2013 Week 2 - New York Jets @ New England Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

Agreed. I'd take the points, and I'm a Pats fan. Right now, they should be 3pt fave at best, at least until they can prove they have somebody reliable for Brady to target.

2. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

That's a very big deal considering they also lost Vereen as well. Too bad we let go of Tebow. He could have run the Wildcat or the Wishbone.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Hey I think he's still available!

4. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

COME ON JETS, Button those chin straps and pin your ears back, Its open season on Brady. Has anyone heard anything on Quinton Coples. Damn wish he was in for this game.

#164 4jetfans, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Vereen, Gronk, and now Amendola out?

NEED to take full advantage and walk out with a W.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Patriots are missing pretty much every offensive playmaker not named Brady and aren't going to bother to practice for the Jets game. I mean, really? I get they probably did some Jets stuff last week, but with a bunch of unknowns playing offensive skill positions you'd think they'd want some extra reps.

I'm sure this will somehow be spun by the media into Belichick is a genius. The Jets need to slap these fuckers in the mouth now. Fuck them.

7. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Of course if the Jet's lose...

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Hell, Geno got lambasted for not studying tape on Revis. One player. A guy who we knew probably wasn't going to play every snap, who lots of guys in the organization know about and could tell him directly and that they generally game planned to avoid throwing in his direction entirely.

Yet the Patriots come off a shaky win against a crappy team and limp into a game on a short break with a bunch of inexperienced players and they don't even have a practice and nobody bats an eye.

I already wanted to win the game, obviously, but it would make it so much sweeter if the Patriots-loving media started to question their decision not to practice if we take home the W.

9. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The Patriot defense knows that the offense has been carrying them for a few years now and people like Wilfork are saying they want to prove they can "win games" too.

This might be that game.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The Pats are the team to beat, at least in the division and will remain that way until they are consistently beaten. Losing the Div title twice out of 13 years makes them the target.

I don't care who isn't doing what on the Pats - they have the cache to forgo practicing. They Jets do not.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If they lose they were supposed to lose. 14 point dogs on the road. The Jets are supposed to be the worst team in the history of football or something like that this year aren't they? Sprinkle in a little circus circus circus and bang you have yourself an article.

12. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Yeah it will be the SOJ I guess. Although it does seem like a lost opportunity.

Is Mangold going to play?

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I assume so. He came back in the game and practiced today.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that the Patriots will be without Gronkowski, Vereen and Amendola. This, after just squeaking by Buffalo 23-21, who also was starting a rookie QB. At the very least, as I posted earlier, the spread is ridiculous.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The Patriots' spread is usually pretty big, I think especially since the Patriots like to run up the score, and they've been the most consistent AFC team for 10+ years. As the oddsmaker, you want the initial odds to be where you think half will bet on each team, because you lose money when you have to adjust the odds a lot. If they started it at like +7.5 for the Pats, maybe 80% of the bettors would be taking the Patriots and they'd be exposed to big losses if the Pats covered the spread.

The goal is just to set whatever odds you need in order to get 50% of the gambling money bet on each side. If you can do that, the fact that you only pay out like 90% or whatever guarantees the house a sizable profit. But if you're off, and have to adjust the odds significantly because too many people are betting on one team, then the profits go down and it could actually turn into a loss if you don't get enough bets on the other side.

So many Pats fans just bet on the Pats without really caring about the odds, that that money pushes up the odds. To attract more people to bet against the Pats, they have to widen the spread even beyond what would normally make sense for another team of similar caliber.

I think the Jets have a solid chance of winning this game, especially since Amendola and Vereen are out, and so is Gronkowski, and also the Patriots are apparently not practicing for the game. Maybe they feel like the Bills defense was close enough to be practice for the Jets.

On the other hand, Rex had a chance to watch that tape as well, so he knows what did and didn't work, and can adjust his plans accordingly towards whatever he thinks will give the Patriots the most trouble. If the front guys are able to shut down the run and pressure Brady up the middle, and Cro' does a good job covering Edelman, the Jets will have a great chance to win the game as long as the Jets offense does not have a multi-turnover game.

16. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

SUN, SEP 8 HI PASSING HI RUSHING HI RECEIVING
    New England 23, Buffalo 21 Brady 288 Vereen 101 Amendola 104
    2 of those out

17. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Not sure if its been mentioned already (I just dont have time to read through 175 posts), but if I were D coordinator, I would go 4-3 most of the game.

The D-line would be; Wilkerson - K. Ellis - Snacks - Richardson

I'd play mostly to stop the run & get as much pressure on Brady as possible (past 4-3 D success vs Brady). Would love to see the beef upfront. Plus, - most of Brady's past receiving corp weapons are gone (Welker / Hernandez) or absent (Amendola / Gronk). Cro, Millner & Wilson would be enough to cover the likes of Edelman, Thompkins & whoever else.

Its just that we dont have another quick OLB to match D. Davis on the other side.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So much for Brady not having any weapons Thursday :sad:

Kristian Dyer ‏@KristianRDyer 58s
    Patriots have signed former Jets TE Matt Mulligan.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL! Mulligan! Must be because Sudfeld hurt his hamstring.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Jets need to do exactly one thing to witn this game.

Put the CBs in press coverage, as soon as the offensive line sets, move one sodestep to the middle, and get ready to force receivers outsode.

Physically take away the slant, and let the DL do the rest.

Brady does not play putsode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.