JAX game a must-win for playoffs in 06

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Oct 1, 2006.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The Jets continued improvement and there weak schedule is fueling playoff hopes, but if that's to happen, Jets must win their tie-breaker games against other AFC opponents.

It looks like the Colts will win that division anyway, so a win next week vs. the JAGS can give us the edge come wild card time.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

True, true, a win would be nice to have next week in Jacksonville.

Every game can be considered a must win.

3. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

the jets only ticket to the playoffs this season will come through the division They have to beat up on weaker teams and steal one from newengland

4. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

i agree... the division is going to be the way to go.. there are way too many good teams in the other divisons

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Yeah, well that means beating New England at home. Could happen, but Belichick seems to be hell bent on beating Mangini at all costs.

If Jets can beat Jacksonville and other playoff contenders, why can't they win the wild card?

6. Hazardous Waters

That's the thing, though. We may just be able to squeak into the playoffs, but how many other AFC wildcard contenders do you see us playing against down the line? We're not going to be tested much.

Miami :rofl2:
    Cleveland :lol:
    Houston :breakdance:
    Buffalo :lol:
    Oakland :rofl:

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

High hopes are a great thing. Just be sure and keep things in perspective - if we don't make the playoffs that is in no way a dealbreaker to this being a "successful" season.

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

We beat JAX, we're 6-2 going into the bye

We lose, we'll be 5-3

Either way, things are looking up for the J-E-T-S

9. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Hard fought, well played games like today are great. I loved watching the game today... most exciting football game ive watched in a long time. And the Patriots game was a fun one to watch too. But at some point, youve got to beat a good team if you want to call yourself a good team.

To say its a must win is a little bit of an overstatement... and Id usually say its just false, no single game is a must win in pro ball. But I think theres a limit to how many close games we can drop before you risk having the team start to get cranky and regress. You can only take so many positives from so many losses before youve gotta start winning a game.

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

We are fourtanate to be facing such weak teams in the upcoming weeks. We have to take advantage of that. If we do, we can get the wildcard.

11. talbain

talbain New Member

12. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Looking at the Jets Schedule it looks pretty weak...

Difficult Games -
    @ Jacksonville
    @ New England
    Chicago

The rest....
    Miami
    Detroit
    @ Cleveland
    Houston
    @ Green Bay
    Buffalo
    @ Minnesota - this can be a tough game too but Bill just beat them
    @ Miami
    Oakland

There is only 3 teams that will be very hard to beat. And the rest I think we have a very good chance.

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

14. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Exactly, this is not a must win game. Not yet.

15. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

Not a must-win game...The AFC East teams have light schedules this year

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

The fact that anyone's even mentioning playoffs shows just how much of a change in the forum/fanbase there has been in the past 5 weeks.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In the last 8 years the Jet's have made the playoffs after starting 2-3 (1998), 3-3 (2001) and 1-4! (2002).

Winning next week's game would certainly help them along the path but losing it does not write them off at that point.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Jeez we play a good game against the Colts and we are talking playoffs. While I certainly feel a win against the Jags is a possibility lets not get ahead of ourselves here. This is not a playoff team, playoffs teams don't garbage A RB run for 80 yds and a TD and then allow garbage b RB to run for 75 yds and a TD. When this team figures out how to stop the run the we'll talk playoffs, until then we are just another team with 2 wins against nobody. Oh and BTW lets not get ahead of ourselves in saying the Miami game is a sure thing, it is a rivalry and even though the Phins suck they always get up for the Jets.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We played with the Colts because they have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL (could be because of injury?). Our O matched up with their D perfectly. Jax is going to be a much tougher game. While Leftwich is not nearly the QB that Manning is, they are going to beat the crap out of both of our lines. This could be the toughest game on our schedule. The key to this game is getting out of Jax somewhat healthy.

Jax is not a great football team, they are a physically impossing team and we are a finese team playing on their turf. We could get the crap kicked out of us next week. We need to get out healthy enough to be ready for Miami.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I said before the season that there were 11 games I considered 'winnable' on our schedule and 5 I couldn't see us taking. We've played two in each category and won the winnable ones whilst losing the others.

Now, the way we lost leads to optimism that one of the other three 'unwinnable' games could be turned around, but I can't see us taking more than one.

That gives us the breathing room to drop two of the 'winnable' games and still post a 10-win season.

Stop me now please, it's ridiculous to be talking about this...