Redskins send LaVar Arrington cease and desist letter for calling himself ‘Redskins great’

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, May 11, 2014.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This shit is too funny, had to post it:

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/09/redskins-send-lavar-arrington-cease-desist-letter/?sct=obnetwork

The Redskins threatened former linebacker LaVar Arrington with a lawsuit by sending him a cease-and-desist letter to coerce him to stop calling himself a “Redskins great” in a promotional flyer for his summer football camp, according to 106.7 The Fan in Washington.

The irony is that the Redskins named the 35-year-old Arrington one of the “80 Greatest Redskins” in a ceremony before a game in 2012.

Arrington played for Washington from 2000-05, amassing 321 tackles, 22.5 sacks, three interceptions and six forced fumbles.

“They won three games last year, man,” Arrington said. “It’s not like saying ‘Redskins great’ is going to sell out my camp. I mean, if I’m using ‘Redskins great,’ I mean, we didn’t win very many games when I was there, so I just thought I was doing them a favor. I thought we were in it together.

“I’m sitting here looking at the television. They’re doing all kinds of recaps and preparing for who’s going to go in the draft tonight. I guess since [the Redskins] aren’t picking anybody tonight, I guess they figured they’d concentrate on other things. They did find another way. I mean I guess they figured Let’s pick on Lavar and see if he goes for it. And dang it, I took the cheese.”

LaVar Leap Arrington @LaVarArrington
    Follow

Here's the flyer guys sign up today learn how to tackle from a @redskin great ;-)
    4:29 PM - 8 May 2014

How funny get a cease and desist call from @Redskins lawyer today don't use Redskins Great or a pic of me in a uniform lol ;-) HTTR
    4:15 PM - 8 May 2014

Hey @Redskins you won 3 games last year maybe you should send cease and desist letters around @Redskins Park lol smh
    4:17 PM - 8 May 2014

Hey @Redskins will I receive a call to cease and desist using @Redskins in my tweets? Lol
    4:19 PM - 8 May 2014

2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

People like to bitch about Woody Johnson, but Dan Snyder makes Woody look like Jerry Buss.

Actually, I don't know if this nonsense has anything to do with Snyder, but he's a really shitty owner.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe they think he's being racist?

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just think it's hilarious that they named him one of the 80 Greatest Redskins and then sent the cease and desist because he was calling himself a Redskins Great.

I'm guessing if they wind up in court his attorney gets the case thrown out and everybody but the Redskins walk out laughing.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That is some nonsense. They name him in the top 80 greatest Redskins players of all time but he's not allowed to refer to himself as a "Redskins great"? Too weird. The Redskins organization is probably the biggest joke in the NFL right now next to the Bills. Why would they even care about this? How about try building a team without sacrificing your future? How about worry about RG3 and getting him weapons with minimal draft picks. This is kind of like if the Jets sent Gastinueau or Klecko a letter. Just because the team wasn't great at the time, doesn't mean they weren't Jets greats.

6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It's a copyright thing.

Don likes this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What is "great" or "Redskins", he can certainly say he was a redskin.