Is Derek Jeter the MVP of the American League?

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, Sep 14, 2006.

?

Is Derek Jeter the AL MVP?

1. Yes

62.7%
  2. No

37.3%
  1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

What nonsense? Sanchez has taken a bit of a tumble in September but they've had comparable seasons. They're both at/near the top of their respective leagues in BA and not much else.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Easy, most of those players with great individual years are on losing teams, Ortiz was the runaway MVP favorite until the heart problem and Boston's collapse. Now this race is between players who is only in it because their team is great more than how good of a year this is, and do you think that anyone in this crop this year would have been even in the discussion last year? I think not, and stop trying to spew anti-NL crap when it wasn't brought into the discussion or has anything to do with the topic

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Look at the #s of the 2, outside of BA they aren't very cloe in anything else. That's like saying Bill Hall is having as good a year as David Wright(Hall is alot closer to Wright #s wise than Sanches is to Jeter).

4. nyjunc

It wasn't brought into the discussion? Then what the heck is the post below?

Ortiz was the favorite but not a runaway favorite, there was ALOT of season loeft when he was the favorite and he cooled off and had physical problems and his team dropepd out of the race. The players in the race are all deserving of consideration for the MVP in a MUCH tougher league to put up #s like they have.

5. ButchWalker

ButchWalker New Member

Jermaine Dye has been impressive this year. He gets my vote.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

Let's just be clear on something junc. You accept the fact that Hafner is a much much better hitter and player then Jeter, right? Just say that you believe the MVP should be determined more by "intangibles" and your teams overall performance then who is actually the best player in the league and I won't comment on this again.

7. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

This will be a makeup MVP for letting that scrub, no talent Arod win one last year.

Everyone knows Jeter is so much better then Arod.

8. nyjunc

of course more goes into it than just #s and we all know Jeter is more thana #s player which is what makes him better than a guy like ARod who puts up superior #s.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

What more then numbers goes into it? If whatever Jeter has that A-Rod doesn't you have to be able to quantify it to say that it makes him better then A-Rod despite the numbers. Of course, I asked about Hafner and not A-Rod.

10. nyjunc

Making plays when your team needs you, we saw what happened to ARod this year when we needed him most after all our key injuries. He was terrible while jeter stepped up. All the clutch hits, defensive plays and baserunning through the years make him better. I THOUGHT ARod was better until I got to watch him on a daily basis and realize that alot of his "great #s" are #s accumulated in maningless situations.

Hafner has had a great year playing w/ zero pressure. Playing w/ no pressure is alot easier- just ask ARod.

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

So you've got nothing but nebulous buzzwords, select anecdotal evidence and baseless speculation about production in "meaningless situations", that's what I thought. What exactly is a clutch hit or situation junc? We know from past discussions that you're the absolute authority on this and what you say goes, so can you please give a concrete definition so we can follow it in the future? If Jeter is so clutch and only thrives in big time spots why can't he do it with "no pressure" or in "meaingless situations"? Maybe Hafner would have a 1.300 OPS if his clutch drive was allowed to kick in.

Why not save the keystrokes in the future junc and just declare what you think and not bother with the rest of this song and dance?

12. nyjunc

I just know if jeter was a Met that Met fans would be singing a different tune. The game isn't all about #s, you made the mistake w/ Culpepper too. he puts up great #s but folds in crunchtime- very ARod like. #s play a part but do not end all discussions, there is more to a great player than just #s- to me it's more important when those #s occur.

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

Typical response, telling other people how they would/should feel and then an abrupt attempt at a change in topic. I'm not taking the bait.

14. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

yes, yes he is

15. nyjunc

Whatever:rolleyes:

By the way, you ignored my Wright-Hall example after your insane Jeter-Sanchez example.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

At this point I've learned not to respond to your inane attempts to steer discussions off course. I don't know if you chose such a horrible example for the express purpose of derailing the discussion, but it seems likely given that Hall and Wright are nothing alike as hitters. Maybe Garrett Atkins was the name you were looking for?

17. nyjunc

They have similar #s, closer than Jeter and Sanchez. I don't think Hall compares to Wright but I'm using your logic here which says they are close if you think jeter and Sanchez are close.

How was I steering it off course? You posted an asinine comparison and I posted another one for you. it's on topic.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

We've established that your comparison was asinine, however you've done nothing to refute mine other then offer said asinine comparison. Jeter and Sanchez are very similar hitters this year. Obviously Jeter is the better player due to the walks but they are very much the same "type" of hitter.

19. nyjunc

The only category jeter and sanchez are close is BA. jeter has more than double sanchez's HRs, has 14 more RBi, 26 more runs scored, his OBP is 46 pts higher, his OPS is 62 pts higher and jeter has stolen 30 bases compared to just 2 for Sanchez- yeah they are almost identical :rolleyes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/playercompare?sort=22&pids[5406]=1&pids[6999]=1

meanwhile hall has 7 more HRs in 46 less ABs, that's 1 more category he leads over Wright than sanchez over Jeter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/playercompare?sort=6&cat=Batting&pids[6992]=1&pids[7382]=1

20. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Jeter is a product of his lineup.