needs to be our pick:

Unlike Mariota, Winston has played two years in the league. In 2013, Winston threw 384 times for 4,057 yards, 40 TD, and 10 INT. This year, 2014, Winston threw the ball 422 times for 3,559 yards, 24 TD, and 17 INT.

In 2013, he ran 88 times for 219 yards, and this year, 50 times for 82 yards. In his career, he ran the ball 138 times.

Winston = 138 Carries
    Mariota = 319 Carries

Now, many of you point out his interceptions in his second year, and yes, I agree, he has had a semi rough year, by his standards, but you have to look at the entire picture. First off, Winston lost many weapons on offense, including his starting running back and his best wide receiver, a HUGE threat who caught 15 TD last year. He was put into this season with one receiver he had some sort of chemistry with, Greene, and other young guys. The defense lost 7 or so starters, thus putting a TON more pressure on the offense. Yet in all of that, Winston still threw for over 3500 yards and 24 TD. Not Mariota numbers, but an entirely different offense and situation.

Winston is a pocket passer. He sits in the pocket, reads defenses, and only uses his legs in a last ditch effort. Mariota relies on his legs way too much for me and it scares the shit out of me that he will be yet another NFL bust who was a running QB.

Winston needs to be our pick, not just because of his game attitude, his leadership, and his skill set, but just because taking a running QB is not what this franchise needs.

#256 Falco21, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    NYJets17 likes this.
  17. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Jameis will not make it out of the top 5 picks, hell he might even be the first QB taken! HOPEFULLY BY US!

18. aburre

aburre Member

and what article did you read to come to the conclusion that he signed autographs for money?

19. aburre

aburre Member

I watched the draftbreakdown video of Mariota against UCLA and I don't like their offense. They run a lot of bootlegs, do a lot of trick plays/misdirection and a lot of the time Mariota is not sitting in the pocket but scrambling and throwing. With that said, the kid is an elite talent and it is not his choice to run that offense. His body of work is great and he knows how to protect the football. I think he should clearly be the first QB taken.

20. JStokes

All of the articles that didn't include Winston denying it and Jimbo ignoring it.

Nobody has "proof" one way or another but I'm not naive to think he's completely innocent or blameless.

Believe what you'd like. You're an FSU fan, I'd expect you to believe everything you want to believe and nothing that might cast doubt on your team and favorite player.

It's ok.

There are folks that still think OJ is innocent. He WAS acquitted, you know.

And no one ever pinned anything on Ray Lewis, but we all know.

_