NY Jets Twitter: Geno Starting Week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 4, 2013.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

How many pro NFL games is this based off of?

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

When Geno makes that dumb rookie mistake, and believe me he will make a few,
    Many are going to start bitching and whining but you need to just Chill the fk out.

For a rookie QB the biggest challenge how how quickly they learn to not make the same mistake and also not think he has to make a play on every attempt.

What we need is an epic defensive effort to keep us in it and hopefully limit our mistakes especially @ QB.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its not new. I've heard people say Geno is an Run First QB ala Newton, RG3, Vick when the guy is definitely pass first

I do think Geno catches some flack because of his skin color but I don't know if Mexicanjet was trying to be racist. He's jumping the gun with what he's saying absolutely and sounds pessimistic but racist? I don't know.

4. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

C'mon. It's 2013, not fucking 1950. I'm fucking Mexican for christsake. I've been subject to plenty of racism in my life. This isn't a race thing and to even think that is just looking to start shit.

I never said he was a run first qb. I never was really impressed with what I saw from him at WV. THAT's why I was against this whole thing. Like I said, I will be there Sunday and be rooting for the JETS. No matter who is at qb, but I don't think Geno is the future and won't be shocked if/when he doesn't work out at an nfl qb.

5. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

based smith

9-7 season on deck

6. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Wans't being racist. Here is the article I was thinking of, didn't seem like it was racist:
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013gsmith.php

"Player Comparison: Donovan McNabb. Smith is a poor-man's version of McNabb. Both are West Coast quarterbacks who mix a strong arm with mobility. Smith won't be selected as high as McNabb was, second-overall in 1999. McNabb (6-2, 240) is the same height as Smith and the West Virginia product will probably gain some weight in the NFL. McNabb had decent, but not good, accuracy, and it wouldn't be at all surprising if Smith produces a better completion percentage in the NFL. Smith may not win as much as McNabb did, but if Smith pans out, he could be a quarterback similar to McNabb. "

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You should compare him to players whose game is similar to his. You chose black QBs whose games and skills weren't comparable. They were just black.

#127 abyzmul, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The comparison I see in terms of overall ability is still Chad Pennington.

They both came out of the hills of West Virginia. They both played very well in offensive systems designed to rack up a lot of points. They both had outstanding pieces around them in the offense that they got the most out of.

Geno's got a stronger arm. Chad had better mechanics. They're still very similar in terms of overall potential. The Jets had no idea if they had an NFL QB going into Chad's third season in 2002. He looked good in practice but he didn't have everything you wanted in an NFL QB and so they kept Vinny even as he aged out.

If the Jets had Mark Sanchez at QB going into the 2000 season Chad starts as a rookie.

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Geno is gonna get blitzed often. The only thing he has got going for him is nobody knows how to plan for him. If he can manage the game properly and look for the one on one down field when they blitz he could have an encouraging day. Take a few sacks don't react pass when you have guys coming to get you. They will key on the run also so screens will be effective. Could be an entertaining day if the defense can give him a short field.

There's your game winning plan.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

LOL.

Geno didn't run the WCO at WVU and McNabb didn't run the WCO at Syracuse--he was a modified sprint option QB.

Smith was an extremely accurate passer at WVU and typically only ran when flushed out.

McNabb was a relatively inaccurate passer but a beast of a runner--many of his plays were designed runs. His run/pass ration was about 40/60. Scored 20 TDs on the ground--Geno scored 4.

To put Geno and McNabb in the same paragraph is silly.

And I loved McNabb at Syracuse.

_

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I don't agree with that comparison at all.

Maybe the word racist was a little strong. I hate the stereotypical things that the media says about black QBs, that all they do is run. We've had players like Garrard, Warren Moon play quarterback in the NFL that used their arms more than anything else. In my opinion, Geno doesn't even prefer to run he would rather sit in the pocket and throw.

I think you made some awful comparisons - again saying "racist" was prob a little too strong and that's on me. I'm black, and I cannot stand when scouts compare a black QB to another black QB when they don't even share the same skill-set. It just irks me. My comparison again, I agree with NFL.com n saying he's comparable to Sam Bradford

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pennington and Bradford are very much similar. Intelligent, can put up points, and are very accurate.

Geno shares some of the same traits.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'll sign up for Chad right now.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well at least your "Jets will start 2-0" prediction is still alive. Anything else we need to bump today?

15. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Eventually, he is bound to get something right...

Throws so much shit against the wall...:rofl2:

16. Wvujetsfan

Wvujetsfan New Member

See post below

17. Wvujetsfan

Wvujetsfan New Member

Totally agree. Geno can run a little but has no wiggle.