Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree. Not everything is black and white immediately. I don't see how the organization is "poorly run" just because they didn't make a snap decision.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ponder SUCKS. Watching him @ FSU, I still dont know why he got drafted where he did

JAGS: Sanchez, instant upgrade, but yes they're deep in the Tank for Teddy sweepstakes

Freeman: It's a push. they each have different issues

Bradford: agreed, but he's not living up to the hype either

Manuel: agreed, why change now?

Cleveland: who knows

OAK: agreed

Locker: I actually agree too, but most think he sucks. we'll see

Your premis in the last statement regarding the GM / draft is correct. The only place I see Sanchez fitting in, is on a decent team with a QB issue, but not in a place to draft a future QB. That or he gets on as a backup, then some how gets in due to injury (or the starter sucking) and regains 2010 form.
    Reality is, it's probably over. At least he can tell his kids he helped bounce Brady and Manning from the playoffs when they're inducted into the Hall. :shit:

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The man was damaged goods coming off a terrible year. Rumors were flying we would release him(and I think we would have had Garrard been healthy) so why would a team giving up multiple picks and adding revis' salary demands also take in Mark's contract?

Don't confuse completion % w/ accuracy.

the average Jet fan is a whiny excuse maker that just looks at stats to evaluate. Clearly no Jet fans have watched Josh Freeman if they think he is anywhere near as good as Mark.

mark on TB this year and they are going to the playoffs, Freeman on NYJ in '09/'10 and we don't win playoff games.

4. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Sanchez and Freeman are both below average (starting) quarterbacks. I'll leave it to others to debate who is better/worse.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Sanchez needs to sit behind an established QB for 2 years and watch and learn. At best he may be a stop gap while a team grooms a young QB.

So Sanchez is coming off a near historically bad season and yet you think he's "10000x better" than Freeman, does that make sense to you? If Sanchez was really better TB wouldn't mind adding him to their payroll.
    Because you don't agree that means Jets fans are whiny and makes excuses?

Believe me I'm not confusing completion % and accuracy.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You seem to continually denegrate, castigate and impugn Jets fans at every turn, as if they don't know anything about football. And now they are "whiney excuse makers?" That's what your opinion is of the average Jets fan?

Within this thread, that abuse has intensified, and it's quite obvious why. The most important thing on your daily agenda is to defend the defenseless, even if it means now that you denegrate and impugn other Jets fans for their opinions. Quite sad, really, that you put your Sanchez agenda above other Jets fans.

7. TB284

TB284 New Member

I tend to agree that Ponder is a bum, and will probably be replaced sometime during this season. He was much better than Sanchez last year, but there were obviously mitigating circumstances, as has been mentioned. Locker is a mess, I don't think its too early at all to say that. Of all the guys mentioned, I'd say only Bradford is better than Sanchez, and we'll probably know definitively whether or not that's the case after this season.

The main knock on Sanchez, by my estimation, is his performance when pressured. Looking at absolute numbers when a guy has a clean pocket or when a guy is pressured is fine, but that's severely tainted by the skill of the players around him; looking at how big of a drop-off there is between the two situations is pretty telling, to me. I don't think Freeman is a good quarterback by any means, but he sees one of the smallest drop-offs in overall production when pressured in the NFL, per Footballoutsiders. If everything was equal (teammates, conditions, opponents, etc.), I think his baseline is lower than Sanchez', but the data suggests he's less likely to make a catastrophic mistake under pressure.

Which is better, then? Neither situation is ideal, obviously, but hiding pressure problems through scheme or offensive line talent is a lot easier than hiding someone just not being a very good quarterback. I'm far from a Sanchez apologist, but the numbers (the ones I tend to put faith into, at least) tell me that Sanchez isn't nearly as bad of a quarterback as people paint him to be. I don't care about playoff wins or 4th quarter comebacks, those things are all tainted by perception and selection-bias. Overall performance, on a snap-by-snap basis, tells me that Sanchez could easily be a league average, or slightly above, quarterback if given really good circumstances; I'm glad the Jets are moving on, because I think Smith's ceiling is considerably higher than that, but anyone mentioned other than St. Louis or the Jacksonville/Oakland winner of the Bridgewater sweepstakes would get an upgrade over their current situation with Sanchez on a team-friendly "prove something" contract. Of course, teams that are that bad probably aren't going to provide the circumstances needed to make Sanchez successful, but that was never the point here.

EDIT: I should add the Bills to that list; not that I necessarily think Manuel is going to be great, but its obviously too early to tell, and as a rookie his contract is way too friendly to mess around with.

#16747 TB284, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. nyjunc

Freeman's 2011 season was WORSE than mark's 2012 and he did it w/ actual talent around him unlike Mark.

it's basic common football sense, TB was not adding that salary to their books when they though he could be released anyway and had to pay Revis and give up multiple picks.

9. nyjunc

I've been to just about every game in the last 25 years, I've been on boards for the last decade plus. I don't think all Jet fans are dumb but the vocal minority sure are and they embarrass the fanbase. Fans that just cite #s w/o context have no idea what they are talking about, any fan that think Freeman is better than Mark clearly has never watched Freeman play outside of highlights.

I am tired of our nitwit "fans" that want to get a new HC/QB every 2-3 years. It's annoying and it's why we don't win big consistently.

10. The 1985er

Freeman 2011

3592 yards, 62% completion, 16 TD's, 22 INT's

Sanchez 2012

2883 yards, 54% completion, 13 TD's, 18 INT's

11. nyjunc

Freeman 4 wins
    Sanchez 6

Freeman 27 TOs
    Sanchez 26

Freeman had Blount/Graham average 4.5 YPC
    Sanchez had Greene/Powell average 3.9

Freeman had Mike Williams and Kellen Winslow for 16 games
    Sanchez had Kerley as his #1 WR and Chaz Schilens starting

we were expected to be bad in 2012 even before all the injuries yet we were alive for postseason in dec, TB was expected to be a playoff contender and many had them picked to make it and they never competed.

12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Winslow was not on Tampa Bay last season.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

His post isn't stupid, the Jets did handle this situation very poorly.

It's obvious they knew he was going to be out for quite some time - by bringing in harrell, Quinn, etc. Sanchez got a second opinion on his own, the team has known his situation for awhile. Idzik and Rex's comments about how they know they couldn't keep this many QBs and that a solution will come quick, etc.

Between playing him initially in that preseason game and the heat Rex got for that, and Woody's stupid ass comments in the aftermath, It's almost as if they were playing damage control - worrying about how the situation looks, and protecting their (and Rex's) image, by delaying things. That's the kind of thing a poorly run franchise does.

Most organizations place an injured player on the IR as soon as they know he's injured. Move on for both players sake and wish him well. If Sanchez played in Pittsburgh or something - he'd been IR'ed by the next Monday after that preseason game. The Jets did a similar thing last year with Revis as well - however this was worse.

14. nyjunc

I was comparing Freeman's disastrous 2011 season vs. Mark's disastrous 2012 season.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Anyone who has watched Sanchez over the years knows he's dreadfully inaccurate in short to medium range. He is above average on the deep ball in terms of accuracy, but I suspect that's largely because teams stacked the box against the ground and pound focused offense (aka they really didn't fear Sanchez much).

The rest of everything you said is pure Fantasy conjecture

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Don't we wait and see how Geno pans out before we dump Sanchez? Geno perfprmed decent with a dumbed down play book and conservative plan but we need to see more.

17. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

The Bucs also had arguably the worst defense in the league that season and their offensive rushing yards per game was bottom 3. Blount has proven nothing but mediocre (at best) since his rookie year and Graham played in 7 games that year. Like I said, both quarterbacks are below average starters. I wouldn't say one is significantly better or worse than the other.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When Sanchez goes on IR can we lock the thread until his next snap with the Jets? This thread will go to the NFL forum once he's in the rear view mirror. There's really no point in having it be the main thread in the Jets forum for the next year with Sanchez on IR.

19. The 1985er

"wins" are a team stat. they both had 27 to's. We can only judge them individually. Freeman's 2011 season was historically bad, can't say the same for Sanchez.

20. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Really? You don't think they would've taken on that salary for a guy that's 1000x better than what they have now?

It seems to me that the Sanchez supporters thought he would be having his big comeback year as the Jets starter, so why would you think that the Bucs would pass him over in the Revis trade in the hope that he might be released somewhere down the line? I don't see the logic there.

The fact is, they didn't think he was enough of an upgrade over Freeman to take him. Sure, he has an inflated salary, but I'm sure if they really wanted him and agreed that he was so far superior to Freeman, they would have found a way to make it happen. They didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.