Jets sign Kerley to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 21, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Elite teams keep and develop good homegrown talent. He's not just average, he's very reliable especially on 3rd down.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

amen brother, amen.

74 likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand that. I just think we need him more to stretch the field than we do having him run out of the backfield.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

We wouldn't give Braylon Edwards 1.5 mil when he was our best receiver, so he signed with the 49ers, but we gave our slot receiver 4mil?

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pete Prisco saying it doesn't make it true; it makes it his opinion and mine. I didn't read the article and blindly concluded Harvin was not a deep threat despite his speed and explosiveness. The article was posted to support my independent position not the other way around.

FTR it takes more than speed and explosiveness to be a deep threat. Brandon Lloyd throughout his 12 years career has consistently shown the ability to beat defenses over the top despite being relatively slow for a WR. That's because he is an excellent route runner and has elite ball skills. If you are fast enough with decent ball skills you can probably get away with not being a good route runner, though I can't think of too many players that have. However, without good ball skills, specifically the ability to track balls in flight and catch them over either shoulder (one of the most difficult skills to master at the position), you're not going to catch a lot of deep passes no matter how fast you are.

7. legler82

"They", SEA, MIN and the University of Florida.

8. legler82

MM spawns from the same coaching tree as Harvin's OCs in MIN so it's safe to assume he will be used similarly to how he was used in MIN. One MAJOR caveat is that his most productive seasons were with a 1st ballot HOFer throwing him the ball.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

That is my actual opinion since WRs like him are a dime a dozen in the off season most have far more talent then JK has. You sound like a real youngie homer & have not experienced the last years like I have :mad:

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Honestly he had one of his best seasons with Christian Ponder throwing to him, so we might be okay.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wanna run down the list of WRs available this offseason and tell me who we could have signed to be our third WR that would have come as cheap as Kerley? I'm gonna assume you won't, which tells me all I need to know.

12. championjets69

Cheap normally = non productive which is so far what JK has been this season. No need to go back to see who we missed out on this off season since at this stage of the season it has no value. U appear to have the HO that JK is a world beater who will be a game breaker where as I see JK as just a average to below average NFL player who can be found each & every off season. :mad:

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Being part of the same coaching tree doesn't mean that at all. I'm making a different thread to delve into the coaching tree, but time and degrees of separation effect these things a lot. That is not a safe assumption as you say.

14. BroadwayAaron

Until you give me a legitimate alternative to Kerley as our third WR, myself and most everyone else can't take you seriously.

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Can't compare the two. Different regimes.

But to be fair Edwards left here and did nothing. Can't kill the Jets for that. Even Cotchery a guy who was nowhere near as talented as Braylon was still went on to be a fairly productive player after he left here. There's a good chance Braylon was just done. I know he had a knee issue.

16. matt robinson 17

Understood but at the time he was our best receiver and they ended up wasting all that money on Holmes, Kerley is alright, nothing special, I think 4mil is too much

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed. I thought 4 million was high as well. He's not Wes Welker. He's a decent slot man. Nothing more nothing less.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

Decent, a little above average...4mil is starting #2 wr pay

kevmvp likes this.
  19. championjets69

Coulda, woulda, shoulda this season subject is closed jog my memory in Jan 2015 to see what FAs would be a better choice then JK. Oh yes JK home is only about 20 miles from my house in Hutto TX so I am not saying what I saying because I do not like him but all I am saying Idzik just tied the team down IMHO a verage player for 4 years which I think is quite stupid on his part :mad:

20. BroadwayAaron

As expected, three posts later, you can't provide a single name of a FA we could sign this offseason to a reasonable deal to be our third WR that is better than Kerley.