Mangini on 1050

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by baamf, Sep 14, 2006.

1. baamf

baamf Active Member

FYI. They just stated that he will be on live with Mike and Mike in about 30 minutes. Tune in live from your pc now....

http://www.1050espnradio.com/

If I can I'll provide updates for those who can't connect.

2. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

He will be on at 9:44 am

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

To Recap:

1. Satisfied with victory
    2. Happy with Mangold and Ferg.
    3. Chad's success is a function of his work ethic. Chad will be at camp late a lot of times and comes into Mangini's off ice to talk about a play or a coverage.
    4. How is he handling the expectation that this team is pretty good? We do what is necessary to prepare for each opponent individually. Team aproach first and productivity second.
    5. Did he celebrate last Sunday? Had pie and ice cream with famiy (my aside: If the Jets have a great year he may double in size).
    6. Is he looking forward to Playing BB? Yes, it is exciting, but he is approaching the game like he would any other oponent.

That is pretty much it, unless I missed something.

4. baamf

baamf Active Member

Thanks Hornet. Someone called me right during the interview so I was only half listening, he definitely sounds like he is starting to warm up to the press though. I even heard him joking around with them at the end saying something like "You guys should be my PR agents". Good to hear....

5. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

And the running game is week by week, drive by drive, play by play.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Great recap except you missed his remarks concerning what he wanted in his players

7. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

What does he want his his players? Knowing Tannenbaum and Mangini interviews, I'm guessing smart and tough???

8. ButchWalker

ButchWalker New Member

Did he discuss the running game or kicking game at all???

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

True but, we have heard the quote before. Smart, tough, selfless, hard working, etc. All good though.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Kicking did not come up surprisingly. He said he designs the running attack around each opponent individually. A running back by committee will be used with each person's role and time on field varying week to week. I think he is really trying to say, noone has distinguished themselves enough yet, for him to change what he is doing.

I would expect to see a lot more Barlow this weekend.

11. Phyr

Phyr Member

The more plays he learns the more we will see him.

12. Sean_in_titletown

Living up here in Boston I spend quite a bit of time commuting home from work in my car and listening to ESPN Radio out of Boston.. Anyways, there's a great show on M-F called the Mike Fleger show (he's a former Patriots beat writer). Every tuesday he has Patriots punter Josh Miller in the studio to co-host. Miller is an absolute riot. He's one of those guys that you just can't help but laugh every time he speaks. (you'll have to take my word for it). The great thing about Miller is that he speaks very frankly about the inner workings of the lockerroom and the behind the scenes stuff. ANYWAYS, this week has been all about Mangini/Belichick as you can imagine. Well, Miller insists that Mangini is truly one of the funniest peope he's ever met. He said that the two became very close friends over the last couple of years. I find this a bit surprising given his demeanor thus far as Jets coach. I wonder if he's forcing himself into this Belichick personna until he develops a mutual respect with his players. Perhaps then, this great personality may emerge to the players and media alike. I'll be very interested to see how this unfolds.

13. baamf

baamf Active Member

Interesting. I agree he came in as a hard ass to get everyones attention and to let them know the country club atmosphere is gone. I think once he figures out who his guys are and gets a good pulse of the team we'll see a transition to a more accessible persona, albeit he will never venture towards the Edwards realm. I too am interested to see how it unfolds....

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Some of Mangini's lines to the press have been outstanding. Loved the one about his kids showing the qualities he was looking for in a team player. :)

15. lightning

lightning Active Member

Just because he's a hard ass doesn't mean he can't be funny behind the cameras.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mangini can be a pretty funny guy, but his humor is a little dry and most of the time the press is gritting their teeth too hard to laugh at some of his jests. His pressers will be much more entertaining than Belichick's, although he'll never be Herm. Which is a good thing.

17. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I like the guy. Being a Christian,,,but not intending to bring religion into this site,,,,during the middle of his press conference,,,someone sneezed....and he took the time to say "God bless you".....

18. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

His press conference was hilarious. First he was in the middle of speaking and someone sneezed and just like it was in the middle of his speach he said "god bless you" and kept on talking. Im not really sure why i thought that was so funny, but i started cracking up. But something that was actually funny later on was when the press talked about the home field advantage of Giants Stadium. Then someone said does it take away from the home field advantage that the stadium was called Giants Stadium instead of Jets Stadium. Mangini responded by saying no when the stadium is loaded with Jets fans it doesnt really matter, and i dont mean loaded Jets fans.

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Thats good to hear from Mangini.