Another dumb idea of mine

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pclfan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

My favorite Jets play all season was on Sunday when Geno was trying to cross the goal line and Bilal knocked him over. He blasted Geno and it was kind of cool. Of course there are rules against hitting Qbs esp hign. Now for the dumb question. Could Bilal get a penalty for hitting his own Qb high. You see it a lot when a teammate pushes (usually) an RB or Qb forward to get more yardage. But can you be penalized for an illegal hit on your own player. :rolleyes:

2. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

No, I don't think you can get penalized for that. It is to protect the QB against serious injury intentionally inflicted by opposing teams. There's certainly no intent for your own team to inflict injury on your own QB.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If it gets called, it gets called on us.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No. Gronk often hits Brady illegally and doesn't get called for it.

Matter of fact Brady calls for it.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Agreed, very dumb.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What the hell is this crap? Haha.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Maybe the wording of the rule says it's a penalty if you hit the opposing player but not 100% sure of that. Maybe they put it into the rule book like that thinking some idiot somewhere would think of that situation. I never said I was a brain surgeon.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He won't get flagged for a penalty, but he might put his QB on IR trucking him like that. Hit the defender making the tackle you big dummy.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Wow this is a stupid question, I was gonna say " don't be to hard on yourself" but the question doesn't warrant that

10. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

11. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I would think the rules assume that players won't be trying to injure their own teammates.

Although it's funny to reflect on. They could have called Brandon Moore for "illegal use of the butt" last Thanksgiving.

12. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

However I believe it's illegal to assist someone across the goalline by pushing him. Never called. I'll look through the rules for a citation.

13. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

"Binding on" to a player and driving him forwards is commonplace in rugby union. It would be interesting to see if this is a tactic that we could apply next season.

14. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Just looked it up. A.R. 12.2 says it's legal to push a teammate over the goalline. It is illegal to pull a teammate forward. The rule may be different in college. We recall a pushing teammate forward into the endzone penalty called on Reggie Bush pushing Matt Leinert into the endzone in a USC game.

15. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I always thought the rule was that you couldn't do that in any situation. You can block a player making the tackle, but you cannot push your ball carrier forward.

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Unless this happened again, that was actually a no-call in the USC game. They won the game against ND on that play.

Still the greatest game I've ever been to even if my team was on the losing end. Crazy finish. We all thought ND had won when Leinart got crushed in bounds trying to make it to the end zone, but a defensive helmet on the ball sent it flying out of bounds. Of course, this stops the clock (I don't think any rule has changed on that, but I don't think an offense should benefit with a stoppage of clock for fumbling. Obviously it was the right call, but I think that's a misstep in the rule book.) So they got all the students off the field, put 7 seconds back on the clock, and then we have the infamous Bush Push, where Leinart was stopped short, and Reggie Bush, of all people, was able to push Leinart into the end zone for the winning TD.

17. endydee

endydee Active Member

I thought the same thing when the play happened, but after looking at the replay it appeared as if Powell, actually hit the defender to get him off of Geno, as well as assist Geno forward.

#17 endydee, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's not really a stupid question at all. Player A struck Quarterback B in the head/neck area. But if there was any way humanly possible the refs could have called a penalty on the Jets you would have seen 5 yellow flags come out.

I've seen plays where a QB will throw a pass that bounces off the back of his lineman's helmet and the lineman will get flagged for being an ineligible receiver so yes, there are quirky calls.

19. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

In the ice bowl Dallas vs.Green Bay when Bart Starr scored the touchdown sneaking the ball behind jerry Kramer through Jethro Pugh the running back behind Starr was very worried that he might be called for a penalty due to the fact that he had both of his hands on Bart Starr's back ,as he was going through the goal line.
    I don't know if the rules have been rewritten or if they are in place to this day.