Rex : Vick Starting a Possibility

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, May 15, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't know why this is news. If the competition ends with a tie, of course the winner goes to the young guy who is looking to be the franchise QB. The goal of this move is to either have a better option at QB if Vick wins, or for him to mentor Geno if Geno wins. Why would anyone give the starting job to an aged veteran over a growing young guy if there is a tie in competition?

Royce Parker and JetsVilma28 like this.
  2. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

They can say its not an open competition from now until doomsday...fact is Vick, old and injury prone that he is, is a hell of a lot better than Geno

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm really getting annoyed again. These beat writers are fuckin morons. They have no other goal in life except to write bullshit articles and try their very hardest to bring about controversy.

Within the last week, all I keep seeing are article after article about Vick and Geno. Vick says I'm open to competition. Geno says I love having Vick around. Vick says he thinks if it's a tie it's going to Geno. Geno says he is in no way ahead of Vick in this battle right now. Is there a controversy brewing?!

Get a fuckin life! It's pathetic at this point. Reaching and reaching for something that just isn't there. Fuck!

/rant

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vick is the right backup QB for Geno. He can come in and play the same offense without missing a beat. He's not a stretch as the starter next year if Geno gets hurt or can't get it done. The Jets have other guys at the moment who could come in and run the offense if need be in Simms and Boyd assuming that both Geno and Vick got hurt.

It's about as good a situation as the Jets were likely to have this year in the second year of the rebuild. With Geno's rocky start last year the Jets needed a real Plan B for this year and he's in the building.

5. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

A good friend once told me that as a New York sports consumer, the first rule is that the point of all media coverage is to portray the Jets as fools, whether deserved or not.

Basically, ignore it. If Vick ends up the starter, I'll be disappointed we didn't draft a quarterback. I think people are wildly overstating what Vick has left in the tank. They have this notion of a Madden version of Vick that never really existed. He was dreadful in a high octane system last year. He has one above average NFL season to his credit. I'm dating myself, but I can go back to a time when people thought Roddy White might be a bust because Vick was so bad at getting him the ball.

Moreover, I don't think we can really tell what we have in Geno. There's no question he looked awful at times last year, but with legitimate protection and weapons, I think he has a chance to be solid. I think that even if Geno doesn't hit the ground running, the difference between the two is going to be so negligible that it will pay to stick with Geno.

-X-

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When you think about it, the Jet's offense is so amped right now that a PSAL QB would be able to run it. You run the ball with Ivory/Powell/Goodsen/Richardson and......Chris Johnson! Third and 4? You dump it off to Amaro, Becker, Kerley etc. Get back to your run game, move the chains. Once in a while try a long one to Jacobs, Saunders, Evans. Sounds plausible? Oh no! Geno throws interception ( hhe how could that happen?). On defensive series Pryor unleashes devastating hit, Jets get fumble! Oh well, back to steps 1-3 but this time Geno hits the draw play to CJ and ....he scores!!! The latter scenario is what Idzik and MM are praying for lol.
    Vick realizes the offense the Jets have WILL be good notwithstanding no FA WR. Jets probably have enough firepower. He is rightfully upset as he has to concede the starting role even though he knows he is the better QB.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It's news because Vick is admitting it.

Honestly, we all knew that a tie went to Geno. That's how it should be, and that's how it will be.

The fact Vick is admitting it is why it's important. I believe Vick can win the starting job. But he has to WIN it, meaning either Vick turns back the clock and plays like he did years back, or Geno completely flops.

And it's great news because it shows the relationship the two have. Vick wants to start - he even admits that - but he signed here, accepting that he likely wasn't going to. That means he's willing to mentor Geno no matter what role he's in. Geno admits he looked up to Vick growing up, and no player can convince a young player what NOT to do better than someone like Vick. If Vick says something, Geno will listen, because everyone knows what Vick went through, and he's still around.

Not to mention, Vick is still good enough to have the Jets compete if Geno isn't that good. He'll turn the ball over, but he'll also make more plays than any QB we've had since Favre. If the defense is as good as it can be, that could be enough to lead us into the playoffs.

abyzmul likes this.
  8. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Sounds like Vick is playing the part of the consummate professional. He obviously wants to start but he's not in denial of the fact that he's in the position of having to clearly beat out the incumbent in order to get his shot. I think he has exactly the right attitude.