Would Woody Pay Jim Harbaugh $10 MM to coach ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 3, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The people who are clueless are the delusional Rex fanboys on this message board who like to pretend that a defense-first head coach, whose team has used all of its 1st round picks in its last 5 drafts on defensive players, has had no influence on, and therefore has no responsibility for, the roster.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the thread title be " why wouldn't Woody pay Jim Harbaugh "

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no denying that Harbaugh has been a very successful HC, and probably a very good HC too. The thing is, he seems to be an asshole, just like his brother. I can't imagine Woody paying anyone $10 million to be the HC, especially while he's still paying Rex, but even less so with someone who is abrasive/arrogant.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Would you still do it if the Jets wound up having to give SF multiple #1 draft picks, or high picks (say a 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year)?

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If Harbaugh can sell PSL's and rejuvanate interest in the Jets, Woody will pay the $$$. It doesn't count against the salary cap and he saved a ton of money the last 2 years anyway.

Remember why Rex was brought here in the 1st place: Woody fired Mangini, Belichick-Lite, because he needed PSLs sold and after the collapse of '08 he needed a fresh start.

So I think Woody is leaning to bringing back Rex UNLESS he feels marketing-wise it's better if Rex is gone. I don't doubt that is the case if he can get Harbaugh. It's not clear if Idzik fires Rex and brings in one of his Seattle buddies if that is gonna help.

Woody isn't stupid. He knows he can probably fire Rex justifiably if they finish 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 -- whatever (I assume they don't go 1-15 and collapse and quit on Rex which isn't too farfetched. Or a few more injuries that simply leave the team noncompetitive against even the dregs of the NFL). But the fans aren't putting up billboards and websites to can Rex -- they want IDZIK out, not Rex.

If Woody fires Rex and keeps Idzik who brings in Quinn (a defensive guy !!) or even Bevell, if the NY papers rip him, you've got a major problem. Woody isn't Leon Hess who ignored the paper slings (anybody remember the 1994 front page headline "DUMB AND DUMBER" after he fired Carroll and brought in Kotitie ? ), he's sensitive to it especially when he has super-expensive seats and PSL's to sell. Woody and Leon were both billionaires, but Leon purchased the Jets for a total of $50 million or less while Woody paid $600 million plus a new stadium that cost another $900 million. No, Woody isn't like Fred Wilpon needing to borrow $$$ from the NFL but he isn't Paul Allen either with tens of billions of dollars. Woody has about $2 billion in other assets besides the Jets according to my financial sources so subsidizing a loss or even less profit of $20 MM or $30 MM or more from the debt service of the stadium isn't small potatoes to the guy.

Bottom Line: Woody knows something has to change after this year. If Idzik (a cap guy) defers to Harbaugh (who knows college personnel with his contacts) if he is brought on, that's an easy choice to KO Rex. If Idzik returns and brings in a new coach, the Jets are gonna have to spend BIG in FA to assuage the fans (and the press) -- assuming they bring in no big name coach.

The only good news for Woody is that the Giants aren't much better this year, too, it appears. In the meantime, while he awaits the end of the year and some big decision-making, he can root against the Eagles and Sanchez. :D

Axel3419 likes this.
  6. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is an NFL coach...period....why go back to College and the recruiting trail when he will be the most sought after HC in professional football...? Michigan ties or not.....

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Woody will never get away with firing Rex no matter what the record is unless he has somebody better to replace him with..Harbaugh would pass that test as would Cowher or Chucky but none of them would want the job.

8. Ted

Ted Member

Depends on the wording in his contract when it comes to trading him. He almost wound up in Cleveland last season but the Browns opted to go in a different direction and keep their picks.

Michigan fired the AD not coach. Now most believe that Hoke is done but he does have a small faction of boosters on his side. The big one is Steven Ross who loves Hoke but Ross is on record saying he wouldn't be opposed to a change.

The difference in dealing with college kids and pros is the college kids have no guaranteed money or ability to be signed as a free agent should they be cut. Nick Saban is the perfect example of a guy who didn't like the attitudes of NFL players so he went back to where no one would oppose his point of view. Harbaugh is the same type of personality.

No secret he wants to win a SB because you can achieve nothing greater in the NFL. But rumor is that desire is not as strong as it was.

Michigan brings in approximately 150 mil annually in football revenue. They would only need to increase the head coach salary that Hoke gets by 1.5 percent to put him in the 6 mil range. Money won't be an object with Harbaugh. Where money would be an influence is pursuiting a guy like Jim McElwain at Colorado State. Personally he is the guy I want coaching Michigan, even over Harbaugh, but his buyout is 7.5 mil. Coupled with the AD's 3 mil buyout that approaches a figure that is getting a little high though I think McElwain is worth it.

Harbaugh is a great coach. He has turned every team around at each stop in his career. As a Michigan fan I'd be disappointed if he didn't go back to Ann Arbor. As a Dolphins fan I'd be sick if the Jets got him. I'd much rather Rex Ryan remain as the coach. The regression under him has been astounding. You only need to look at point differentials from 2009-2014 to get a clear picture.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Who the hell cares if he's an asshole if he wins, and wins a lot? This whole thing about him being arrogant and abrasive is overrated. Parcells was arrogant and abrasive and several SB's later he's still held in high regard. The NY media will be Harbaugh's best friend if he wins, and wins soon. This guy is a few plays away from coaching in 3 Super Bowls in 3 seasons as a HC. That's beyond impressive and he is an elite level HC. There's no doubt that Harbaugh would turn this franchise around. Yet, there's a lot of doubt whether Woodrow Johnson has the balls to pursue a guy like this.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

thats becuase we arnt 9er fans...im sure they dont mind becuase the win... every other fan hates what rex does with anything

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

And the big difference? Rex acts like a jackass, but loses. Harbaugh acts ornery, but wins.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Whatever happens in terms of hiring a general manager and head coach there needs to be some sort of disconnect between them when the game starts and when practice starts.

Coaches need full in game control to start who they want and play the better player regardless of their contract or where they were drafted. It's obvious Idzik handcuffed Rex into playing Geno and forced Sanchez out via making Rex play him deep into a preseason game then cutting him.

If the head coach thought Vick was the better option Vick plays regardless of where the young quarterback was drafted and you don't make him leave the guy in until we're buried with 6 or 7 losses. It's just silly and will probably cost them both their jobs. I know everyone's sick of the Seattle comparison but the GM was hands off and that's how a guy like Russell Wilson was found rather then sticking with a crappy overpaid veteran in Flynn that most teams would've forced to start because of the contract.

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Why in the WORLD would you want to hire Harbaugh? That guy is a POS and everyone in the niners organization hates him. That would be the typical Jets move - a big name coach/player who has a toxic attitude and will ultimately fail. Do you guys ever get sick of that? Jesus Christ. I'm sick of it for you guys, and I'm not even a Jets fan.

14. kaboom

kaboom Member

It is a known fact for anyone with a body temperature or higher Football IQ, that Rex has a tremendous amount of input into the early round draft choices during much of his tenure. Under Tannenbaum they basically never brought in talent that Rex didn't want.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No matter what anyone's feelings on the Rex situation are (I think his time is up) This post is so retarded, that the only explanation is you're looking for attention / reactions...... it doesnt even need explanations.

and I quit reading through this thread from this point on...... but in regards to the original topic: I think this young "rebuilding" team needs a disciplinarian type coach, but I can see Harbaugh having a meltdown of epic proportions in NYC.

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's only his second year.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

The no name head coaches have really worked out for the Bills over the last 15 years huh?

Harbaugh's toxicity has lead him to a .727 winning percentage.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

You are correct, why would we want a guy who has now developed 2 of the best young qb's in the NFL when we haven't had a great qb since Joe Namath? Why wouldn't we want a guy who disciplines his players after we have committed stupid penalty after stupid penalty for years? Why would we want a guy who takes his team deep into the playoffs every year after 4 years of no playoffs?

Much better to hire a scrub like Doug Marrone and guarantee yourself no more than 8 wins ever.

As for being a POS who everyone hates, it seems like his issues are with the gm because he wants to be both coach/gm. My guess is that he gets that chance here.

JetsNation06 and Axel3419 like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Hard to blame him for butting heads with the GM too as most of his past 3 drafts have been duds outside of Eric Reid, a first round pick.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He seems like a huge prick. But, so was Parcells. And so is BB. A lot of successful head coaches have been pricks. Rex seems like a great guy, but he's a mediocre head coach, at best. You might be right about Woody not hiring someone like that, but I sure would like to see it.