Year in retrospect: How did the Revis trade work out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Revis really is greedy as hell. I understand that players care about money, but the way Revis goes about it is simply out of this world. If you look up the word mercenary, you'd see his face there.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give a rats ass how much money he commands, an or gets, but just the fact he is now a Patriot really burns my ass, so I guess Revis deals the knockout puncb

3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

4. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

:)

To be fair. The Patriots are just renting Revis for the year. I'm sure he'll be on the open market again next year.
    The Talib deal worked great for the Patriots in this way. Belichick took a "problem child" like Talib and helped him look like a top 5 corner. And now he's got a big fat contract. I'm not saying Talib isn't talented but he also had to used correctly.

I bet that's one reason why Revis went to the Patriots. This is a show off year for Revis after playing for the Buccaneers and he'll have a great chance to look good being on the Patriots. Plus they might even get to a Superbowl.

5. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

He could have went to the Jets to be used properly. This move was solely to stick it to the Jets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Hope every game the Pats lose this year are on last second TD passes where Revis gets totally embarrassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Me too, but that's not very likely. The one knock against Revis is that he doesn't really get a ton of interceptions compared to other top corners, but he's still better because overall almost nothing gets by him. They will probably end up with some weakness somewhere. Tom Brady is getting older too, and is missing on passes that were automatic lasers 3 - 4 years ago.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll see how Revis is this year health wise and if he's back to his Revis Island self or not. But it's clearly a 1 year deal for the Pats. They do have an option on him for 2015 but it's a 20 million dollar option and if they decline the option the Pat's can't franchise him per the agreement. In other words he'll be back on the streets as a hired gun in 2015. Personally I hope he has a god awful year, I don't wish him to blow out his knee or anything (I wouldn't wish severe injury on anyone), but I hope his knee isn't 100% and he get's burnt in man coverage's, that way the greedy bastard doesn't get a big contract in 2015.

chris5533 likes this.
  9. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Did we get the 3rd round pick for Revis or did it drop to 4th?

10. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

4th rounder

11. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I agree, but Idzik is the one who made the deal. Woody made it monumentally difficult by opening his big trap about our intentions, but Idzik still got us a decent deal.

As for analyzing the deal, I look at it as Millner, a third, and a huge cap savings. Like others I don't see why we'd have picked a CB if we just invested that much cap space in Revis, so we have to assume Richardson still get picked. That said, if Millner picks up from where he left off and continues to improve, if we can use the money savings to snag/keep a good player or two, and/or land someone with the remaining pick then I'd have to consider the trade a big success. OTOH, at this point in time Millner is a massive question mark, the money hasn't been used to do anything, and the last pick hasn't been used. So right now the trade looks fairly poor but it is just too early to decide this. At the least we need to wait until we snag a player with that last pick and see how Millner and the ? player develop during the year.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's doubtful that Idzik would have been able to fit Revis and Cro under the cap if Revis stayed. So a cheapo 1st round CB like Milliner is a very good possibility on the 9 pick if he's there. The Jets would have traded or cut Cromartie under that scenario.

It's more likely Milliner gets taken on the 9 than Richardson just because that's how the picks stacked up last year. The Jets didn't need Richardson. They took him as a BPA choice. They needed Milliner but there were several 1st round quality CB's in last year's draft. If they really liked Richardson more than Milliner they'd have taken him on the 9 and grabbed one of the other CB's on the 13.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Every NFL player is greedy,When's the last time a top player or mid level player took a home town discount

14. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Yes, every NFL player is greedy to some extent, but Revis is on a whole other level.

Look at the amount of times Revis has held out, given the front headaches over his contract, or demanded to be the top paid player at his position regardless if it hurts the team or not. I can guarantee if him and Sherman become free agents next year, he'll wait for Sherman to sign, so that he can demand to be paid even 1 penny more and become the highest paid corner. That's just how him and his ego is.

15. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

The trade worked like a charm until TB fired its coach and GM, the new bosses cut Revis, and he signed with NE.

If we had re-signed Revis, I'd give it an A+ for basically stealing Sheldon Richardson for nothing.

It also remains to be seen what is done with the 4th rounder we are getting.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I will not forget the goings on related to the Revis trade, and how Woody undercut the Jets' own position by telegraphing everyone that the Jets were going to move Revis no mattter what. But we debated that last year, and I don't want to relitigate the issue. There's no point, but it is part of why I hate Woody so much.

As for how the deal looks now, I concede it is necessarily theoretical to imagine what contract might have kept Revis with the Jets, and you have a fair point that Idzik had to deal Woody under adverse circumstances, thanks to Woody's meddling. And while Milliner is in fact a question mark, I am inclined to think he is more likely than not to grade out effectively, even as soon as this year. But yes, right now he is a question mark, and I also doubt he will ever even approach Revis's level of performance.

Add in that he's now with the Pats, and yes, right now the deal rates poorly. But I do blame that mostly on Woody.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You forget to mention Sheldon Richardson, if he can improve his pass-rush productivity, he will eventually be a better player then Revis, which in the end - the Jets win the trade.

Or, if that 4th rounder can net us D-Jax - then the Jets win the trade hands automatically. I am very glad to see us make this deal.

Wilfork is out the door and is sour because Revis came in and is now the highest paid defensive player.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know others disagree with me. But to say the Jets would have used the ninth pick on Milliner even if Revis was still on the roster is idiotic. You have to be stupid to think that. And the same goes for talk about where the Jets had Richardson v. Milliner on their draft board.

So I don't at all see Richardson being a result of the Revis trade. Go ahead and argue that it was all you want. It wasn't.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't want to get into hypothetical scenarios regarding draft position. Fact is at 13 we drafted Richardson, the pick we acquired from the Revis trade. Richardson, I believe will be our "Warren Sapp" disruptive force near the ball for the next 10 years. That to me is more "impactful" then a shutdown corner.

20. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I think the trade worked out very well for the Jets. That 4th rounder which is higher then our own 4th, makes it a good deal. The fact that Wilfolk is sour grapes makes it even sweeter.