Jets #1 Problem...Talent Evaluation....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Talent evaluation has been an issue for the Jets since 2001. It's not that they haven't gotten productive players out of the draft with some regularity. It's that they've gotten very few star caliber players and they've spent a lot of resources trying to trade up for stars and getting solid players instead.

They've signed a bunch of free agents also over that span and have not come up with a single star player in the process. Again, they've paid for stars and gotten solid players instead.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

That list makes me want to cry.

3. lustig

lustig Member

I agree, I always have that feeling that when the patriots would draft the same player, he would be a lot better

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

sums it up in the proverbial nutshell. thnks

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

By comparison, 2011 is looking mighty good.

Well, let's hope 2013 outshines all of those years.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we've been one of the better AFC teams since 1997- that is a LONG time. How did we do it if we were poor at evaluating talent?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not the case, the Patriots aren't as good in the drafting department. At least they aren't as good as you indicated here. They have drafted countless busts in the past. From WRs to RBs. They struck gold with Gronk other than that you got Ridley and that's it.

Brady has kept that team afloat despite poor drafting.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The whole league has this problem. The Jets are no different. I'd say they have been middle of the pack in talent evaluation the past decade.

Don't want to derail the discussion, but the real problem has been QB play. Guys like Jeff Cumberland for example would put up Dallas Clark numbers with a good QB. Not much difference at all in talent there. A Jeremy Kerley looks like Wes Welker with a good QB, etc.

Since QB is part of evaluating talent, they deserve their fair share of criticism, but overall they've been at least capable at evaluating talent.

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

When you reference 2011 - dont forget the 2nd rounder was traded to San Diego for Cromartie (I'd do it again) & 5th rounder Kerley. First solid draft we've had in years.

Stretch of bad drafting all points back straight to Tannebaum AND REX. Dont kid yourself, --- our boy was plenty involved with those picks.

2010 pisses me off more than anything. We already had Cro & Revis on the roster & then we pick Kyle Wilson. The Vlad Ducasse selection was nothing more than Tanny telling Alan Fanece to go f--k himself. Cap it off with the McKnight pick even those we already had Danny Woodhead on the roster (yes, - I mentioned that again) and then Rex's favorite ---- THE TERMINATOR JOHN CONNOR.

Tanny's wheeling & dealing included a 3rd round traded for Braylon Edwards (I'm actually OK with that). Sprinkle in a wasted 4th for Lito Shepard & his 1 year with the team and a 5th rounder for Santonio Holmes (worth it as it was only a 5th rounder, but oh ---- the grief).

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Wow good to see there is a least another NYJ fan out there that is not in denial. What U posted about us actually goes back to the 70s forward sorry to say. Kensil was probably the worst of the GMs we had from the 70s onwards & he was also the longest service so he able to do the most damage :sad:

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That 2010 draft pissed me off. They claim that they take "the best player available" but were these guys really the best player available?

12. jilozzo

but we did have a few good drafts in the later 70's that allowed us some success in the early 80's.

not steeler like but good enough to land people like klecko, mehl, lyons, etc etc

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Tanny and Rex were smoking crack the night they came up with that draft board. One of the worst drafts in recent history. Not one hit on a player.

None of those players were worthy of that draft position.

14. jilozzo

true - i guess one could hope that 2011 was an inflection for the draft and only time will tell.

for that to be the case i guess wilk has to become all pro and kerley will have to attain #2 receiver status.

its unfortunate cause i do think kerley can be good - and outplay his initial draft slot significantly. not sure about 1000 yards but with the right QB.

if that occurs u have to call 2011 a success.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

IMHO maybe besides JK the players U mentioned were just average to maybe a tad above average. MHO is the NYJs have cheaped out on the R & D dept since the 70s since at no time since have we been a super elite team with game changing players like we had in 68 :sad:

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 4th and 6th (plus a few $M) for Tebow. Way to go Tanny!

17. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying this? Do they not research or just spew the crap from misinformed / lazy douche writers who'll pot-shot the Jets on any given chance?

18. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

You guys seem to have forgotten that Idzik himself knows he's not exactly an Ozzie Newsome/Trent Baalke when it comes to talent evaluation. That why Rod Graves was hired into our front office. Idzik, while still with final say, will be leaning heavily on Graves and his word in regards to talent from here on out so Idzik can continue to do what he does best and be a "paper/pencil" type of GM

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That probably accounts for a rough 95% of the posters that say it.

Then there's the other 5%, who are insincere and fictional troll accounts, like the OP, who start a dozen threads in a week and then disappear for a month or more.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So our future drafts will be heavily influenced by Rod fucking Graves

Yeah fuck us

How about getting a real talent evaluator to be your #2 Johnny

Someone from Seattle not your butt buddy from Arizona