Is It Time to Bench Geno for Vick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 22, 2014.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Interesting VERY interesting.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I think we have a slightly better overall defense (better overall front 7, better scheme) and a better overall running game. I think their passing game is way better than ours. Special teams I don't really know enough about. Stafford is really talented but has always been inconsistent, particularly on the road. I think Detroit is slightly better overall . . . hence "closely matched."

edit: I think we will be stuck sweating out another close game on Sunday.

edit#2: The line opened at Jets (-1) and has moved to Detroit (-1.5) . . . So, Vegas would say Detroit is anywhere from 2 to 4.5 points better on a neutral field.

#222 slimjasi, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. slimjasi

So, all of the credit for Geno looking good in between the 20s goes to MM (and none goes to Geno), but all of the blame for Geno looking bad in the red zone is all on Geno (none goes to MM)? So, I guess you CAN have it both ways? :)

4. The 1985er

Like I said interesting VERY interesting.

5. Animosity

Animosity Member

to be fair, vick was having a pretty good season last year before injuries started to slow him down. He had the 3rd best QB rating in the league at the time and was averaging an abnormal YPC (which I believe was the greatest ever), and 9.0 YPA. . This definitely shows me that Vick has something left in the tank

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

you can't scheme guys open in the red zone you can scheme guys open between the 20s.

Marty is a very good OC. He has called some good plays in the red zone Geno could not convert. imagine how bad Geno would be with schotty even worse with soprano.

just like in preseason Geno has struggled in the red zone Vick did not. Hey if you think there is such a thing as a throw away season in the NFL play Geno to see.

IMHO we have a pro bowl caliber Qb sitting on the bench let's see what he can do. He sucks we can blame MM.

7. slimjasi

He had one amazing opening game against Washington and then was decent. The biggest issue with him is his lack of durability.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I don't want to see Vick unless Geno gets hurt or it's a blow out. Sticking Vick in there sets us back another 5 years ... again.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. Animosity

Animosity Member

He was on fire against San Diego as well. But I agree. I am not saying start Vick... just yet. People are panicking too soon. It's ridiculous. If Geno keeps this up the next few weeks, then the Jets should consider starting VIck.

10. The 1985er

So why can't MM scheme guys open in the end zone? Even if MM is scheming guys open the players still have to execute.

RochesterJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Absolutely not. Look around the NFL, most QBs are struggling right now. That include Rodgers, Brady, etc. Geno is a very good QB. The added dimension he adds with his leg make up for the time he makes a bad decision. Mike Vick was never a good thrower of the football so bringing him is not gonna help. Kerley, like last year is the best option we have at WR since Decker can't stay healthy. You guys act like there is a QB god out there who can solve all our problem.

Even Peyton is not doing that well with all the weapon he has.

12. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

For a 2nd year player with not much around him, he's not doing bad. We move the ball very well. It's the red zone this team is having difficulty with. Normally that means you don't have receivers that can get open quick enough.

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Not really.. a good OC would keep grounding and pounding when its obviously working wonders..why pass in the endzone and force in to tight windows when you have 2 6'5 weapons in amaro and nelson. Last play for instance, about 10 yards (probably not even that many) away from the redzone...and we throw a fade route to kerley.. WTF!!!!!! im taking nelson or Jace in that situation all day.. not a 5'10 Kerley that has never even been that type of WR to be catching fade routes in the first place. Yall can make excuses for marty all yall want... theres a reason people here in philly were so happy about getting rid of him. His plays are cool yeah...but play calling sucks ass. Every game of this season so far he's tried to use Geno to QB Sneak it in the endzone when Ivory was clearly able to pound it in each and every time. When shady led the league in rushing for his first time Marty didnt wanna run with him when he was supposed to, now he has the #1 rushing team in the league and still doesn't wanna use them correctly. A piss off.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. The 1985er

I agree Marty's red zone play calling is suspect at times. You have 4 capable backs plus a few big receiving targets. Utilize them. Geno should be running only when the play breaks down. However on some instances the execution by the QB has been suspect too.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I really like Marty. Best offensive coordinator we've had in a long ass time. But we need to get back to running the football. We only rushed it 26 times. Geno threw 43 passes. This number need to get closer to 50/50. Ivory needs to get 15+ touches a games IMO

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

we were down 14 zero before rex ryan could fart on the sideline. Of course we spent all night passing to catch up.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct. What does he do in the Red Zone?

Actually, don't care if his average is 75% if he goes 2 steps forward doing something good then 5 steps back doing it all bad and loses the game...

18. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Yes but there was plenty of time left. We could have ran the ball and been fine. Especially in the red zone. Two yards out, give the rock to ivory. Shit give it to Richardson. The designed geno runs worked last year but I can't really recall one that has been succeful this year. Might be wrong though.

Also I want to see more runs that aren't in the shotgun. More I formation, power football. Run behind the maulers on the right side.

Winters is killing us though on the left side.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

none of this has anything to do with your claim that he is a 30-50% passer. now that you have been called out on that being incorrect you want to change the context?

20. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Neither Vick nor Geno will be here next season so what does it matter who plays the rest of this one?

74 likes this.