Comp Picks - Pt. 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 8, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

12 picks = 7 normal picks + the 3rd round pick for Revis + 4 comp picks

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Actually they need more than 1 more good draft but they're moving in the right direction. They did not nail the 2013 draft. Nailing it would be getting All Pro's in the later rounds like what Seattle's done.

Idzik made a great pick in Richardson. Milliner remains to be seen. Same with Smith.

Before you talk abut adding depth, the Jets still need front line starters out of this draft so no, they're not there yet. You act like the Jets have the personnel of the 49'ers or the Seahwaks which they do not. The Jets need to nail this draft to get some serious starters out of it.

My point earlier about the later round comp picks was to get some depth and hopefully a starter out of it. Yet don't think that they don't have a ton of starting holes that still need to be filled. The Jets need immediate contributors from this draft

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Too early to say he nailed it. Richardson looks like he is going to be a stud.

We already have a thread each discussing Milliner and Geno and the consensus is "let's wait and see"

Winter was forced into the starter role, he didn't really win it. He was up and down all season

We traded a pick for Ivory is what I guess you are saying? So far Ivory definitely has produced better than 5th round value in my opinion.

Bohannon is a FB. It's good we got one, I think he breaks out as average which is perfectly fine for his draft spot and position

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh yeah forgot about the Revis pick too.

Make that 6 starters :jets:

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i believe the article is mistaken, i seem to recall both of them being released and i remember it being noted many times over that idzick wasn't taking anyone that might screw up a comp pick.

the max is 4 pick anyway so the point is kinda moot

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe this to be the case also but the article doesn't mention that as a contributing factor. Given that the NFL does not release the formula I think we have to say that we just don't know if the cuts will count or not.

7. Br4d

They didn't nail it *yet*. Seattle didn't have All-Pros off of those picks their first seasons after the drafts in question. I think the Jets might well have a few Pro Bowl caliber players off of the 2013 draft, however that remains to be seen and is a couple of years away even if it happens.

The 2013 draft did add more talent to the Jets than any draft since 2007 and it is not capped in the way the 2007 draft was because there are 6 players who might contribute to the final score instead of the 4 in 2007.

#27 Br4d, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Because of the number of snaps Manningham played and the value of his contract he basically gets wiped out of the calculations when determining the picks.

It isn't purely how many lost to how many signed to determine the number of picks.

Of course just my guess since no one outside of the inner sanctum know all that goes into this.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Noone's saying it wasn't a solid draft with a great pick in Richardson. However like I said, outside of Rich, it remains to be seen. And Seattle got a shitload of borderline Pro Bowlers in the 4th round and later. There's no way the Jets 2013 draft will resemble that even years down the road from their late rounds picks last year. I think Milliner and Winters have the best shot to pan out from the rest of the Jets 2013 draft picks.

Yet this 2014 draft has a chance to be deep and a lot of immediate impact guys. The Jets need both of these. I want to see Idzik really nail it because even in 2013 some of the picks he made were questionable.

10. Br4d

He started 10 games for the 49ers and had 42 catches on a $2.55M cap number. That has to get taken into consideration somehow. Certainly once you get into the area of wiping out a 7th round comp pick.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's really a shame Keller's season ended in the preseason or the pick we got from him might have been a 5th instead of 6th. Let's also hope the Bucs decide to keep Revis and that stays a 3rd round pick.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

thanks for this

4 picks is decent for sure!

13. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting home runs with all of those picks, but we have a good chance of at least getting one late round gem. If we can also get special teams depth or good contributors like Antonio Allen that's all the better.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Thanks for this.

15. harts24

harts24 Member

This is correct,since Barnes and Goodson were released not FA`s they have no bearing on comp. picks

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I think his list is wrong, I don't think there will be compensation for Keller since he got 0 play time. Then again I'm not saying I understand the comp process but I've always thought that playing time played a role.

17. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

The more shots you have, the more chance you have to hit the target. Let's focus on hitting our top picks and then we can worry about getting a late round gem. That's easier said then done.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

36% of the offensive snaps but that just shows how convoluted the system is. I had myself convinced that his snap count is what took him out of the equation but looking again I don't see why.

I am going to go back to the magic show that is the comp pick and be surprised by what they get.

#38 The Waterboy, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I recall that now, was just thrown off by the article listing them as the "negatives".

_

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I wouldn't completely call 2013 Idzik's draft anyway. He pretty much walked in and had to go based on the scouting team that was already in place. It's not like he had a year as GM with these guys.