Matt's Offseason Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Matt4776, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Hey Guys,

Now that the draft picks are finalized, I thought it'd be a good time to make a mock offseason.

RESIGN: Wilkerson, Colon (1 year), Ducasse (1 year), Nelson, Howard, Folk, and then all of our cheap options (Douzable, Lankster, Walls.etc)

I want to sign Asamoah, which leaves one guard spot left. I want to keep as much depth on the OL as possible and let the best one start. Let Vlad/Winters/Colon compete.

CUTS: Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes

RESTRUCTURE: David Harris- he's extremely overpaid for what he does. He's slow- and the game has passed him by. Today's MLBs need to be fast and able to cover- and Harris isn't that. This pains me as a Michigan student, but he needs to go. Unfortunately, we have no ILBs behind him. I would try to make him take a paycut (but do not push money back down the road). We need to draft a ILB this year so he can be groomed and then start the next year once Harris is cut.

Cromartie- This one is tough. I'd check to see the prices of Verner/Shields. If they are ridiculously expensive, I'd make Cro take a paycut and see if he can regain his pre-injury form. If Shields/Verner come cheap to only be mildly more expensive than Cro, I'd cut him outright and sign one of them.

FREE AGENCY:

Sign Jeremy Maclin 2 yr deal- Knows MM system, should come cheap after his injury.

Sign Jason Worilds 5 yr deal- We just took ourself out of Mack range, and we really need an OLB. Solid young OLB with room to grow.

Sign Jon Asamoah 6 yr deal- We need OG help, and he's the best available. He'd lock down an OG position for the next half decade at least. Still very young.

Sign Stevie Brown 2 yr deal- Young ball hawk who was injured in preseason. Had 8 INTs last year. Should come cheap due to injury.

DRAFT: (Pick 18). I think we'll get 2 comp picks (a 4 and 6)

1. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

With the top WRs and OLBs off the board, and I believe that's going to be TE. WR class is unbelievably deep this year so instead of reaching for a WR and being left without a TE, the Jets snag the best TE in the draft.

2. Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

The Jets are lucky Adams plays for Fresno, or he wouldn't be dropping this far. He received a 3rd round grade from the NFL advisory board, but he won't stay that low. Big, fast, and runs GREAT routes. Opposite of Hill. Great value for a great player.

3 (TB). Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

This may be wishful thinking as he's currently projected as a late second, but I think he may fall to the early third. He won't perform great at the combine as he's not overly fast, which should hopefully stop him to the early third. He isn't flashy, but he's extremely reliable with good hands. He's 6'6 which would make him a great RZ threat.

3. Carlos Hyde, HB, OSU

Yes, another HB. I still don't see a #1 RB on our roster,
    and I feel Hyde is getting criminally underrated by draft experts. He only got stopped for a loss two times this past year. He's a faster Chris Ivory without the injury concerns and better catching and playmaking ability. I think he's the best RB in this class. Hyde/Ivory/Powell/Goodson is a very good group of guys.

4. Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami

We need to get younger at the ILB position as I alluded to, and it's best to draft one now before Harris is gone to provide some competition and so he can be groomed instead of throwing him into the fire. He's fast and dynamic, but his size (5'11) will hurt his draft stock.

4 (COMP). Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

We need another QB, and here he is. Let's hope he'll never have to see the field next year though or else we'll likely be drafting another QB in 2015.

5. Victor Hampton, CB, USC (South Carolina)

Very good man-to-man corner that would likely be a top 5 CB in his class if he came back his senior season but for some reason decided to come out early. Would fit well in Rex's system to develop. Also has the swagger I think is necessary to succeed.

6. Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State

We need a punter, and he's the best in the draft. Also is athletic enough for trick plays a la Weatherford.

6 (COMP). Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

Depth on the OL. No more no less.

7. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

Yes, yes, I know. Cocaine. Why bother. Left rehab. When he started the year, he was the #2 TE in the country. That's superb value here. I think he would make an awesome H-back next to Amaro. If he doesn't work out, doesn't matter- as we have Amaro/Cumberland/Sudfeld.

The one thing that I can see drawing concerns is the lack of a safety. I'm not overly impressed with any of the early round safeties, and the late rounders I don't see enough of an upgrade to warrant replacing Allen/Bush.

Depth Chart:

QB: Geno, Vet, Murray
    HB: Hyde, Ivory, Powell, Goodson
    FB: Bohanon
    TE: Amaro, Cumberland, Sudfeld, Lyerla
    WR: Maclin, Adams, Kerley, Nelson, Coleman, Hill
    OT: Brick, Howard
    OG: Asamoah, Winters/Ducasse/Colon
    C: Mangold

DL: Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis, Douzable, Coples*
    OLB: Coples*, Worilds, Pace, Barnes
    ILB: Davis, Harris , Perryman
    CB: Milliner, Cromartie, Wilson, Walls, Trufant, Hampton
    FS: Brown, Reed
    SS: Dawan Landry, Antonio Allen

Flame on.

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of big FA signings for someone who staunchly believes that spending money in FA leads to losing.

Doubling up on WR in the 3rd is a waste after Maclin. I'd draft a QB later if at all, more likely sign a cheap vet. Lyerla is an enticing gamble, maybe worth one of the comp 5 or 6's if that would get it done. Definitely wouldn't spend a 3rd on HB with Ivory/Goodson/Powell all on the cheap.

3. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

None of them are in that upper echelon of price. Asamoah would probably be the most expensive one. I wouldn't pay more than 6M for Asamoah, 5M for Worilds.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

So basically you wound up doing exactly what I was advocating when you argued with me nonstop for like 20 posts a month ago. Good to know.

FA/offseason makes a lot of sense to me. Draft, not so much.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Interesting take on things. I'm guessing the Jets will dip into the FA pool for a WR so that's a good call.

Harris cap number in 2014 is only $7M with a $5M cash payout on the year. With the year he had it will be hard to restructure him into a pay cut. If the Jets really can't live with his number they're just going to cut him and watch the market grab him at about what he was going to get paid by the Jets.

6. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

I agree with lots of this. Your 4 free agent signings are right on the money and all represent significant upgrades to their respective positions both in the short and long term.

Amaro/Adams are really solid and realistic 1st and 2nd round choices. Yikes. If we signed the 4 guys you listed and draft amaro/adams, we're in business to do business next year and for the next 5 years.

I can't say I agree with the rest of your draft though. I'm all for double dipping at WR in the abstract, but if we have Maclin/Adams/Kerley/Nelson/Hill, there just doesn't seem to be room for another WR. We might never know if Coleman is good or not because we just don't have the reps for him.

I believe we were first in the league in rushing yards this year. With 2 rb's on small contracts and a line that has been a bit shaky all year. That's a position of strength no reason to mess with it. I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I highly doubt a 3rd round RB is going to come in and be substantively better than Ivory/Powell.

7. Martin is the man

flip hyde for Charles Sims and you sir have an excellent draft here!

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I doubt Davante Adams falls out of the first. IMO he's the third best receiver in the draft class.

9. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Bravo, I love it, great job

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Hyde is not better than Ivory and is being severely overrated. I don't think he'll make it to the third round anyway.

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Don't mind the frees agency stuff depending on dollar amounts obviously and like the first two picks but not a fan of the rest.