Geno Smith Has To Be Perfect

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Sep 23, 2014.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sanchez got a longer leash because he was a top 5 pick and won in the playoffs. The Jets lose to the Lions they are most likely going 1-6.

legler82 likes this.
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Andrew luck had 23 touchdowns and 9 interceptions last year
    Andrew luck has 9 touchdowns and 3 interceptions this year

he may "screw up every weekend" but he is making far more positive plays then he is big mistakes. 12 interceptions in 19 games is really good. over that same period, geno smith has 25 interceptions(in fewer games).

Geno doesnt need to be andrew luck, but he is turnining it over more then twice a game. you cant do that and be successful

3. jerseyjay14

I'm assuming he meant in their second years as starters.

all 3 were good as starters right out of the gate

4. jerseyjay14

Right, and the chargers moved on from him because he wasnt consistent early on and went with rivers.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd be all for the Jets taking a QB in the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th this year. I dont think this team needs a ridiculous playmaker to compete. I need 3 things:

1. Good decision making.
    2. Good footwork.
    3. Able to work from under center.

I dont care about the read option and being able to run a 4.4 40. I dont care about being able to throw the ball 80 yards. Just dont turn the ball over and make the opposition respect the run.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Please tell me how he lacks intelligence?

7. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Same record as Geno 1-3. And we don't get to play in their crappy division.

8. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

I'm not saying he doesn't screw up but Geno can play this game. Give the guy a chance. Nelson might be the most frail WR in the league. He put every other ball on the ground even after catching. That was a jump ball Geno threw to the much taller Nelson. Nelson made 20 moves just trying to get open only to find himself hiding behind the DB. Yes, Geno should not have thrown that ball. But everyone of his INTs are magnified while other QBs around the league are doing the same thing.

9. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Unless someone can make an argument that Geno cannot throw the football then there is no reason we should bash him. The bonehead decisions can be worked on. We can teach him to be more conservative and throw the ball away. He had a good, he just took some chances. That's all.

10. jerseyjay14

Wins are a team accomplishment. Juding a player by wins is kind of foolish. that would be like someone judging my performance at work based on our companies stock price, i contribute to it, but it is a horrible indicator of my performance. where as my specific sales figures would be a much better indicator.

Arizona is 3-0, they switched QBs and have gotten medicorue play at the position. there are 53 players on a roster, wins arent about 1 guy.

Luck has been twice as good as Geno. Luck has done things to help his team, but it wasnt enough. Geno has been poor, Geno has done things that have a big negative impact.

It is clear as day that Luck has made nearly the amount of mistakes and negative plays that Geno has.

as far as opponents, our opponents are a combined 3-6. the colts combined opponents are 4-5. so the opposition really hasnt been much different thus far

11. jerseyjay14

I need 1 thing. protect the football. we are good enough to stay in games if we dont turn it over.

12. jerseyjay14

there is a MAJOR different between taking chances and irresponsibly giving the ball away. Geno has been giving the ball away. sometimes the play isnt there and you need to get rid of it. a jump pass into tight coverage while rolling left for a right handed thrower on first down isnt "taking a chance" its being reckless.

i agree, let geno play out the year... but we dont need to pretend he has played well

GoldenShowers and Acad23 like this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Agreed

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

He weighed in at 249 on his pro day. Now he's listed at 260. Simple math homie. The achilles is a definitely a valid point. If we're gonna factor that he's lost a step b/c of that then we need to factor that Celek had hip surgery 2012. I'm sure they've both lost some or a lot of burst. Cumberland post surgery likely never lives up to his pre-injury potential. He's still more athletic than Celek ever was.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Just like we taught Sanchez? Just like they taught Eli? And a lot of people are making valid arguments that he can't throw the football at an NFL level.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  16. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

He's rated 27th out of all QBs in QB rating. So not only has he not been good, he's thus far one of the worst QBs in the sport in 2014. He was bottom 5 last year as well.

When the morons drafted him, people who objectively followed his college career knew this was not a franchise QB. The rest of you saw Kipers draft board from early in 2012 and busted a nut at the idea of getting "a top QB in the second round" and "incredible draft value!". Smfh.

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

QB Rating is a flawed statistic and guys who game manage and don't take chances often put up good numbers in that. We can't have a game manager on this offense, the talent on offense is not good enough to pull that off. Big deal.

I watched the guy and was one of the very few Pro-Geno guys over on the draft board but don't let that cloud your thesis. Another one who vanishes anytime Geno has a strong game but as soon as Geno has a mediocre game, among the 1st to come on the board and go post after post on just Geno.

#117 BakerMaker, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Axel3419 likes this.
  18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Link?