Mantra Of Competition...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So I actually ventured over to the official site and was knocking around looking for anything new to read and I stumbled upon Eric Allen's Q&A.

One thing jumped out at me...he mentions

And I got to thinking...

One of the things I originally liked about the Idzik signing was his exposure in Seattle...and THEIR "Mantra of Competition." Does anyone remember Pete Caroll's first couple of years there? It was common...hell even expected...that guys were getting cut left and right...MID-SEASON!! If you sucked butt hole you found yourself out of a job and, literally, street F/A's would be in your place the very next week. I remember this DISTINCTLY because of all the talking heads were yammering on about how strange it was and it was never going to work etc... I guess the talking heads were full of shit.

Did anyone WATCH that MNF game? I get to see Seattle a couple times a year thanks to the division match up with the 49'ers. THAT is what I want our team to look like! Most importantly if you go up and down their roster you see guys from every position in the draft as well as off the street who CONTRIBUTE.

Now...if Idzik was operating with Seattle's style of "competition" (which is what I was hoping for) how come I haven't seen muther F'ers getting cut? You don't perform you find your ass on the street. We'll go find someone who WANTS to play and will do as they are told. This should be going on ALL season. Hell, we can't even get our team to give our backup QB some first team reps. considering he probably will have to come in at half time again at some point. Doesn't matter if you were a god damn draft pick or not. It didn't matter to Seattle and surely shouldn't matter to us.

Food for thought...I'm just wondering where OUR "Mantra of Competition" is....

#1 mezzavo, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

because we would have nobody left on the roster save the D line.

3. mezzavo

LOL!!!! :rofl:

Not true! Trust me...there are guys out there, packing groceries somewhere, who would come in and run through a brick wall for a shot...or in our case...BLOCK like a brick wall...or put hidden stick um' on their hands to catch a ball. Guys who WANT to be there AND perform. Just sayin'. :jets:

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yeah... that Harrison guy comes to mind.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And they looked like they was having a shitload of fun.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

A mantra of lies

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It must all be Rex's fault somehow

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Since we lack talent on offense I think the logical move would be for our defensive players to play some Iron Man football. If they are going to be on the field 80% of the time otherwise I think this makes sense.

QB Davis (Harris is backup TE, Landry is our # 3 WR)
    RB Ivory
    WR Cromartie
    WR Allen
    TE Pace
    LT Wilkerson
    LG Richardson
    C Snacks
    RG Ellis
    RT Coples

9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

we have some injuries as well as some prospects we arent ready to give up on. team is too young at the moment to really start going crazy with cuts and everything IMO

what are you gonna do, cut simms? cut the vet back up? cut the rookie starter? our rbs shouldnt go anywhere really. maybe some movement on the line but i mean, theres not much room unless you think we need to totally gut the roster, but at the same time, theres not much money this season. im not sure how cutting and signing new players throughout the year affects the cap, but im sure there are some limitations being placed on what idzik actually can do because of that.

team will look completely different next season with all the cap room the jets will have. still, i see your point and maybe we should be deciding sooner rather than later on some of the guys on the roster

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

For some reason, this lineup seems better than our current offense.

11. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I mean with all due respect to that, I get what you are saying, but those guys just are not out there, or if they are, there has to be a reason they aren't playing. I get that you're comparing an organizational mindset, but we just have absolutely no talent outside of our front 7, and if we want to be competitive, we just can't afford to offer that. In Seattle, they are absolutely loaded, and when you are as talented as they are, you can afford to try and "fit in" guys, because they have the talent to cover up those holes, and for them it has been able to work. One of the major reasons is the confidence that team plays with, they have the swagger and believe that they can kick the absolute crap out of every team in the league, and they play like it. Our Jets on the other hand, I think that there is not a lot of confidence in one another, I mean look at last week, can you imagine playing a perfect half of football and your offense putting up 40 yards of offense? Damn that would really piss me off if I was playing D, because they can't do it by themselves. To summarize, I think that that mantra works, because they have the type of talent to where they can afford to cut a decent player, we do not have the luxury to cut talented players, and the players who I would cut in 10 seconds, there is too much loyalty for failed draft picks (Wilson, Ducasse, Hill)

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the sham competition cost us a good season.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It is where John Idzik says it is. Explains a lot doesn't it..

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think once he has players by choice, rather than necessity you may see the Mantra hold true.
    When you have a good core of players you can work in and out the non performers, but you have to establish the core. We don't have that, we have contracts that get paid whether they are deserved or not and honestly, we already have good share of stock clerks.

It's not only Seattle who does this, although they may have pushed it farther. Look at Pitt and N.E., they have had plug and play positions for years and always remain competitive. A guy goes down, is traded/released another fills the void.

15. mezzavo

I hear you...and understand what you are saying...BUT, this wasn't always the case with Seattle. The time period I'm talking about they sucked. The REASON they have the talent they now have is because of what I am describing above. This is the result...not the means to the end. They didn't have a core of shit when Carroll got there...they had Matt Hasselbeck and that is it.

I get what you are saying though. As far as cap ramifications go it's a mid-season hire. There are no signing bonuses, no long term ramifications. It affects only the games they play in. IF you have, for example, $500,000 in cap room and you bring in a guy for $250,000/yr...it only affects that cap room for THAT game or games he plays in. That is the beauty of NFL, non-guaranteed, contracts. It this were MLB or NHL it would be different.

As far as THIS goes:
    Hell, sign me up! If they are going to be on the field all half they might as well play offense and get us some points. LOL!!!!! :metal:

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Funny how rookies don't have to compete for playing time as the only way it seems they can learn is to get their asses kicked in regular season game time.

Perhaps if we benched Smith and Winters for their poor play we would win a couple games and they would learn anyway.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, playing Ellis at OG may be a brilliant idea. I seriously doubt any pass rusher would get by him, and he would conceivably be a real road grader in the run game.

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I don't think the talent is out there for people to come in and contribute and turn a whole team around.

We have a shitload of new players on the team, and the team is really inexperienced in terms of overall age.

The offense is woeful and that is what you get when you have vet guys missing 4~5 games at a clip, a rookie QB, not a dominant run-game, and you are bringing in injured practice squad players from other teams to compete.

If that isn't a depleted roster, I don't know what is...

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Captain Sanchez would have saved the day!!!!

:rofl:

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

cost us a playoff app.