First Round Jets Pick 2014

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The glaring need of WR has to be addressed somewhat in FA and possibly OL, S and TE as well, before the draft.

The only draft strategy should be to continue to draft the BPA.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If I don't see some serious offensive talent drafted in the first two rounds, I am going to be very disappointed.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Which is even more reason they should be drafting AFTER the Jets, not BEFORE. At least they have a reason for losing so many games. The Jets lost to weaker teams and need more help, thus they should be picking prior to those teams. The NFL and Goodell suck.

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

This whole draft, other then secondary has to go offense. Just keep adding the best WR, TE, OL available. They'll get very good players.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

The Jets had a more difficult schedule, based on opposing winning %, than the ravens and steelers. So they're picking later.

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And that'll tell me who's running the draft. Cause I don't think Idzik's that blind to reality to think another offseason of Mike Goodson-type scrap heap acquisitions will spark the offense.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets off-season strategy in 2013 was predicated around building a deep 2014 draft for the team. They signed zero free agents who would affect the compensation picks they received while losing a half dozen who might factor in.

2014 is going to be different. I expect that the Jets will be cautious with money but not absent from the free agent chase the way they were in 2013.

Look at Seattle and how they managed the free agent process. We're likely to see similar things from the Jets moving forward. It can't be lost on anybody how last year's free agency winner, the Fins, performed this year.

8. daddy dearest

daddy dearest New Member

+1. I don't think we can afford to draft another qb high. Let's see what Geno can do with some weapons first and if he can't get it done it will only help the next qb to be surrounded with more talent.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

As most people here I'm hoping we go heavy on the offense, not to the complete exclusion of the defense but just don't think we should be using our first rounder on defense.

I say for first rounder we either go best available WR or if no high end WR is available go best available TE and then pick a solid WR in round two. If we grab a WR in round one I'm cool with drafting a S or OLB with our second rounder if the value is good and the picking up a TE in the third.

It's hard to give a generic approach because it's all based on value and who is available. I don't want us to take a WR with the 18th if he's likely going to be there in the second round just for the sake of taking him but at the same time I don't really believe in BPA if it means with end up with another DL or a C or something we are okay at instead of picking up at a position that we have an obvious, glaring hole in.

Now that the bottom part of the draft order has been confirmed and the bowl season is underway it will be interesting to see the mock drafts and who is projected to be available around our spot.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

+1. Looks like there'll be an influx of recieving talent hitting the market - with so much talent out there, it might keep contracts relatively reasonable compared to other years. Free agency can fill many of the holes on the Jets, including suring up the OLB spots, the WR1 and WR2 spots, and, if necessary, RT and LG.

Agreed about the BPA draft strategy. At 18, it would be great to get any good talent, whether it's Ebron, Amaro, Dix, or Lee. As discussed ad nauseum, our favorite team needs a serious infusion of talent. Idzik's got his work cut out for him this offseason.

Edit: For discussion's purposes, here are links to the top 50 FA Thread and the WR Free Agents Thread. If Idzik gets a few of those guys, it'll definitely impact the draft strategy.
    Top 50 Free Agents Thread
    WR Free Agents Thread

#90 NoodleArm, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. Br4d

There are a lot of quality free agent WR's hitting the market this year. Good chance of a WR market crash like last year's CB crash. Hopefully the Jets will find a #1/#2 at a relative bargain compared to the cap-sucking superstars who cap their teams.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

-- Sorry. Meant to post in another thread --

#92 ajax, Dec 30, 2013
  13. Br4d

Manziel and Evans declaring really helps the Jets chances of getting a prime player on 18. Both of those guys should go in the top 15 picks and they'll probably spring somebody nice out to the 18.

14. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Praying one of Evans, Lee, or Watkins falls to us

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Basically this. We really need 1 of these 3 players imo.

16. NCJetsfan

I disagree. There is more than one smart way to build a team. Drafting players at positions that aren't needed just because they're the BPA, only helps the team negligibly. I think that need has to be strongly considered as well.

For instance, at #18 the two highest-rated players at their pick could be a DE and a DT. Taking one of those two positions should only be a last resort imo if they are unable to trade down. They could possibly trade down a few spots, where perhaps the BPAs available could be a TE, FS or WR. Not only would they address a glaring need with the best player available at that spot in the draft, but they would have an additional pick or picks with which to try to improve the talent level of the team. It's not likely, but for that matter the Jets could go through the entire draft and the BPA at each spot could be a defensive player. Following the "BPA" rule and taking a defensive player with each pick would be criminally stupid and a fireable offense imo.

Only an unimaginiative, uncreative GM blindly adheres to some formula for the draft.

#96 NCJetsfan, Dec 30, 2013
  17. NCJetsfan

Obviously, but I still think it's BS. The NFL, not the Jets, determine the Jets' strength of schedule. It's not uncommon at all that the Jets play a tougher schedule than either the Pats or the Fins. I'll also bet that the Saints and Falcons were factored in as being top teams. The Falcons had a ton of injuries and were bad this year. The Saints have been a bad road team. That's why strength of schedule is a ridiculous way to rank the draft.

18. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Why does everyone think we need a FS? We have Antonio Allen and Jarret(former 2nd rounder) to grow there. What we need is a SS. Dawan is good, but getting pretty old. I think deonne Buchanan or Craig Loston would fill that need very well in the second or third rounds respectively.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sorry but reaching for need is what marginally helps a team while taking the best players available will allow a team to sustain its success over time while holes are filled with free agents until BAP and need happen to meet in the draft.

20. NCJetsfan

Because neither Allen nor Jarrett are FSs. They are in the box SS types.