Give me your ideal mock draft Rds 1-4 and off-season signing

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rsc1589, Oct 6, 2014.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

DGB over Cooper??? Higher Ceiling than Cooper???...That's funny!! Now I've heard everything.

You don't draft a moronic head case and pass on Cooper. DGB is too much of a risk, he should be off any smart GM's draft board.

Draft another safety in Rd 1??

You post seems not very well thought out.

74 likes this.
  2. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

So many different variables at this point in the season, and my contract numbers are completely arbitrary, mostly just guesses based on similar player contracts. IMO Mike Iupati is the #1 target in free agency, and he might command a serious salary number for an OG. A Logan Mankins/Carl Nicks type contract (5/6 year, $50 million+). Hakeem Nicks is a free agent again and will come at a much cheaper price (2 years, $7 mil) than what the Colts signed him for. Clearly not a #1 receiver, but has shown solid production in his career and would bolster depth. Chris Harris is a player worth looking at as a potential starting CB (3 year, 15$ mil), or an upgrade for Kyle Wilson at nickel.

If Geno doesn't show marked improvement, my mock draft becomes moot. And I won't pretend to sit here and say "draft Mariota, Hundley, or Winston" because QB seems to be the hardest position to predict a successful transition from college to pro-ball. Looking back at previous drafts, high-paid professionals who do it for a living aren't very good at it either.

Draft
    Round 1: Amari Cooper, WR Alabama
    Round 2: Marcus Peters, CB Washington
    Round 3: Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB Louisville
    Round 4: Duke Johnson, RB Miami

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd be all for Gurley and Strong/White in the first two rounds as long as we address OL and CB in free agency.

4. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Did you read what i wrote... Said we could get DGB in the second round. Amari cooper isnt going in the second round is he? No, he most certainly is not. He will be top 15 guaranteed, and probly top 10.

DGB is a value pick in the second round for the skill and potential. He does have a higher ceiling, part of the reason he was like the #1 recruit in his recruiting class. Now does he fulfill that ceiling to its limit? Probably not. Its a gamble, and thats what you do in the second round of the draft(usually) you gamble on players that could become studs. I for one(probably stupidly so) always want to gamble on the guys with off the field issues or the high draft picks that were cut because they have talent and potential that has graded out very well, and thats most of what we end up seeing on the football field, except for the extreme cases. Judging by your reaction, im guessing you prefer the other train of thought. More power to you. However, for me at least, when I see the Tyrann Mathieus of the world having nearly probowl caliber seasons their rookie year, and then I look at our very own Brian Winters, something makes me want to take a risk on the next guy.

As far as Landon Collins is concerned was simply noting that he looked really good and refined, was getting a lot of hype. If you look throughout the rest of the threads there are some murmurings of people wanting to draft another safety so we can put Pryor in a SS role. Collins is listed as a SS, but like pryor, has been known to be able to play both, and unlike pryor has actually gotten some praise for his ball skills being about even to run support. As far as where he is projected, he might fall out of the first round. If you look back at prospect rankings from the beginning of last year Craig Loston was considered a first rounder at safety... needless to say, things don't always pan out the way they are projected to. Was not trying to insinuate that safety is our biggest need. Sorry if mentioning a top rated safety in a thread titled "Give me your ideal mock draft Rds 1-4 and off-season signing" isn't regarded as "well thought out" these days. I'll make sure to give it my best shot next time.

5. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Contract Extensions
    Muhammad Wilkerson - $80M/6yr in new money, $32M fully guaranteed ($10M roster bonus 3rd day of 2015 league year, $6M signing bonus, guaranteed salary through 2017.)
    Chris Ivory - $3.25M/1yr in new money, $1M signing bonus
    Quinton Coples - 5th year option accepted

I made Wilkerson's contract structure take advantage of the rollover cap space in 2015. Extending Ivory a year makes sure the bottom doesn't drop out at RB in 2016, when both Johnson and Ivory are currently scheduled to hit the open market.

Re-signed Jets
    Bilal Powell - $5M/3yr
    David Harris - $9M/2yr
    Leger Douzable - $5M/2yr
    Tanner Purdum - Minimum/2yr

Notable future former Jets in this scenario are Kerley, Ellis, Wilson, Landry, and Vick. There is a little compensatory pick potential here, but only for one or two late picks at best.

Edit: I originally forgot to include Greg Salas and Jaiquawn Jarrett, who will be extremely cheap depth signings as exclusive right free agents, and Damon Harrison, who will come at a discount thanks to being a restricted free agent.

Major Free Agent Additions
    Chris Harris - $25M/4yr
    Torrey Smith - $7.8M/2yr

Idzik takes advantage of a tight cap situation in Denver and pays for a quality CB. Meanwhile, Torrey Smith's off year drives his value down. Of course, there's always more guys that get signed that play smaller, yet significant roles. I could see a guard, a running back, and maybe a safety thrown into the mix here. I'd like to see QB Matt Moore or Jake Locker here as well, but I think other teams will be willing to pay more for both of them.

Draft Rds 1-5
    1st - Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
    2nd - Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
    3rd - AJ Johnson, ILB, Tennessee (In the event a new coaching staff comes in and changes to a primarily 4-3 defense, this pick changes to Jake Ryan, OLB, Michigan)
    4th - Josh Shaw, CB, USC
    5th - Taylor Kelly, QB, Arizona State

#25 Sloup, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    almbleamal and KerleyFries like this.
  6. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Nothing to see here, folks.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think he'll be a Jet again, when his knee really catches up to him, he accepts a position change to safety, and he is 35-36 years old.

8. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Theres actually a great shot of this if Rex stays around , But I feel as if he feels the Jets disrespected him by not contacting him, when he became a FA.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rex will be the color analyst on Thursday Night Football by that time.

10. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

73 million to spend

Resignings / Extensions / Cuts - 25 million
    - Extend Wilkerson for 60 million over 5 years.
    - Resign Harris for 8 million over 2 seasons.
    - Resign Powell for 4 million over 2 seasons.
    - Resign Harrison for 24 million over 4 seasons.
    - Resign Landry for 1.5 million over 1 season

Let everyone else walk. I have been on the fence about it but I would let Kerley walk too, unless he is only 2 million per season. He's a 37 yard per game career receiver. I would let Harris walk too. It's time for us to get younger at LB before we are too old and suffer for it. On most teams that would make him a #4 or maybe a #3. That's all he is.

New Signings - 31 million

- Chris Harris - CB - 24 million over 4 years.
    - Justin Houston - OLB - 50 million over 4 years.
    - Mike Iupati - OG - 28 million over 4 years - Guards really don't make a ton of money. Mankins and Evans are the highest payed at 8 million each, Iupati, will be the same and the 49er's are out of cash.
    - Torrey Smith - WR - 24 million over 4 years. Perfect time to steal him from the Ravens. They will undervalue him and we should scoop in to get him as our #2 or #3 receiver.

Draft - 6 million

- Round 1 - Amari Cooper - WR - This is the next Calvin / Julio / AJ Green no doubt in my mind. His "bad" game this year was on the road at a Top 5 team in Ole Miss and still got 9 receptions for 91 yards. Cooper is the kind of player that could change a franchise and change it quickly.

- Round 2 - Whoever is the best available Guard. We are lucky that our main issue is at Guard because good ones ussually fall to round 2.

- Round 3 - Cody Fajardo - QB - Yup, that's who I want the Jets to draft at QB this year. The guy replaced Colin Kapernick at Nevada and has been even better. Completion percentage is 67%. Similar TD to INT ratio. Has a 1000 yard rushing season at QB. We can't afford to pass on Cooper this year so Marcus is a no go. Take Fajardo in round 3, let him and Geno have a true camp competition, and start whomever is better. If that guy sucks then use your 1st next year on a QB.

Round 4- Corner

Round 5 - Wide Receiver

Round 6 - Corner

Round 7 - Corner

Not joking either. We will have Milliner and Harris as our #1 and #2. Walls as our #3. Allen back at Safety. Mcdougal will be back as well. Draft 3 corners from rounds 4 to 7 and hopefully something sticks.

My scenario also leaves us 11 million dollars that we can still roll over into the next season as well, which will come in handy.

11. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

Every year I fall for the dam trick... Why oh why can I fall for the same old Jets.

DMarsh6 likes this.
  12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I know everyone's opinion on Winston. But what if he drops? I mean, what if he's still there by our second pick? Its slightly possible he could make it out of the first round with the hole he's dug himself in, but he seems to have franchise QB kind of skills. Hypothetically, if he's there in round 2 do we take him? If he's there late in round 2 after we've picked, do we try to trade back in?

13. Ozymandias

No way. New York isn't good for him if he can't behave in Tallahassee.

14. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Dishing out a shit ton of cash.

15. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

If we get Winston I will find a new team to root for.

16. Ozymandias

Winston doesn't strike me as an Idzik guy, so I think will be fine.

17. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

It's so hard to tell what to draft when we have no clue how free agency is going to go. Amari Cooper is my #1 choice right now, but if someone like Dez/DT hits FA, we need to jump on that. With Dez/DT, Decker, and Kerley, I probably don't draft Amari in the top 5.

My options in the 1st:

Amari Cooper
    Randy Gregory
    Marcus Mariota
    Jameis Winston (?)

Hopefully, if we do draft Winston, that means our scouting team did their research and determined his "character concerns" are/were overblown.

18. Ozymandias

Update, we get a top 3 pick then trade back with Cleveland for whatever their pick they have and their other first.

Round 1
    - Brandon Scherff
    - Jaelen Strong/Devin Funchess
    Round 2
    - Lorenzo Mauldin
    Round 3
    - AJ Johnson
    Round 4
    - Duke Johnson

19. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

It would be really tough for me to handle getting a top 3 pick and not coming out with a franchise QB prospect. If we're in the top 3, that means Geno continued to tank for the rest of this year. At that point, I'd rather trade up to snag Mariota (if we deem Winston isn't our guy) than trade down.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

talent like that doesnt fall, if you take a guy with 4 surgerys with 3 on his knees with the 9th overall its stupid not to take a prospect like winston.