Damon "Snacks" Harrison or Kendrick Ellis does 15 pull-ups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets Esq., Jun 19, 2014.

?

Which 350 lbs Jet can do 15 pull-ups?

1. Damon "Snacks" Harrison

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Kenrick Ellis

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  1. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

In Rex's press conference today, he talked about how physical conditioning was going really well. He mentioned that "one player", "when he started" was able to do 0 pull-ups, and can now do 15. Then he added that that player weighs 350 lbs. A reporter asked if the player was TJ Barnes (the undrafted free agent rookie NT, listed at 364 lbs) and Rex said no, but that that was a close guess.

Harrison is the only player listed at 350 lbs on the website, although Kenrick Ellis is listed at 346 lbs, so it could be either of those guys. Rex said "350 lbs" and not "about 350 lbs"; and Ellis has a bad back after hurting himself lifting weights last year, so I believe it's Harrison (but that's pure speculation).

15 pull-ups is a very impressive feat for such a huge man. If it is Snacks, then I'd say that this bodes very well for him in the 2014 season. He was great last year, but if he's gotten considerably stronger (and he was strong already), he should be Pro Bowl quality.

In other news, 6th round pick CB Brandon Dixon weighs 0 lbs, according to the Jets' website.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

3. Yeah It's Ellis. Rex has mentioned it in a couple prior press conferences.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

That is pretty nuts.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yes. I love S&C. Wish I could be in that weight room for a couple workouts. I think I'd rather do that than get sideline during a game.

6. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I don't know but "Snacks" is one of the best nicknames ever.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

For one, "Pro Bowl quality" is a misnomer because fans vote on who makes the pro bowl.

Secondly, I wouldn't put too much stock in Rex saying "350 lbs" instead of "about 350lbs". It's doubtful that he even knows (or cares) what weight the website gives for the players, or that he turned his mind to the particular words he was using.

8. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

I want to be able to do 15 straight. Jeez

9. abyzmul

Both of these observations are pretty common knowledge. Did you think you were laying something down on anyone?

To say someone of pro bowl level is just basically saying that they are good enough to compete at a high level and gain notoriety among the spectrum of NFL fans.

As far as the weight thing is concerned, who gives a fuck? If a guy is within 10-20 pounds of the 350 mark, yeah, the head coach will round it toward the 350 mark. Who gives a shit?

Except you, a middling horse in a pack of horses running a race of boring and insubstantial arguments.

Got any sausage recommendations?

Sundayjack likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

350 x 15 = 5350 pounds. That's almost a Suburban.

11. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I wonder if they were overhand or underhand. From a full hang or partial. LOL guess I'm just a fitness nerd but damn that is impressive either way

12. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I can do 16 pull ups, I win.

13. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

A pull-up is always overhand, and if it's underhanded that's a chin-up. Proper form requires starting from a dead hang, pulling your chin over the bar's height (not necessarily on top of the bar, just higher than it), and returning to the starting position (elbows straight.) Also, no swinging and no kicking your legs, but it is okay to do the pull-ups rapidly (which seems to help a lot.) That's proper form, and I'd hope/assume that that's what they require when they count the reps.

FunFact: It's harder for long armed guys (who are almost always also tall guys) to do pull-ups since the longer your arms are, the further you are from the top of the bar. And I think longer arms also generate less leverage.

Definitely impressive for anyone in the 350 lbs club to be able to do that many.

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I would think at that size he would just pull the bar down to him.

Footballgod214 and Greengal19 like this.
  15. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Need more information to assess awesomeness…strict, kipping or butterflies? Full lock out? I’d like to see that son of a bitch do a ring muscle up.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Shut the hell up you crossfit nerd. Kipping pullups and muscle ups are for fucking gymnasts.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's great! he can do 15 pull ups but can't bend over far enough to tie his own shoes

18. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Exactly, that’s why I said i need more information to assess awesomeness. Any motherfucker can kip and anyone with rhythm can butterfly even easier.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Dude, a 350 guy is not kipping and they definitely aren't pulling that bullshit in an NFL weight room. NFL strength coaches are top of the profession.

20. abyzmul

"Kipping". To me, that means acting like that fag sidekick on Charles in Charge.

74 likes this.