Welcome to the Jets Calvin Pryor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 8, 2014.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless 2h
    GREAT pick for the Jets: Calvin Pryor always leaped off my TV screen when I watched Bridgewater. Big-time hitter.

Fuck Skip Bayless tho

All Gas No Shake and Cakes like this.
  2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Walterfootball gave it a solid B. And they hate the Jets massively.

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Can he score points? No. But he'll fuck up a receiver or two per game. Unfortunately, I'm lookin at you Watkins.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I'm the one that just belittles other posters.

Run stuffing, hard hitting, please tell me that this is not what you think the entirety of.Pryor's ability is. He I'd the consensus best safety of a very deep draft. Please show me this vast ledger of research that has forced you to come to the conclusion that Pryor is just a faster version of Eric Smith, because that was all that Smith was good for. Run stuffing, hard hitting.

Please tell me that I didn't apologize to you for making one dimensional lists to you when your posts are even worse. Do you even have a real point? Other that being angry about not drafting receiver? What the fuck?

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Meh dont care too much about grades right now
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2055663-2014-nfl-draft-grades-full-round-1-report-card/page/19

Bleacher Report gave us: A-

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

abyzmul likes this.
  7. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

The "jury" is still out.

I too preferred the JETS going O 1st round but I understand the need to finalize & rounding out the D with an upgrade in the 2ndary; our weakest link on D. Now total focus s/b on the rec'vr position(s) (WR/TE) along with
    the O-line in the upcoming rounds.
    What's done is done. Pryor is here & we all are hoping for the best. Accept it & move forward & realize that this is
    1 of the most deepest drafts for O-skill position players in years. Whether you're singing hi-praises or screaming for bloody murder on our 1st rd choice, it's over.
    Just remember, we got about a hundred-eleventy-eleven more picks to go......Just chillllllllll !

8. abyzmul

Again, the Saints are playing to their strengths. It would have been nice if the Jets had signed Byrd, but the Saints are in the position to contend, they have a premier QB. The Jets do not have the luxury of going spending for players in a bidding war when they have no idea what QB may be starting in September. What they do have is a slew of draft picks.

It may not make sense to you that they drafted the best safety available, but they have a strong defensive line and young unproven corners, a pair of hard hitting safeties that have coverage ability (Allen, Pryor) help the fuck out of that, because receivers and TEs and RBs don't know whether the pass will be defended our their head will be taken off. That takes pressure off of those corners a bit, and it adds versatility to the interior blitz packages.

You have a really simple way of looking at this and maybe it's why myself and others have taken shots at you.

Maybe you should take your own advice and post smarter.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post, fair enough. Maybe I am being unfair to Pryor the player, yes. I will admit I haven't researched him to the degree I should have before popping off like I did, I am just frustrated with taking defense year in and out with Rex Ryan and losing games year in and out because the offense is pathetic. Maybe he's better in coverage then I realized though, obviously as a jets fan I hope so.

I stand by what I said about Pittsburgh though, even if everyone disagrees with me. They are very reluctant to change and for a long time it hasn't mattered but it will. They will get left behind and I fear our jets will too.rex Ryan is very loyal to certain players/positions/mantras, I think a successful organization is one that can adapt to change, especially since we are in an era of real change in this league.

abyzmul likes this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Only if Watkins goes over the middle. He won't be close enough to Watkins on a 9 route to knock him out.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The defense should be good yes. Unfortunately it's always been good and it hasn't gotten the jets anywhere meaningful. Too many stop gaps and plugins on offense in the past 10 years I just feel like its time to try something different.

It makes way more sense in my opinion, with the blank slate the jets had on offense this past season to build that side for the long term withREAL pieces, drafted early and use free agency to fill in stop gaps on defense. Especially when you have a coach who can coach up defensive players, why not use that to your advantage??

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This seems like a wise pick. While we all wanted offense in the first, safety was a need position. Think about how many times Landry missed plays last year, and how there's been little consistency in the position. Picking Pryor will, hopefully, sure up the position for a number of years.

As to what he'll become, we won't know till the end of 2016. I'd have thought that Dix was more of Ryan's style, but who knows his scheme better than him. One thing is for certain: Pryor can lay a dude out. I've always wanted the Jets to have a Polamalu type of player, and hopefully this young man becomes that.

Sent using Tapatalk

13. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Our secondary really needs help, and while corner needs help, at least we have bodies there. Safety desperately needed star power AND depth. If he turns out to be the real deal, I'm perfectly OK with this pick. As far as the next two picks for offensive skill positions were Cooks (#20) and Benjamin (28). For Cooks as good as he is fills a similar role that we already have taken care of with Kerley, and Benjamin fell a further 10 spots (to the most WR needy team in the NFL) for a reason which I also tend to agree with.

The 1985er likes this.
  14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Solid pick ... Good value at a position that could use some serious competition

Pryor is Sean Taylor lite, IMO

I think Landry is going to have to take a paycut to make the roster

15. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Everyone that is arguing that Pryor is or isn't a need is missing the point. Idzik viewed Pryor as the BPA. The top franchises in the league got to where they are by acquiring talent. No one can argue that Pryor wasn't one of the most talented players on the board for our pick.

Let's see if we can't have two DPOY's in a row.

deerow84 likes this.
  16. abyzmul

I feel close to the same way you do here. I WANTED a game breaking WR with that first round pick so badly before today. What I did is clear my mind of expectations before the draft, and look at the best prospects for each of the team's weak areas. At most positions. I had Pryor on my wish list after that, but never thought he would fall.

I didn't do that last year and almost lost my shit when they took a corner and a DT in the first 15 picks, but I sat back and really looked at Sheldon Richardson and realized that the Jets might have gotten a beast. I wasn't as sure about Benjamin Buford Milliner, but I'm warming up to him.

It's not always about need. We have talked about this ad nauseam for months but it's still hard to accept during draft week.

I'm not saying that Pryor is going to be elite, hoping but not saying. But how foolish are you going to feel in 2 years if he is actually the best player available not only of the players that were there when the Jets picked, but also of possibly the 10 players before that?

It's hard to put your trust in a GM like that, especially one as new as Idzik, but I get annoyed when people blow their stack so quickly when one single round of the draft is done.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

The defense has been very good with glaring holes in it at all times under Rex. After adding a premiere safety prospect now the pieces are finally there to build a truly dominant defense which is a very different beast than an above average defense which is being coached up brilliantly. If Pryor turns into the pick that was payed for and Milliner continues his development this defense could be truly terrifying in a couple years. Don't undervalue that.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

But you can tell what Manziel will be??? Even NFL GMs admitted they don't know what he will be and he was the most debated player n the draft. Why don't the jets draft a QB with all 12 picks? Then one out of the 15 on the roster is bound to work out, even though they will get 3 reps each per practice. How about we 1) let the draft play out and 2) wait until Smith plays with an NFL caliber offense and players who he can actually practice with rather than the bums ( Gates, Salas, Hill ) and walking wounded the Jets put on the field last year ( Winslow, Holmes, Kerley) before he is written off).

19. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

In a vacuum I like the selection. Best safety in the draft for a Ryan defense, better at coverage than his reputation and an upgrade for the position.

However, why you look at the Jets specifically there are two problems. One, our safety play was not horrible last year, especially before we picked up Reed, and his addition will not make the defense dramatically better, but by going defense in 1st again the gap widened once again between offense and defense. Second, an elite receiving prospect was there in Cooks, and his addition would have improved the offense much more and the team much more than the addition of a safety.

The danger is that by the time 49 comes around none of the "depth" receivers are there, and once again we are not helping the most important position on the team improve.

He could be DROY but I think Cooks was a FAR better option. Clearly Rex has significant influence in stacking the board.

20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Says the idiot who thinks there is just high quality WRs just waiting in the wings in the later rounds...

The 1985er likes this.