Veteran QB's for 2014

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyMaC, Dec 5, 2013.

?

What Vet should the Jets go after to play QB?

1. Jay Cutler

55 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Josh Freeman

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Michael Vick

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Josh McCown

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Chad Henne

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Mark Sanchez

21 vote(s)
    14.4%
  7. Nobody just roll with Smith and Simms

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Nobody, draft a QB in the first round

35 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Not a vet but maybe trade for Kirk Cousins?

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

With RGIII being hurt all the time, I think the skins will keep him to be safe, but he may want a starting gig somewhere. Also, if RGIII doesn't pan out, they may want draft picks to make up for the future picks they traded away for him, so it's not entirely off the table.

I wish we could get Foles, but the Eagles are definitely keeping him for the future. It may be worth going after Matt Ryan or Matt Schaub. Falcons will be looking for a scape goat after this year and might cut him loose (it would be a huge mistake). The Texans and Matt Schaub seem to be at odds with each other, the fans are turning on him. We know that both guys can perform better than they have this year, and it could lead to us getting one of them for semi-cheap. I'm no GM, but I'd pounce on either of those 2 if available or on the trading block.

#162 Barcs, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Everything went wrong for Atlanta this year. If they are terrible next year, then they might try and start over, but I doubt that includes getting rid of him. They are going to get a very good player where they pick this year in the first round. So, no.. I don't think there is any chance of getting Matt Ryan.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't believe there's someone openly advocating for Rex Grossman. Why not tattoo "I don't really know anything about winning NFL football" on your forehead and just be done with it? At least some of the options (like Cutler and Schaub) had a couple good seasons - Rex Grossman (like Sanchez) has never had a better-than-average season in his career and now he's old and hasn't played for three years. I'd rather have Rich Gannon.

5. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Ah Yes, the Falcons are going to scapegoat Matt Ryan because he could not work with the STABLE of weapons at his disposal. 40 year old Tony Gonzalez, one-legged Roddy White, Harry F-ing Douglas, ???? . He also had a studly cast of RBs in Jacquizz Rogers and Steven "spent as shit" Jackson...

They'd have to be morons.

6. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Cimini asks, Kurt Cousins?

"Cousins has started only one game in two years, has just 73 pass attempts, but he’s well regarded in the scouting community. Obviously, he wouldn’t have lasted until the fourth round if he had RGIII’s skill set, but he’s a solid prospect with potential, the kind of player that should intrigue a team like the Jets.

The price for Cousins would depend on how he plays down the stretch. The Redskins are starved for draft picks, and the Jets have two third-round choices in the next draft. It probably would take more than a third-round pick to make a deal, especially if he plays reasonably well, but it’s a potential investment that deserves consideration. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...014?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

7. Dirty6Sanchez

I'd rather draft Johnny Football in round 2.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Skins were willing to trade Cousins, my jaw would probably break it hit the floor so hard. Then again, we're talking about Dan Snyder. Shanahan may be gone and the new HC and OC might want a different QB. If they are willing to trade him and not asking for anything over a 2nd, I'd trade for him. Geno, Cousins and Hill/McCown/Orton would make good QB depth, and possibly very good.

9. Dirty6Sanchez

Orton would win the starting job easy. He's an Alex Smith-type that hasn't had the weapons.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm wary about bringing in other teams backups.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Only the Redskins could make a massive trade up for a QB in the 1st round, take another QB in the 4th round and then contemplate firing the head coach who was on hand for both picks.

Seriously Dan Snyder? You're really going to put your team in the pooper for 3+ years again?

12. jcjet

jcjet Member

No Dog killer Vick!!

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Glad you aren't in charge of our cap room.

He had played well last year with the Skins when both rookie QBs went down to injury.

Schaub had Andre Johnson and couldn't make it work (and an outstanding TE when he did look good). He will also come at a higher price than you would think.

Cutler will want Jimmy Graham money to come here. I would rather spend it on Graham or other free agents.

14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

He threw exactly zero passes last season. Looked awesome on those handoffs, though.

LMAO - he's gonna get cut and he'll likely be getting a massive Matt Hasselback-like $2 million deal from whoever signs him. Maybe less.

Cutler will get a good sum of money and that's why I prefer Schaub (as a backup) who's not going to get anything. Also, splurging on a pro-bowl TE when the rest of the offense (aside from the Center) is dog feces has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've heard recently.

#174 Unhappyjetsfan, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You just have all of the answers don't you?

Blowing all of our money on Cutler without giving him weapons or fixing the OL will not solve anything except for helping opposing defenses locate and punish Cutler.

"Blowing all of out money on a TE" will make any QB (even Geno Smith) a little better by giving them a safe place to throw the ball in traffic and still move the chains while opening up more of the field for our other play makers. A good TE also serves as a blocker in the run game and protects the QB.

Also Shaub will cost much more than you think.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are not one or two big free agents away from being a good team. Even if they were the goodness would be short-lived and would put the team back on the cyclical path it's been on since 2003 or so.

The Jets are about a half dozen decent players away from being a good team. If the half dozen decent players are young when we acquire them and stay with the team the goodness could last a decade with an occasional down season in the mix. This is what the Steelers and Ravens have done over the last decade.

The Steelers and Ravens both had 13 win seasons before they found their QB. They both made the playoffs more often than not before they found the guy. That's because the rosters were built to be good on a consistent basis. Then you finally find your QB and you're headed for a Super Bowl, in the Ravens case for the second time.

Everybody who is advocating for a veteran QB because it would put the Jets over the top is fantasizing. The rest of the team is not there yet. Build the team. Hope that the QB emerges naturally. Go get your vet once the team is very good if you have too. That's the ticket.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This....... and NO WAY do I want Jeff George Jr. on this team.......

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We would only be guessing what kind of terms Cutler and the Jets might agree on. The Jets will have plenty of cap space. If they can reach good terms with Cutler, they should do it.

And before he got hurt he was having an elite year, so I don't know on what you diss his talent. He was rating out at 98.2.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Orton was a starter, and is behind Romo on the depth chart. Romo has had his late season problems for some reason, and may well be continuing that this year. But he's got the big contract and the overall season long gaudy stats, so I would not say Orton's situation there is typical.

If Orton had been in the Jets' camp this past summer, he would have won the starting job hands down.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He would then get benched for Geno Smith / Mark Sanchez / David Garrard 4 weeks later because Orton freaking sucks. When you lose your job to Tebow, you aren't a starting QB in this league.