Week 7 Jets @ Pats Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 12, 2014.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

In NE's defense, doesn't Revis usually just stick to one side? I know it affords more Safety help on the other side, but I'd put Nelson over there.

2. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

No, he moves around when needed to as well. He followed Dwayne Bowe, AJ Green and Sammy Watkins around the past 3 games, but against Minnesota and Miami he played on one side. I imagine he'll follow Decker around all game tomorrow. They'll put Arrington on Kerley in the slot. Collins, Harmon, and Tavon Wilson will all take turns covering Jace Amaro. Collins has graded out as the NFL's best cover LB, so figure him to get a lot of Amaro.

tiger8mush likes this.
  3. jcass10

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

If they do have Revis shadow Decker, than I'm expecting Amaro and Kerley to both have solid games (by Jets standards)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

If they line up Kerley solely in the slot, Arrington will do a good job on him. If not and Arrington has him, Kerley will beat him soundly from the outside. Alfonzo Dennard might cover him if Kerley is used on the outside. He played very well against Buffalo.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Kerley has been underutilized. And he's not having a good year esp when they need a good effort out of him. For the most part he has been a non factor this season. In one game they did actually give him eight targets but he only caught three passes.

6. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

He seems to kill the Patriots like Dustin Keller used to. The way Scott Chandler played last week, I'd expect Amaro to have a good game.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

He played LCB against Miami, shadowed Greg Jennings in Minnesota (including in the slot, he did not stick to one side), he mostly followed James Jones in Oakland, Mostly followed Bowe, but not always iirc, in KC, shadowed Green all game vs Cincy, followed Watkins all game in Buffalo.

In the previous 2 games he was in his Jets form where he'd stand over the offensive huddle waiting for his man, they weren't disguising anything.

The times he's played Zone have mostly been more about who the #2 corner is, when Logan Ryan is on the field they seem to play zone more, with Alfonzo Dennard on the field they match up receivers in tight press man. I imagine that if Browner returns and takes over the #2 or #3 spot (ahead of Ryan), game plans will continue to be near exclusively man coverage, outside of a few "breather" snaps in zone as BB described so they aren't running the Man defenders 40 yards down field every snap to tire them out and sneak outside runs.

I truthfully wouldn't be surprised if they play more zone against the Jets early in an attempt to help shut down the running game early, hope they build a lead, and then play press man and make Geno beat the defenders with his arm while they play with a lead allowing them to blitz.

If Decker isn't healthy then they might not consider anyone a matchup threat and just stick to playing sides, especially if Browner is back and playing, it might help to ease him into the game by letting him play his natural RCB position.

8. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

This has been discussed in Boston recently. The most predictive factor on Revis' deployment seems to be the QB, not the receivers. Belichick prefers to have Revis (and Talib last year) in man coverage only for a pocket QB, and then only part of the time so as to not burn the DB out by wasting energy running on dead plays. For a mobile QB who is a threat to run, Belichick prefers zone defenses where the outside DBs are looking at the line of scrimmage and can react to a QB scramble.

pclfan likes this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Kerley was a clutch player in the past but in Marty's disorganized offense he doesn't always go to his main playmakers. Not sure if Amaro is on the list yet but he's getting more and more playing time and I think he now has 3 five reception games. Amaro is not a fast learner and has had problems picking up the offense. Plus he's dropped a few key passes. And if he blows blocking assignments it could be disastrous for the Jets because the O-line hasn't played well so far.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

this is a big If but would you guys be hopefull if we beated NE and Buf and be 3-5 ?

NYJetsO12 and N0samples like this.
  11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

even if, somehow, we found a way to win in NE tomorrow night and then followed that up with a win @ home against Buffalo, I just don't see this team being consistently good enough to ultimately win 8 or 9 out of its last 10 games (which would absolutely be necessary to make the playoffs) , regardless of who is on the schedule.

tiger8mush likes this.
  12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Making the playoffs isn't the same thing is having hope. I'm just looking for any signs of progress (and not regression.)

2 wins in a row would be incredible.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. jcass10

Looks like Enunwa's case is being dismissed.

With Salas injured, its time to unleash the beast.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not to look on the bright side or anything but...............

A Win tomorrow puts the Jets only TWO games behind the Patriots with 9 games to play including another head to head match up. The season would be far from over.

NYJetsO12, Big Cat and tiger8mush like this.
  15. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

mayo out, I think this is a chance for Amaro to shine. 10 balls 98 yards 2 TD BOOK IT 24-21 jets, Decker gets one big gainer on revis.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Although it's still very early in the season, the Pats are the only team the Jets play the rest of the season that is over .500 right now.

Big Cat and tiger8mush like this.
  17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I'd expect Revis to play one side against the Jets. I doubt Decker merits full-time coverage. Browner most likely lines up opposite him now that he's back. Arrington has the slot guy with Dennard and Ryan in sub-packages.

The best matgh-up for the Jets IMO will be Amaro and whoever the Pats try to mtch him up with. Maybe Browner?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Decker plays considerable time you'd think they'll put Revis on him. He's by far the Jets best receiver. They're making a big deal about Amaro but BB knows the guy who can hurt you is Decker. Love to see Kerley break out of it but first they've got to throw him the ball. No fancy pansy stuff huh Marty just go to the few playmakers you do have.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't think you can really call Geno a mobile Qb. If he is he isn't a good mobile Qb. He can't throw well on the run and can't handle a blitz. To me he's a drop back Qb which btw he was in college at WVA.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. N0samples

N0samples Guest

It can definitely happen.

NYJetsO12 likes this.