Time to trade or sign a QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

we need to find our own matt hasselbeck

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like both guys, especially Mallet.

There is no way the Patriots will trade Mallet to us so we have to hope that no trade happens and Mallet makes it to free agency.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we are not a qb away from being a contender. if they want to sign a mid level vet to compete with geno or drfat a guy they feel can be the franchise thats a good move. but stressing the cap for jay cutler when we need playmakers on the offense isn't a good move. who is he going to throw to?

4. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

It won't matter what QB we bring in until we upgrade the weapons they have to work with. When was the last time we had a legit number one wide receiver on this team? Keyshawn Johnson...

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You forgot Coles.

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If Rex remains the coach and the defense continues to play at this level or better, the Jets are one of the teams who might make the Super Bowl with an established non-drafted QB.

The QB play going back to 2011 has been astoundingly bad. Turnovers have been unprecedented. Not just in number but in the timing of when they occur. Where would the Jets be if points off turn-overs were cut in half?

That being said, I'm not a GM... but I think Matt Schaub could be had for the right price; same for Kirk Griffin or RG III; Phil Rivers might be available if the Chargers don't make the play-offs; the Falcons and Matt Ryan can't be a solid relationship given their 2-9 season. What if they finish 3-13 and are looking at a big QB (Manziel) sitting there at their pick.

And before you tell me why you wouldn't take any of these players, ask yourself what the Jets record would be if any of them were the starter this season.

To me, trading for a QB is a very doable thing, especially this year.

Its Up to the GM to make this happen

7. Endlessly Counting

WE could be $50 million under next year

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are delusional. Cousins, RGIII, Ryan, and Rivers are not going anywhere. RG III is revered in D C and gets a pass because of his injury. Cousins will be kept as insurance given Griffin's injury history. Rivers is having a great season and the Chargers are not giving up on him for an unknown. Ryan is a star trying to make do with a depleted roster ( sound familiar?). Ryan is playing without his top two receivers, no running game,and a patchwork OL.

So , who do you trade for? Tell me.

Besides, what do you offer? The Jets have so many needs on offense that they can't afford to trade multiple draft picks for a retread.

9. Endlessly Counting

Any of those players can be had for the right number of draft picks in 2014 & 2015

10. skeleton_frames

I completely agree, but taking this step will require Idzik to hire a coaching staff capable of developing a young QB. I've liked Marty's offense this year at times, but I'm sure on the Ryan regime's ability to develop a young QB.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

It's simple - the Jets can't afford to lose draft picks so trading it out. Would have to be a free agent. No one is out there that makes you go wow this guy is who we need.

Sanchez is under contract, knows the team, knows the offense, and should be willing to adjust his contract with the opportunity to compete. This off season should be focused on upgrading the skill positions wherever possible.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

this has to be nominated for the dumbest post on this forum. it just has to be

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Your gonna tell me that the Falcons are gonna be willing to trade their $100M QB who has established himself as one of the best in the league for a QB who is boom or bust? Ya right. No way Washington is willing to give up RGIII after 2 seasons when they gave up three 1st round picks and one 2nd rounder...

14. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I love how most of you people are so ready to give up on Geno. Get the man some weapons around him then let judge him. Plus he a fucking rookie and shit like this is going to happen. Geno has showed he can be a good QB. Plus to be fair to Geno we all know Sanchez would had been our starter if he didn't get hurt. So that should tell us they knew Geno not ready. So chill out people. We are still in the thick of this playoff race.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

NO DRFAT PICKS.

We are not in a position to be trading draft picks, I'd seriously hate Idzik if he did that. the only thing a draft pick should be traded for is MORE draft picks, a second for two thirds or something like that.

we need all the picks we can get.

And we don't have anything worth trading on our roster, unless somebody is chomping at the bit to get rid of a worthwhile QB for our scraps. (he'd have to be somewhat good or we wouldn't want him right?)

no, if we sign a new QB its not coming from a trade, likely it'll be a low cost veteran free agent. Think Josh Freeman and Chad Henne, guys that'll take what we give them that can hold down the fort while our younger QB's learn, compete or even start.

meanwhile we use all the draft picks and money we didn't waste to bolster our offensive ranks with as many supporting pieces as possible.

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Pffffttt....I wouldn't WASTE the time on Simms now...he's not going to get a fair shot. They put their "wad" on Geno it's time, at this point, to ride out the rest of the year...if he gets killed...so be it. Why subject your 2nd QB to what will essentially be jail break defense for the remaining 5 games?

We blew our ONLY chance go get a legitimate QB in FA this year ala Alex Smith. I remember bringing it up....TWICE...and getting laughed off the board. We would be leading the division with him behind center...even with our marginal talent. As most posters on here have already commented on...typically if a QB is available via FA then they are castoffs for one reason or another. Smith would have been the exception to the rule and given us more talent at the position than when Dilfer won the SB with the Ravens and their Defense.

Nope...my towel is on the canvas. I say they ride Geno in to the friggin' ground...when he fails they draft a QB in the first next year. As it is just like the NY Jets...they can never lose the right amount of games to pull in a decent top 5 pick when it comes to QB...without trading up that is. MY only hope is that Jacksonville and Tampa really bring it on and we lose the remaining 5 games.

My head is in my hands after this one...

17. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Haha.

Mike Glennon is playing very well in Tampa as a rookie. I remember pre-draft, a lot of sports-websites were gushing about him. Who ever scouts QBs for the Jets should be replaced. There's a reason so many QB needy teams didn't draft Geno in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I want exactly ONE example that he's shown he can be a good QB in the last 6 games. ONE. You DO realize he and Matt Simms have thrown the exact same amount of Touchdowns over that span, right? Geno Smith WILL break the record and go down as having the worst Rookie Season of any QB in the HISTORY of the NFL. That you can take to the bank.

I don't go on what should haves and could have's. This is the god damn NFL and you either hitch up your jock, man up and play the game or get the hell out of dodge and go knit socks for a living.

We aren't in the thick of shit. With Geno behind center you can basically write down Carolina and at LEAST 1 loss to Miami as gospel. I watched the Raiders game today and I am not confident we can beat them either. No sir...when Geno shit the bed the first half and there was no switch the coaching staff told me all I needed to know about the 2013 NY Jets. The announcers even said it. Fear....fear is the great equalizer...fear of a QB controversy is going to wipe out 2013.

The Oakland Raiders can start MATT Mc-freakin-GLOIN and we can't bench a 2nd round draft pick to try something for a spark? MATT McGLOIN!!!!!!!!!!

No sir, you can take Geno Smith and shove him where the sun don't shine. I'm not impressed....

19. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

With Rex Ryan running the team, we will not develop a QB. This is not the place to do it. An all defense coach with no emphasis on offense. He has been the coach for 5 years, has had 3 OC's with the same result. We need to sign a vet with a strong arm, and start stockpiling O players. We don't need a shut down defense, just an effective one. Signing a defense of superstars gives us what we have now. An unbalanced mess.

20. DanR

DanR Active Member

Can Josh Cribbs play QB?