2013 week 7 - N.E. Patriots @ NY Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Jets are preparing as if he is playing though. As they should...

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Again? Wow. Thought for sure he would fittingly be ready for this weekend.

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Tale of the Tape

This is from Mike Reiss at ESPNBoston.com.

This is one area the pats have it all over the Jets. Mike Reiss is so much better than the guys you have at ESPNNY. He gives cool info and will share his opinion when issues come up, but he never looks to "break" bullshit stories with unnamed sources.

A look at the 5-1 New England Patriots in our weekly "stat check," while also bringing Sunday's opponent -- the 3-3 New York Jets -- into the discussion:

Points scored
    This week: 22nd (20.8)
    Last week: 24th (19.0)
    Last season: 1st (34.8)
    Jets in 2013: 29th (17.3)

Points against
    This week: 4th (16.1)
    Last week: 2nd (14.0)
    Last season: Tied-9th (20.6)
    Jets in 2013: 15th (22.5)

Third-down offense
    This week: 18th (34 of 93, 36.6 percent)
    Last week: 17th (29 of 78, 37.2 percent)
    Last season: 1st (110 of 226, 48.7 percent)
    Jets in 2013: 19th (31 of 85, 36.5 percent)

Third-down defense
    This week: 12th (32 of 88, 36.4 percent)
    Last week: 12th (27 of 74, 36.5 percent)
    Last season: 22nd (82 of 205, 40.0 percent)
    Jets in 2013: 14th (36 of 98, 36.7 percent)

Turnover differential
    This week: Tied-6th (plus-5, 12 takeaways, 7 giveaways)
    Last week: Tied-6th (plus-4, 10 takeaways, 6 giveaways)
    Last season: 1st (plus-25, 41 takeaways, 16 giveaways)
    Jets in 2013: 30th (minus-11, 3 takeaways, 14 giveaways)

Red zone offense (based on TD percentage)
    This week: 30th (9 of 22)
    Last week: 31st (6 of 17)
    Last season: 1st (49 of 70)
    Jets in 2013: 25th (6 of 13)

Red zone defense (based on TD percentage)
    This week: Tied-8th (7 of 17)
    Last week: 7th (5 of 14)
    Last season: 13th (24 of 46)
    Jets in 2013: 11th (9 of 20)

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Curious to see if Jets fans agree with Field Yates (the other guy on ESPNBoston who covers the Pats) assessment of Jets players. This is his 2nd meet the Jets blog.

This link is to the first matchup, and the players include Geno, Mangold, and Cromartie
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748449/getting-to-know-the-jets-2

Getting to know the Jets ... again
    October, 15, 2013
    Oct 155:00AM ETBy Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com Recommend0Tweet0Comments0EmailPrintWe normally use this space to introduce the New England Patriots' upcoming opponent, but as the team takes on the Jets for the second time this year, that task was previously covered.

While the players highlighted in that entry remain critical cogs on the New York Jets roster, there are a host of others who have contributed to the team’s 3-3 record.

So rather than scrapping the post for this week, here’s a re-introduction to the Jets and a new set of players to know on either side of the ball.

Record: 3-3 (3rd in AFC East)
    Head coach: Rex Ryan (fifth season)
    Offensive coordinator: Marty Mornhinweg
    Defensive coordinator: Dennis Thurman

THREE MORE PLAYERS TO KNOW, OFFENSE

1. LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. As far as first-round investments are concerned, few have proven more reliable than Ferguson, a top draft choice out of Virginia in 2006. Since being drafted fourth overall by the Jets, Ferguson has played and started in all 118 regular-season games in New York, ably manning the left side of the line regardless of who has been under center. He’s been a Pro Bowl pick three times and signed a gigantic eight-year extension in the summer of 2010. Based on his performance thus far, he’s been worth almost every penny.

2. WR Jeremy Kerley. The Jets have been beaten up in the receiving corps with veteran Santonio Holmes forced to miss time recently due to a hamstring injury, but Kerley has remained a steady presence. The shifty slot man has the quickness to be a factor in the underneath passing game and also is a reliable returner. With rookie quarterback Geno Smith still working to adapt to the pro game, Kerley presents him with a target that can be effective in routes run at or near the line of scrimmage.

3. OG Willie Colon. He’s not a star, but the 30-year-old Colon has brought significant leadership to the Jets’ huddle after spending his first seven seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He’s a no-nonsense grinder who can hold his own in the middle of the offensive line. After being limited to just 12 games over the previous two seasons, Colon -- who has started in every NFL game that he has appeared in -- has played in each game this season.

THREE MORE PLAYERS TO KNOW, DEFENSE

1. LB DeMario Davis. The billing on Davis coming out of the draft via Arkansas State last season was that he was a top-notch athlete who had play-making potential at the NFL level. At a shade under 240 pounds, Davis isn’t a huge thumper, but he can move laterally and cover ground in pass defense. He’s developed into an emotional leader in just his second season in New York, as chronicled by ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini in this recent piece.

2. DT Sheldon Richardson. It is too soon to hand out any hardware, but if votes were cast today for defensive rookie of the year honors (and this scribe had a vote to cast), I’d pick Richardson, the player the Jets took with a pick acquired from the Buccaneers in the Darrelle Revis trade. The lightning-quick near-300-pounder out of Missouri already has proved to be a disruptive force up the middle, logging 2.5 sacks and 30 tackles in just six games. Paired along the line with Muhammad Wilkerson, Richardson already looks like the real deal.

3. CB Darrin Walls. The important reason to know this name? Walls is in line for his fourth consecutive start this Sunday as the Jets deal with a lingering hamstring issue to their top pick in this year’s draft, Dee Milliner. Walls was signed to the Jets’ practice squad during the 2012 season but has since worked his way on to the active roster and now is playing a significant role. Though he’s yet to intercept a pass this season, Walls has gotten his hands on four balls through the first six games.

OTHER NOTES: Former Patriots tight end Zach Sudfeld, claimed off waivers by the Jets, made his team debut in Week 6, totaling just one offensive and one special teams snap. ... Former Patriot Kellen Winslow, Jr. will miss Sunday’s game as he continues to serve a suspension as a result of a violation of the league’s performance enhancing substance policy. ... Running back Mike Goodson was activated for Week 5 after serving his own four-game suspension, and in two contests had 80 total yards. He left Sunday’s game, however, and is out for the season with a knee injury. ... The Jets lead the NFL with 56 penalties through six games, putting them near the pace of the 2011 Raiders for the most all-time during a 16-game season (163).

5. JAG

JAG New Member

Right, oh the Jets still have Woody for an owner and the Pats have Kraft, right?

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I agree pretty much all around. Some small things. Brick has played well but not exactly the best he has. There have been a few occasions that he has been flat out beat but obviously everyone gets beat at times.

Very fair assessment though. Love hearing Sheldon getting the praise he deserves. Kid has been awesome

7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

For in game wild cards I think it is good. I have been waiting for them to feature Chris Ivory more. With Powell hurting and Goodson out, there may not be a better game for Ivory to break out. IF not now then when.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

interesting - the pats have a top flight defense - just like the jets...;)

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think he's pretty good too but it's pretty simple to post those #s and just seeing rankings doesn't really tell the story but I do like the espn Pats blog better than the Jets one.

10. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

get ready to get spanked in this game and against cincy and n.o.

11. PatriotWarrior

He's expected to more so this week than last, but who even knows at this point. Florio reported that he's expected to miss "one more game at the most." We won't really know until the inactives are released.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Current Jets secondary who were single-handedly torched by a Julian Edelman-level receiver vs. a HOF great QB with an improving group of receivers.

Ow.

On offense: Winslow out, Holmes out, no less a stiff than Clyde Gates was pressed into service and now he goes down for the count. Change of pace back Goodson out.

An already so-so roster now with even more holes than they can cover up. And then there's our "stick-like-glue" safeties...

#132 joe, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What happens when someone gets 100 yards receiving or a receiving TD against the Jets, what's worse than "torched" in your football vocabulary? Just being annoying here :wink:

Nothing has really changed in the Jets strategy vs the Pats. I think the Jets could get away with blitzing more if Gronk is out, but that still is risky vs Brady and the quick fire offense. I would like to see any trick plays we have brought out because without the big plays, we need to piece together long drives. That also means if the defense or ST can chip it, greatly needed.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No problem, I'm being annoying myself. If an obvious threat like Heath Miller can run free totally unaccounted for, I can only imagine what NE will install for their TE's (Gronk or no Gronk).

Realistically I just don't see us matching Brady score for score. Their secondary might be nothing to write home about but ours currently sucks donkey dick. Isaiah Truffant in the dime? Why wouldn't Brady be licking his chops? MoWilk & Co. can only bring just so much heat from upfront.

You mentioned trick plays? Outside of Kerley working out of the Wildcat, I don't see any quick strike gadget plays the Jets could throw out there. With Holmes out (again) you know NE will make doubly sure Hill doesn't beat them deep like he did the Steelers (on the Geno overthrow).

Not a darksider, just don't like this Brady vs. our secondary matchup.

15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Truthfully, as much of a liability as this secondary is, I would rather let our front 4 try and get to Brady and see what happens. I know making Brady uncomfortable is the preferred method, but this secondary scares the hell out of me if the blitz doesn't get to the QB...

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't like the matchup either. The Pats aren't going to let anyone get behind their secondary, they're going to keep everything in front of them and force us to piece together long drives. That's why I think something like a flea flicker, the WC that ends in Geno chucking a bomb, things like that might get Hill a step on a defender. The other option is PA, but that requires a really strong and effective run game, I'm not sure we have that like we did in 2009.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Mayo could possibly be out. And so could Talib. Their defense could be very difference than when we played them last time. Geno just can't turn the ball over and we will have a shot... Just like every game we play this season.

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

All the NE injuries are irrelevant as long as Brady is the QB.

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Brady played like shit prior to that final drive vs. New Orleans. He missed a bunch of wide open receivers and can't throw a good deep ball anymore. He's still a top-10 QB no doubt, but let's not pretend like its the 07-09 Brady anymore.

20. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Brady was a beast that last drive, as he should be, it's Tom Brady. HOWEVER, the Saints the game like assholes and lost because of it. Belichick and Brady capitalized