No godd@#n discipline!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The guy he appointed captain quitting on the team. The OC and GM getting fired. The incredibly poor record down the stretch both years. The HC admitting he lost the team. You know shit like that.

Generally when you have a younger team learning a new system you don't hold a QB competition and put your starting QB ("the guy gives us the best chance to win") in an exhibition game with the third unit. It's all good those aren't coaching decisions.

I'm not down on Rex for not knowing shit about how to run an O. I'm down on him for allowing the Jets to run a finesse O where the other teams D is punching our O in the face all game long simply for the opportunity to have big plays once in awhile.

Rex used to be a big tough guy. We are going to punch you in the mouth. If you're tougher than us that's fine. That's not the O we're running. Rex doesn't have the balls to have a team in all phases that's a reflection of his personality. At this point in year 5, Rex is still a DC not a HC.

#41 Biggs, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That could be problematic with the married guys on the team Don... :)

Evidently this team needs a Penalties Coach on staff. Didn't Herm hire one of those back in the day? I know he hired Dick Curl but wasn't there another hire? Ex-Ref or something like that?

Maybe Rex should look into that. Gotta work better than push ups or taking away their X-boxes and IPods. How about a $100 team fine for every penalty to be paid after the game or would the NFLPA have a problem with that...

#42 Cman68, Sep 30, 2013
  3. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Haha.

[YOUTUBE]tdbORXEmbnk[/YOUTUBE]

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

2 in the morning & that's the best you've got?
    I guess the concept of commenting or making an opinion on an internet blog got lost in your shuffle.

5. Sorry...I can't agree w/ this.

You're basically angry at the Jets for moving away from an offensive philosophy that doesn't really work anymore. Tony Sporano is the DEFINITIVE "Hit you in the mouth" offensive coordinator. How well did that work out? Defenses are too big,strong, fast & smart anymore. You can no longer build an offense around a smash mouth running game.

The rules favor finesse play,whether we like it or not. It's about outside skill, speed & match-ups. The Jets had no CHOICE but to move away from "hit you in the mouth" b/c it was prehistoric & outdated.

Now we're seeing the growing pains of a drastic switch in offensive philosophy, a young QB & the start of a rebuild. Maybe it isn't pretty. Maybe some of us would rather see the throwback 3 yards & a cloud of dust type stuff. But unfortunately the rules & tides of the game have forced teams to switch away from that style. Blaming the jets for being nothing more than progressive in their philosophy is not fair, IMO.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rex lacks discipline hence all the penalties, but the Jets were above average vs the rest of the league in avoiding defensive and offensive penalties 3/4 years Rex was here.

So I don't see the lack of discipline, I just and idea that spread around by somebody that caught on that isn't accurate according to the stats.

Also remember people have said "Rex lost the team" his last 3 years here. In 2010 when we had all the off field distractions and went 11-5. 2011 when we went 8-8 and Santonio Holmes yelled at someone on his own team, something no other player ever does in the NFL. I've never seen an opponent start screaming at his offensive line or other WRs because they were frustrated. Never seen it, or even a player walking past his injured teammate to argue with a ref in the end zone.. :) And again in 2012 when the Jets went 6-10 with no QB on the roster. So overall when "losing the team", Rex has an above .500 record slightly.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You're exactly right--Rex wants to be a friend of the players instead of their coach. We need a new head coach bad--Someone smart enough to avoid the tattoo of some loser's uniform .

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

How can you deal with responses like this except to say..you are correct. The HC does not actually play the game so close the fucking site down and lets just wait for basketball season to start.

Want to know how many coaches have been fired for lack of discipline? Hundreds and hundreds of coaches in every sport.

Im not sure you can blame all of this on Rex but a very very smart human being once said...you cant fire the team so you fire the coach.

I will give him a third straight below 500 season before I call for his head..oh wait..I already made a thread to fire him after he didnt call timeouts on time and wasted challenges.

But he is a defensive genius...

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Don are you serious with this? Yes its up the players but Kyle Wilson is a perfect example. He practically had to be called for masturbating on the field for his 6th penalty before Rex took him out.

Kyle Wilsons fault? Hell yes..but set an example of him. "oh..but Kyle came back and played so much better" I could give two shits if Kyle came back and gave birth on the field. He doesnt see the field if anyone with balls is coaching that team.

The team..after all of those pushups during the week...ewww....comes back out and Vlad starts masturbating on the field...his punishment? Wouldnt you have like to see Rex taking the head piece off and laying into them? Some guys respond back that you do not do it during a game. Want me to give you a list of great head coaches that have called out a guy right then and there?

The guys calling the game are saying EWWW...Rex looks mad because Rex is muttering something into the headpiece.

I can give you a list of many solid DC or OC's that just couldnt make the jump to HC..and Im getting the feeling that come next year...Rex will be doing what Rex is great at...running a defense. I just hope its not in our division.

And the search will begin for hopefully not another Kotite or Edwards...because as a Jet organization...thats what we do every half decade...look for the next great HC...and Rex is not close the the complete package...and Im sorry about that.

#49 jaywayne12, Sep 30, 2013
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Ravens don't run a WCO. They won the SB last year. The Steelers and Giants don't run a WCO they won SB in the last 10 years.

Packers run a WCO they have a top 3 NFL QB.

The Jets aren't being progressive they are killing the QB, losing TOP and putting their chief asset, their D in bad field position over and over again.

Having Bill Walsh's ball boy run a system that worked for Joe Montana and Jerry Rice 20 years ago isn't progressive. The WCO is no more progressive than the winged T, today.

We went through this before with Herm. He brought Dinger in to install a down field attack with two QB's on the roster who couldn't throw down the field. Both of them were done in early in the year. Dinger was done the same year as was Herm.

We got to two AFC Finals with a horrible QB by using zone blocking and running the ball down people's throats and making plays on tired D's.

#50 Biggs, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Running the ball and going over the top of a D isn't a throwback, it's solid football. The Ravens won the SB with that formula last year.

The Jets are a defensive team that relies on TOP and field position to win games. MM O is based on outscoring your opponent in a shoot out. It's not progressive and it certainly isn't the football philosophy of Rex Ryan. Andy Reid isn't using it in KC either. Rex doesn't have the luxury of MM developing Geno in this manner. Rex will be fired if MM continues to develop Geno this way.

#51 Biggs, Oct 1, 2013
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Great post never tought about it that way tbh

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Ravens called about 620 passes and 420 runs last year counting sacks and plays where Flacco scrambled off of a pass. Don't let that get in your way though.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Don't worry it won't. In Flacco's rookie year the Ravens went 11 and 5 and were number 1 in rushing attempts and no. 30 in passing attempts. The Ravens were forced to pass more last year and they had a developed starter in his 5th year who could do it.

The Ravens actually had a plan to develop Flacco into an NFL QB. Flacco is one of the best deep throwers in the league and it didn't hurt him to develop by throwing off play action with a well established running game. Geno isn't going to make it to year 5 in this system and either is Rex. There's a reason Rex wasn't the HC of the Ravens and there is a reason Tannenbaum is gone here. Rex is going to be next unless he shoves his foot up MM ass.

#54 Biggs, Oct 1, 2013
  15. Br4d

That's not what you said though. You said the Ravens ran the ball and threw it over the top to win a Super Bowl. That's just inaccurate. They had 200 passes more than runs last season and that's with Ray Rice starting all 16 games.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You aren't looking at the 4 game playoff run that actually won them a SB. You are looking at a very mediocre 10 and 6 wildcard playoff team that threw way more than they ran in 6 losses and had to come from behind several times.

Playoffs.

Indiana: 32 rushing attempts, 23 passing attempts
    NE: 33 Rushing attempts, 36 passing attempts
    Denver: 39 rushing attempts, 34 passing attempts
    SF: 35 Rushing attempts, 33 passing attempts.

They absolutely won the SB by running the ball and going over the top.

Stats are a fools game and I'm not using the stats to prove my point. What I see with the Jets is a team that is putting a rookie QB in position to make plays over and over again. This is on a team with a very solid D and what appears to be an OL built to push the D Line not to back up and pass protect.

What I see with the Ravens is a team that commits to the run and has a QB who can go deep anytime. The box is loaded the QB has a rocket arm and experience and he had big time weapons.

#56 Biggs, Oct 1, 2013
  17. Br4d

You're not counting sacks and you're counting Flacco's rushing attempts as runs when they actually were passes where he scrambled in most cases.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A sack isn't a rushing attempt. Flacco like all QB's does do designed runs. It's rare but he does them. The Ravens playoff record is a dead dog loser when they aren't balanced or run heavy.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Biggs & Brad, good back and forth you two. In a microcosm of this, and while hindsight is 20/20 since it resulted in an INT, one thing that I didn't get from MM was after getting a solid 4 1/2 yards on the 1st play from scrimmage deciding to immediately put the ball in the air and not try to negotiate some more real estate. If nothing else, it would've set up a safer 3rd and short to start the game vs. a 3rd and long in your own end (forget the 20/20 hindsight INT right off the bat).

At the same time, I'm also still trying to figure out how a non-prolific QB like Jack Locker drives 95+ yards for a TD...

Bottom line, this team's talent level is still in a state of flux. My question is, aside from MM's penchant for running a pass-happy offense (btw, will this work in cold, windy weather?...w/Geno's supposedly 'small mitts'?), is MM's WCO system at this stage in his career one that has pretty much been scouted in full and doesn't bring any innovation or surpise to the table?

Exactly what are we going to be offensively?

20. So I guess all those explosive offenses Morningweg ran in Philly don't count for anything??

I think you're getting too wrapped up in the label "WCO". Frankly, a traditional WCO doesn't go over the top nearly as much as we've seen this Jets O go & Philly do the last several years.

There are certainly strong elements of a traditional WCO within this system...but is no way is it pure short passing/horizontal passing lanes & finesse gap blocking.

We've seen this OL fire off the ball w/ power, we've seen plenty of 7 step drops & deep throws.

The offense is clearly a work in progress. The OL was rebuilt this offseason & further personnel changes should take place starting next offseason.