Is it possilbe to win with Rex in the long term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Sep 11, 2013.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

In the modern NFL the most important person in a football organization is the HC. I would trade ANY player for a great HC. Great HC's are rare. They are as rare as great QBs. Great HCs make their players great. Great players often leave great HC's and are not great anymore because great HC's know how to get them most for each guy on the roster.

With that said, I don't think Rex is a great coach and I have said in the past that I have wanted him gone. I believe Rex lacks several qualities to be a well rounded HC including, but not limited to:
    1. He offers very little on offensive side of the ball
    2. He gets attached to his players and has a hard time letting them go despite having other options to develop talent
    3.He is too soft on guys who need a firm hand.
    4. He is not a good game manager
    5. He is impulsive and his mouth attracts negative attention to the organization
    6. He has lost the team at times.

On the other hand:
    1.He is an incredible defensive mind and will put out a top 5-10 defensive consistently even without a stable of superstar players
    2. The players like him and will play hard for him
    3. Players will come here in free agency
    4. He is a good game planner can effectively adjust.

So the question now becomes, can we win with Rex and can we do it in the long term. Despite his cons, it is not easy to have a top 10 or better defense and you are pretty much guaranteed this with Rex. This a mostly a necessity if you want to seriously compete for a championship.

As non conventional as it seems I think Woody sought to solve/bolster some of Rex's weaknesses with the off-season moves. First, I have said in the past that if Rex's OC was equivalent to him we would be very tough to beat. I don't know if morningwood is that guy but he has presided over top 10 offensives and I think it is fair to call him a legit OC which is the first time we have seen this in the Rex era.

The second improvement Woody made was Idzik. His ablity to bring talent to the team still an open question but he has certainly put the clamps down on Rex in a variety of ways that were necessary. Rex is more conservative in his meetings, he is still Rex but not as over the top and more professional. Idzik has also instilled a competition mantra which by default opposes Rex's player loyalty problem, additionally I think Idzik will apply pressure to Rex and players in this regard. We needed some enforcement and accountability and I believe Idzik improves this this aspect. It is too early to know this for sure but if we see guys getting benched for poor performance then we will know for sure.

The only other thing I would like to see is some in game management help. A Dick Curl type guy.

Overall, I don't think Rex at least at this point is a complete HC. However i am wondering with his defensive talents and the right supporting cast if we can't get him there. Barring injuries, and assuming solid QB play (which is a great unknown) I believe the Jets will exceed expectation this year. Moving forward and assuming good QB play it might be possible for the Jets to make the most of Rex.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id trade any great HC for a great QB. IMO QBs are the most important person in an organization. Give me Tom Brady any day over BB.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rex did solve the quarterback situation...

So there's that.

4. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think we can win with Rex. Having a very good defense is a huge advantage- if you don't have a great QB, you can still do alright with a great defense. Obviously a great QB trumps all, but it's the hardest thing to get since you either need an early first round pick and hope it works out (which it usually doesn't), or hope someone trades you a Drew Brees, or hope some scrub turns out to be Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, or Tony Romo (he has good stats even though nobody thinks he's a good QB except his mom, Jerry Jones, and me.)

If the Jets can get solid/decent QB play without many turnovers, the team will be very good and make the playoffs consistently. The problem was always turnovers, and even though Sanchez wasn't the most accurate QB, didn't have the biggest arm, etc, if he didn't turn the ball over so often he would have been good enough. If he'd been like, 12 turnovers a year instead of 26, he'd probably have been good enough.

Without Rex, we would be a majorly struggling team because our defense would not be all that great, and then we would win or lose mostly based on QB play, without having that defensive cushion to give us the ability to win games even when the offense can only score ~20 points.

5. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

The bottom line is yes. If a coach is good enough to make the playoffs a few times, especially with a questionable QB, then if they get the right QB they can win in the playoffs. There are always the coach's like the Norv Turners and the Jason Garrets and Wade Phillips who aren't HC material and their teams choke. But Rex has shown that he can coach a team if given the right tools. The most important tool of all is QB.

6. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

BB was great with Matt Cassel and you saw how that turned out. Would you take Flacco or Kaepernick over BB too? Would you take Simms or Hostetler over Parcells? QBs are important but HCs more so in my opinion.

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

yes

/thread

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It seems pretty obvious to me that the Jets would be very difficult to beat with Rex as a coach if they had a good offense.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

we just need to get the offense on the same level as the D

Rex will improve over time, hopefully

my real question is Marty, Philly fans warned us about trick plays on third down and the lack of a run game

I dont think Marty will stick but then that becomes 4 OC's during his tenure

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

any subsequent point became irrelevant after this point. Bill Walsh sure was known as a defensive genius, right? too old school for you? how about Super Bowl winning coach of the Packers Mike McCarthy. sure brings a lot to the defensive side of the ball, huh?

or how about the other side of the ball. Mike Tomlin sure is regarded as an offensive innovator as a head coach, huh?

the idea that Rex has to offer anything to the offense is asinine, beyond simply having an offensive philosophy that can be effective and leading his offensive coordinator in a way that makes that coordinator successful at what the offensive coordinators job is -- to run the offense.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Rex supporter by any stretch and have stated my desire for him to be shown the door.
    I am really not sure about Rex being able to take this team all the way for the simple reason that with Rex there is no accountability.
    I think the addition of Mornhinweg, a legitimate OC who is in charge of the offense, obviously a side of the ball Rex hasn't a clue about, is vital.
    I just don't think Rex' style of being everyone's buddy works.

I think you need a tough coach, one that is going to lead by example, the RIGHT example.
    You need a guy that players know, "if I don't tow the line it'll be my ass",and not a coach who is the lead clown in the circus.
    I realize Rex has been more contrite lately but i'm still not sure about the accountability factor. I think that's a major problem with Rex.
    As long as things are good he's a great coach but when the wheels start to fall off he hasn't shown the ability to right the ship.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

BB was on his way down the norv turner career path before he got lucky and had a h.o.f. qb fall in his lap.
    parcells was pretty much a different era, i don't know how much you can compare his record to todays n.f.l. I think the qb makes the coach today as much or more than the coach makes the qb.
    as to a few other points the o.p. suggests,
    players won't come here for rex. they will follow the money, if the money is even than maybe rex gives us and edge but even than i doubt it. money location and than coach
    "rex doesn't offer anything offensively" i hate this critique. sean payton is the defacto o.c. for the saints but no one gets on him for being one dimensional. his offenses are just as good as rex's D but rex is a handicap and payton is great. the only difference between payton and rex is payton has a qb. which brings me back to my original point.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

1. who cares? isn't that what he has an OC for? no-one is great at everything
    2. examples being? what great players have we passed up for the sake of players already here? Sanchez is a terrible example as there were no top QBs available to us during his time here
    3. Such as? I am pretty sure Rex knows more about man management and how to motivate and deal with players than anyone on this board
    4. too subjective - people only focus on the negatives and ignore the positives
    5. true - but I am past caring about that - if it doesn't bother him or the players we shouldn't let it bother us
    6. how much of this is true and how much yet another media led myth?

Give Rex a top tier QB and he would be as successful as any coach in the NFL.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Coaches don't achieve greatness unless they have great players. However, great players don't guarantee a great coach. They both bring out the best in each other. Unfortunately patience is very short in this league. It's common for NFL coaches to hired & fired without getting the chance to work with a talented roster.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's 4-2 in the playoffs on the road, so yeah, I'd say it's definitely possible to win with Rex in the longterm. He's been a winner for half his tenure with the Jets and has an overall winning record. Technically we have been winning with him, so I see no reason why it would stop. He had ONE losing season with multiple major injuries to our best players. I'm not worried. I hope they extend him asap.

#15 Barcs, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rex and Mornhinweg for the next 10 years. We can win it all with those 2. Karl Dunbar developing the defensive lineman. This is the best coaching we've had since Parcells came to town.

17. lamont_jordan_rules

lol

... agree that rex certainly can be the long-term answer.

1(offense) & 2 (personnel) are his greatest weakinesses

the FO has effectively removed rex from being the final word on these two with Idzik & MM coming in.

Together this may be a winning trifecta!!!

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

His players are generally passionate and motivated, and he runs a fantastic defense year in and year out. Yes, we can win with Rex.

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Remains to be seen, but sort of in spite of himself. He was still on Team Sanchez prior to the injury. Even now, he won't name Geno the long-term starter.

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I would add that anything is possible.