(NYDN) Rex gives Jets rookies an A+

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Dec 4, 2013.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/12/rex-ryan-gives-rookies-an-a

Oh, okay.

Sheldon is the brightest spot of the draft for us, for sure. But to say both Geno and Milliner have been anywhere near A+ play? Gimme a break.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I never bother listening to anything Rex has to say, the guy is fuckin living in a fantasy world.

3. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

When asked a question like that why not say NO COMMENT or something diplomatic like they're learning, etc. Do you have to always try to insult our intelligence when we can see before our eyes how bad this team and their top rookies minus one guy is playing esp. Geno. The guy has below the charts stats bordering on worst ever in the NFL. And Milliner is on the highlight film of every opponent with the OC telling the Qb: Throw there! So if these guys get an A+ I'd love to get on that grading curve too.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex has been known to stretch the truth to the breaking point. He couldn't give an honest assessment of his rookies without losing them for the rest of the season as only one of them has been worth a damn.

Rex isn't the shoot from the hip guy anymore. He's Company Man now and you'll get nothing in the form of a honest critique but instead, only praises and platitudes even when they're not warranted.

Tightrope walking is an art. Rex has to learn that no matter what his relationship is with his new boss because basically, he's auditioning for an extension and has to put a "suit on a pig".

In the end, we all know that we wound up with a "pig in a suit". I have a feeling Rex knows this too but can't say it or even hint at it.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ny media at its finest. if you ask the right question you get your article no matter the answer. of course it doesn't look like an a+ draft right now. but what is he going to say. trashing players in the press isn't rex's style, but if he did,the headlines would have been huge. "Rex rips Idzic's picks"
    give a no comment and you leave every hack to translate that however they feel fit with no control over whats put out there.
    so he does what rex does, pumps his players up and takes the slings and arrows that comes with it. atleast he admitted they have struggled, though most people won't read it, just see the headline and proceed to comments to bash rex.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I totally agree cman except for one thing.

While he was a shoot from the hip guy...he was never a reality guy. His sense of reality is warped to say the least. While I think its admirable to defend his players...saying after every game except the last game that Geno was the man. Or wait until the end of the year and then tell me if I was wrong about Milliner. Lines like that are shoot from the hip...but so out of touch.

I know some will say "what do you expect him to say". I dont know...I always have this theory that its ok to try to build someone up thats struggling...but keep it within the limits.

Some of the things he says are so bizarre...so nuts. I get the draft remark because as you perfectly pointed out...is he supposed to say the guy who can fire him after this year had a horrible draft? lol.

This is going to sound terrible..and I apologize up front for it...but I dont see Rex as being the brightest bulb in the chandelier. He thinks he is smarter than he really is. He would be better to be the Rex you described...bellow loud and clear..but NEVER tell anyone what you are thinking...its the safest way out.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Bingo...exactly...but the problem is Rex takes it to far instead of saying something like "right now the jury is still out but Im very excited about a bunch of guys we drafted this year".

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i agree he takes it above what is necessary, sometimes i think he is trying to convince himself. either that or he does it to draw the fire on him and away from the players

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I had no idea Bohanon was graded so poorly. For some reason that really disappointed me.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Breaking Gang Green News: Rex refuses to criticize players through media, instead praises them endlessly.

Coming on the late night/early morning edition: Simms, Sanchez, or Smith? Why do our QB last names start with "S"? Conspiracy? Illuminati? Tune in later to find out! Also, is that water you are drinking dangerous for you? And how to properly decorate your home for the holidays.

Seriously: nothing new here. I think we can count on one hand how many times Rex has criticized a Jet publicly. When we win, it's the players. When we lose, it's the coaching. That's how it's always been his 5 years here. Would it be wiser to somehow dodge the question, sure, but Rex always backs his guys if the criticism of them comes at him. Simms, Sanchez, and Smith could be all be hurt and we are starting Nick Folk at QB and Rex would tell us that Folk has shined in practice at leading this offense and that he has shown poise in the huddle and stepping up for the team. It's what he does, it's how he's always talked to the media as a Jets coach

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

More of the reason this clown of a HC needs to be canned at seasons end

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lmao. i hope that was sarcasm on your part.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

that's what i'm looking for from a HC. someone always looking for a way out..
    instead what we have is a guy who isn't looking for a way out, and stands behind players, GM, and organization, willing to take the heat for them.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex being Rex.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The fact that Rex has benched Dee Milliner now 3x and yet continues to put him out there again and again with Walls and Wilson who are clearly better then him shows you all about Rex's talent evaluation skills. I honestly believe Rex believes what he says. If he didnt, then Smith and Milliner would be riding the pine by now. Its scary that people want this guy back as their head coach. You would think people would of learned by now by Rex's coddling of Sanchez for god knows how many years...

18. Ted

Ted Member

I think it's more about loyalty than an inability to assess talent. Loyalty is a great characteristic until it clouds your judgement. It's ironic that Rex' strongest personality trait will at some point lead to his downfall.

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. I've got no problem with Rex defending his players to the hilt, I've got no problem with him expressing belief and confidence in them, but please do with a bit of realism. Now it looks like he did do this to an extent, but the problem is he did it after he'd given out the A+ soundbite. Everyone stopped listening after that Rex.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Look at it in perspective, he didn't give them the highest score in his ratings. His scale goes from :
    A+ to A++++++++++

so he basically gave them a one out of ten.