Drafting A QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Geez, Kenny O'Brien would be a huge upgrade over what the Jets have now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Following up on your point with surrounding talent, I think spending multiple years without elite receivers forces the QB to develop the ability to go through his reads before hitting the NFL. If you're a college QB and your first option or your first two options are consistently open, defenses can't expose your inability to look off defenders, inability to hit checkdowns when appropriate, inability to step into the pocket, taking long sacks instead of throwing it away, etc...

Going into the draft, I'm beginning to give more weight to the receiver prospects from dominant college offenses. NOT saying all QBs with good numbers are frauds but it's not so easy to judge these QB prospects against each other by simply comparing their stats.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I hear the b/u QB in Philly looked great in pre-season... *sigh*

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not both because we're going to have to give up a high pick to get Cousins. The Skins aren't just giving him away for cheap. It will most likely take a 1st or a 2nd to get him. With the current state of the team, the Jets probably need every pick, let alone a valuable 1st or 2nd. I have no problem with that strategy though. I agree let all of them compete. I like Conor Cook. Petty scares me with those run n shoot offenses down in Texas. Cousins will be tough to get without giving up something considerable.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely.. I've watched a few Washington games the past couple years. RG3 is over-hyped. They wasted so much in acquiring the guy they need to let it play out through the end of his rookie deal but the reality is Cousins is their QB of the future. Yes he had a hiccup this year but he looks far better to me. Gruden isn't going to get this wrong, Cousins won't be available.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

I agree with you, he's much better then RG3, would not be surprised to see them attempt to trade him

7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

They wish they could get someone as good as him. I know there are people on polar opposite sides regarding O'Brien but if you put a good O' line in front of him he'd be a top 10-15 QB in the league today.

8. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

The question is, if the Jets are this committed to a 2nd rounder, how committed are the redskins committed to a guy they gave three 1st round picks to?

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the Jets and Geno for comparison because their commitment to him is an exception to the rule. Geno is "special" in that aspect.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Drafting a Qb is a crap shoot. And then you have to invest time with the guy and allow him to take his lumps which can translate into losses. I like what Chip Kelly said yesterday. The important thing is winning games now not developing players esp quarterbacks for the future. So I'd rather get a veteran Qb than go with another rookie in 2015. It could even be Mike Vick. I'd like to see what he has left in the tank. And btw Geno going into next season will have probably around 30 starts under his belt and is worth a strong look at in training camp. At worst he could be a viable backup next season.

mash84 likes this.
  11. mash84

mash84 Member

I like this idea. We have so many problems with this team right now, no QB we bring in could compete with this group. I would be happy if we drafted a #1 WR and 2-3 quality Oline prospects early in the draft. We have been very lucky with the years Brick & Mangold have given us, but they will need to be replaced in the upcoming years. We could address DB and LB in free agency and see what the team is capable of. If Geno or the vet QB can't get it done, we can draft a QB with a nice supporting cast already in place.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Whoever is throwing to these 2 monsters will have success no matter who they are. Geno has Decker (when healthy) Manuel was gone before he could use his only weapon in Sammy. To me it's hard to group Glennon with EJ and Geno.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No Jimmie Garappolo too even though he broke records ....Jets FO are idiots

14. NYJetsO12

Yes, thank you Mr Idzik and Mr Mediocrity Johnson. Starts at sh---ty brain trust owner.

15. NYJetsO12

Correct, but you and I are not doing the investing lol

16. NYJetsO12

Get Phil Simms to help evaluate talent. Guy didn't even pump up his son . He would be great IMO

17. NYJetsO12

Kelly is right only in saying the need to win games NOW. We need a Vet to steady the ship and after Vicks stupid comments not him and NOT Geno. Go after Cousins hard with some serious bargaining chips ....he looks good if this can possibly be done ....my long suffering Jet fans need a brain trust.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Cousins is better than Geno. But he hasn't looked so good this season. Didn't he have 4 picks in the 2nd half of their previous weeks game.The price is too high for him unless he continues throwing picks and in that case who wants him.

19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

A baseball statistic like WAR ( overall value ( would be in rating a player in football. Say for example you have a player like Andy Dalton, not a franchise QB, but worth a couple of wins a year. Since finding a franchise QB is so hard, finding a WAR of a QB good enough to win over the league average, like Dalton, might get you to the SB. Just a thought.

20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Duplicate post

#80 pdxdrew, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014