Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I get frustrated with Idzik but I honestly think the man is handling things properly.
    We had Tanny who threw away draft pics like used tissues and $ like it meant nothing.
    Idzik is clearly looking to keep this team in a good financial position for the future and won't be the team that gets used to up the ante for any potential FA's.
    Sure we may lose out on guys I wish we'd made a move on but I'm interested to see the 5yr plan we've got going here.
    With all these draft picks I really see us being put in a great position for the future.
    We'll sign a few vets come cuts in training camp, and if they can contribute I really feel we can be a good team next season and a better team each year after that.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

again, you are posing what should be a spectrum of possible approaches as a binary choice between being very active and doing very little.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Thank you for a level-headed post in an otherwise cesspool of a thread this morning.

Overpaying is relative to the team that's writing the check. Revis is absolutely worth $12 mil to the Patriots, a team with an aging HOF quarterback that needs a player like Revis to have a shot at a title. $12 mil to the rebuilding Jets? Not worth it.

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Everybody wrong but you. Get over yourself dude.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The negative correlation between heavy free agent activity and winning is impossible to miss if you look at who wins the free agent wars and who wins the next year. The only way to miss it is if you are invested in using the issue to prove something else.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course the problem may also be that he cannot correctly judge the value of any free agent in which case what he is doing is a total failure. Almost all of these free agents that moved on from the Jets were signed by teams with established GMs who obviously didn't think they were overpaying to get them.

7. Big Blocker

When i said failure, I did not mean it in any emotional sense. I meant an effort was made and did not succeed.

8. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Lastest info says Idzik is offering 3-4 million per year on a multi year contract and Johnson wants 10 million on a 2 year contract. I think Idzik is in the right ballpark offering 6-8 for two years. 10 million/2 years for an aging/declining RB who will hit 30 is just too much.

9. Big Blocker

If you walk like an FO Homer, and talk like an FO Homer, and even say yourself you do not question the FO, then you are an FO Homer.

You really should log off.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Yes by his standards b/c that is all that matters at this point. He's the guy in charge, he's the one w/ the plan. he has a dollar value attached to each player they look at, if it is a guy he really wants he may stray from it, if not he moves on.

11. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Can we please change the title of this thread to "You're a Loser!: Guide for How to Act Like 5 Year Olds with Internet Access"?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

joe, All Gas No Shake and Falco21 like this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not about breaking the bank.

It's about whether or not the player is worth the asking price. If he's not, you let him walk.

I would not pay him 5m per year, he's not worth that, especially with today's NFL.

13. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Don't forget the big 2012 offseason winner buffalo bills with their Mario Williams signing among others. We were supposed to get destroyed opening week.

14. BroadwayAaron

True, I should probably scram. That's your opinion, and it's always correct.

15. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

With today NFL? If your talking about turning into a passing league? I agree it is but that not what the Jets want to do. They want to run first.

16. Big Blocker

Ftr I have never said Idzik's off season can already be described as a failure. I have not drawn any overall conclusions, especially regarding what he might still do before Opening Day.

But I see nothing wrong with commenting on and discussing the progress of the off season as it occurs. Funny how some here post on this board nothing but condemnations of those who wonder about what is going on. It is as if they are afraid to even consider the possiblity that the people running the Jets might not be doing as great a job as they could be.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You mean doing very little as in signing the leading WR to the best contract a WR received during the first phase of free agency and doing that within the first few days? You mean doing very little as in signing the only starting-caliber free agent QB in veteran free agency? You mean doing very little as in signing a RT to replace the guy who left in a timely fashion before the OT market dried up?

I just don't get it.

Idzik DID find that middle ground between being very active and doing very little but the critics still act like he sat on his hands the entire time.

When will you admit that the only thing that would have made you happy is if the Jets went all in and tried to win the free agency wars (again)?

That's the real issue here. The segment of the fan base that does not understand how football really works is pissed off because Idzik and the Jets didn't go full Lotto mode and spend like drunken sailors.

Again I ask you: show me the teams that make that approach work and I'll reconsider my position. Anything else that you care to respond with I'll ignore as more drivel from the group that really wanted the Jets to get back on the merry-go-round they've been on since 2001.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

There you go again. I made a suggestion. Is a suggestion a fact?

19. BroadwayAaron

All morning you have been making suggestions that you are claiming is fact, so, yes. I'm speaking to the be all end all of opinions, whatever he says... that's a fact jack.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I was hoping to wake up to good news

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.