Our Past 3 Draft Classes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RIPJimLeonhard, Sep 23, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As long as players are developing this season, Rex will be here for the foreseeable future. I don't see a replacement out there - I think the coaching we have now is the best we've had in a longggg time.

The blueprint is there for long-term success.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

What about the Phins?

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fuck em

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The thing about Rex is if he remains coach he almost guarantees us a top 10 defense if not a top 5 defense every year. If Geno pans out and is an above average to average QB we will be contenders every year with Rex's defense and our defense will make us even more dangerous in the playoffs. The next 10-15 years we could have a window of being a perennial super bowl contender. What a dream that would be. But to do it we need Rex and his defense.

That being said its no sure thing Rex is still here next year. We have a brutal schedule from games 4-9 and we will be riding the ups and downs of a rookie QB in a pass 1st offense. We could very well end up being a much better team at the end of the year but with a bad enough record for Rex to lose his job. Not to mention the media hates the Jets and the media gets huge page hits and tons of money with any anti-Jet story. If they can get the chance they will run a non-stop fire Rex campaign as soon as the Jets record drops below 500 as nothing else will get them more page hits. I can visualize the media hounding Rex at press conferences if he is worried about his job until he snaps said something stupid then they have media feeding frenzy of Rex is not stable articles and before you know it we have another Dennis Green. Hopefully we can get a few more quick wins and get Rex an extension before the season ends and just shut the media up.

#44 Noam, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Players

The Jets seem to have some excellent young talent. All they lack is experience. With a few more skilled players and some depth they can be one of the better clubs by next season.
    You win with players, coaches come and go. Idzik is getting a chance to evaluate the staff. By the end of the year he will put his stamp on it. Unfortunately, Rex does himself no favors when he gets so involved with the defense. As Chip Kelly is finding out in Philly a head coach has to be involved with the whole team. The players may like Rex but they will play for anyone who gives them a good plan. If he wants to be a defensive coordinator again I'm sure he can find a job. This young team needs a head coach who has his stamp on the whole operation. If Rex wants to stay he should get involved with both sides during the week and run the game on Sunday. Let Thurmond make the D call and Marty the O. He should tell them what he wants in certain situations because he set up the plan with them. That's what an NFL coach does.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I am from Oregon and am a HUGE Ducks fan. Was really pissed that Kelly wasn't looked at to be coach of the Jets. I know! I know! Ryan is staying. But would have been really interesting to see his offense here after a couple of really successful drafts. Although I realize it will take him some time to succeed in the NFL, Kelly would have been an interesting prospect.
    About the drafts, I think we've done okay the last few years.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Screw that. Philly is 1-2 and I think we have too many young guys for a system like that to work. It would be interesting, sure, but it teams teams have already adjusted and seems too much like college ball. I'd rather have Rex running the D and MM running the O however. 2 proven successful people in those respective positions.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Ducks

The jury is out on Kelly as an NFL coach. College players, unfortunately, are disposable. He is finding out that NFL players get hurt in space too. It's hard to replace them. Next few weeks will be interesting.

9. Mr. Green Pants

With Winters taking over for Vlad, four of Idzik's eight draft picks have become starters and a fifth (Milliner) is waiting in the wings. Too early to call the 2013 draft a big success, but the early indications are positive.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that Allen was a shot in the dark. 4 months before 2012 draft, I had him as a 3rd round pick in my mock. At that time I didn't know what he would test at, but based on the eye test, he looked like an early pick.

Funny thing about my mock is that I projected A.J. Jenkins as a 4th round pick. Yet, the Niners reached and drafted him in the 1st (probably because of his 40 time). He's since been labeled a bust and traded away to KC. The truth of the matter is that he is a WR that needed time to develop and should have never been drafted that high. Conversely, Allen should never have dropped to the 7th. Just goes to show you that sometimes these FOs know as much or less than we do.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=70486

11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Geno turns into a franchise QB, I don't care how the last three drafts look. He He

12. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I think if you can come out of each draft with one 'star', 2 servicable starters and a couple developmental players you have done a good job.

I know it's early, but Mo, Sheldon, and Davis (possibly Q, not enough time to tell) fir the bill for the first category, Geno, Kerley, Bohanon, Hill, Ellis & Allen fit for servicable, and there are guys like Winters and Snacks that I think will really pan out well (Sancks good enough to start on most teams, but has Ellis playing even better in front of him). I think we need Winters to improve, since he is promoted as having a nasty streak, which is what you need in the trenches (Colon is filling that role now, Faneca sis in the past).

In summary, I think we've done pretty well. I always liked Tanny, but Tebow + Sporano + Sanchez contract structure + Holmes contract + 8-8 + 6-10 = goodbye Mike T. Someone had to take the fall, and Woody loves him some Rex (as do I).

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

snacks has been starting over ellis

14. inactive23

inactive23 New Member

Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere, but while we are discussing our recent draft classes, this is what PFF had to say this week about its ROTY race (note that while it may not be relevant to compare offensive/defensive players, this list includes both):

1. Sheldon Richardson, DE, Jets: +10.5

Our number four ranked 3-4 defensive end on the year, Richardson added another sack to his season total but as ever it was his work against the run that added to his already impressive overall grade. Of all 3-4 defensive ends only J.J. Watt has more stops against the run.

---

Richardson is playing at an elite level right now against the run and the pass. This is even more fantastic when you consider that he's still at a very embryonic stage of his development - 5 games in and he is already an impact player. No disrespect to our best player, but Wilkerson wasn't even this good this fast. Combine this with the dominant play we are getting at NT from Snacks (undrafted last year! What a testament to the scouting/coaching staff) and Ellis and we are seeing the payoff from acquiring and developing awesome young talent.

15. LockDown

LockDown Member

maybe the reason why Richardson is looking so good is due to the talent around him????

don't get me wrong, I like what I see. but Im just saying..

16. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

this filler

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

indeed - talent will assist talent. thats why its imperative to have 2 pro bowl level players on the D line. opposing offenses can sheme around one, but having two makes it much more difficult.

18. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Either way, two quality NTs is great to have since you can flip them out with little to no downgrade in production and always have a fresh guy.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I wasn't keen on Davis when we drafted him - mainly because he seemed like a reach based on his projections (but then I guess they had to take him early if they liked him as we had no 4th or 5th round picks).

Allen was probably my favourite pick from that draft.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He also traded away a lot of draft picks for short term fixes and the team lacked depth all around as a result.