ESPN Blast: Tebow to sign with Patriots

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Don, Jun 10, 2013.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You just don't get it. BB will not feed the media. BB will not address any more questions about the 3rd string QB. Period.

Tebow will not be taking interviews after every practice.

The media will get bored with getting nothing in a couple of weeks, and normal life will resume.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think that most people still feel like Tebow will never be a good NFL QB.

I think most in the media feel that a team like NE or maybe GB where a legend is already running the team, Tebow can just be another guy trying to carve out a spot on a team and not a savior, like he was viewed by many after he was drafted and after he was traded to the Jets.

Nothing big is expected, so any disappointment if he doesn't make it will be minimal.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Tebow stinks, but this is the best spot for him. If Tebow is to have any success in the NFL, he either needed to go somewhere he could play, and maybe he'll luck into success like he did in Denver, or he needs to sit behind an established star QB where no one will be calling his name.

Last year, the Jets traded for him, but didn't know how to use him, then didn't think he could play. But the starter was also playing horribly, so it looked bad trading for this guy then not playing him when a need at QB arose.

New England doesn't have to play Tebow because they have Brady. Tebow can develop in the background, and it doesn't need to be a big story because people won't ask Belichick every week if he'll start him. He'll get some questions about Tebow's role, but it shouldn't affect the locker room.

We'll see if Tebow can be any good or not. McDaniels liked him, too, so he actually has the one offensive coach in the NFL who believed in him.

That said, like all Jets fans, I hope Tebow plays as much as he can this year to distract the Patriots from Brady. And like all Jets fans, I realize in the back of my head, that Tebow will burn the Jets at some point this season.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think you underestimate the media's perseverance in getting what they want and need. The other thing to remember is that the percentage of media coverage that is national vs local is about to get very skewed.

Tebow is an ESPN and NFLN property. There's no way they're going to bow out of the picture so that the Patriots get what they need out of the deal. The only question is whether Belichik can deal with the exposure involved or whether he'll fold his tent up early and be done with the problem.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no they won't. we thought the same thing last year and we ended up with sal pal inbedded in t.c. your local guys may give up but tmz and the like will be there till the bitter end.
    enjoy

6. dex13

dex13 New Member

are you saying that the interview styles of BB is similar to that of Rex Ryan?

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rex fed the hype. BB won't.

8. Br4d

Rex will put up with endless BS from the media because he dishes out endless BS. It's a trade-off and he rarely takes exception to even the most persistent of annoying questions. Last year tested that proposition as Rex seemed annoyed about the Tebow questions by mid-season.

Belichik on the other hand has no patience at all for superfluous questions and he won't answer the valid ones. I give him like three media sessions with Tebow on the roster before he's grinding his teeth and ruing the day he signed him.

It's possible that his reticent glowers will be enough to stop the media questions. I doubt it though. I think we're about to see the collision of a black hole and a super nova and it's going to be fun to watch.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The Pats have a better offense than the Jets. Mcknight would have had just as much success (if not more than) as Woodhead.

How did Rex feed the hype? He didn't need to. The media hates him because he's a guy that speaks his mind. They were able to quote mine him all year long, Rex could have given BB answers all year and they'd still blow everything he said out of proportion. There's a big difference between the real Rex Ryan and the media portrayed image of him.

#209 Barcs, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

"Nigg@ please!"

#210 Barcs, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Tommy and Timmy.

[​IMG]]

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rex fed the hype constantly. "Tebow may be in for 20 snaps a game" "We're gonna do some creative suf with him" etc etc...

He let the media think that tebow was gonna be a big part of the team and that he was gonna be a huge weapon for them.

You can't blow BB's answers out of proportion because he doesn't get into that stuff. The most your gonna get from the media is that BB is an arogant asshole who doesn't share anything with them.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You were replying to footballgodwhatever.

Didn't mean to demean you--was just helpful in making the point.

:beer:

_

14. Br4d

Nah, the next thing you're going to get is the media creating the scenarios that sell best for them and then pumping them into the information stream.

Belichik is going to have this gnawing doubt about the Tebow move and he's going to realize after a bit that every time he tries to assert his legendary control of the media by clamming up further the sitation gets a little bit more out of hand.

I give this until mid-August before it begins to boomerang badly on the Pats.

The Jets were a really bad place for Tebow to wind up, both for him and for the team. Denver on the other hand should have been fertile ground.

The only story line that is going to work for the Pats is "Tebow switching positions and glad to be a member of the team."

15. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Belichick will never lose the war of attrition with the media. If they want to keep asking the same questions, he will continue to reply, "I already answered that" or "I have nothing else to add to what I already said." It doesn't matter if it's a sports outlet or TMZ, his resolution there will be unbreakable, guaranteed. If Tebow is cut it will be because he can't grasp the offense or do enough to bring value to the team. As long as the player does his part and keeps his mouth shut, he'll have some chance of sticking around.

This is probably one of three places he could have gone and continued to have an NFL career (others being Green Bay and New Orleans). I've never been a fan of him as a player, but even the craziest Te-bots on the face of the planet aren't going to call for him to be a hero here. No one is going to supplant Brady. Huge difference there with NY. Belichick will not have to answer questions about his starting QB playing horribly and then the natural follow up of, "What about his backup?"

My gut feeling tells me he won't be on the opening day roster anyway.

16. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Belichick basically squashed the media in the first PC, and that is evident by the fact that there was much less media present for his PC the next day, only 2 Tebow questions were asked, and they were something like half way through the Q&A session.

Also on Wednesday, the Pats stuck a dagger through "the circus" by listing Tebow as one of their two "stars".

17. Br4d

So Tebow is now required to meet with the media once each week.

Yeah, that'll solve the problem...

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Rex did no such thing. The reporters asked him how many snaps he'll see and Rex said that he MIGHT see 20 snaps, but that he wasn't sure. Then the media makes up their own shit and says that Tebow will definitely have 20 snaps a game when if you listen to his entire response he says nothing like that. Context is everything, not single quotes. He never once said that Tebow was going to be a huge part of the team. He said that he was a great kid, a hard worker, and he had high hopes for him, but he didn't guarantee anything. The media doesn't seem to understand that and just takes every quote as undeniable gospel. That was all the media, and you'd know this if you watched the press conference rather than just reading select quote mines from people like Cimini. The media quote mined Rex ALL LAST YEAR, insinuating things with quote mines that never told the full story. Listening to Ryan actually speak in person makes a huge difference, you can tell by his demeanor that he's not saying anything that's set in stone, he's trying to honestly answer the questions. Funny how people bash the guy for being honest rather than politically correct.

And if you think the Patriots aren't spreading the hype you are blind. There have been 3 articles on Tebow in the past 5 days. Tebow says he's excited to be on the team and an entire article is written. Brady makes a comment about Tebow and another big article. Sorry but the Pats want the hype too, it might not come from BB, but it will come. Gee they already named Tebow the "star" for 2013 that's required to meet with the media every week. Nah, they aren't buying into the hype, making a 3rd stringer their "star". :lol:

#218 Barcs, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  19. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It's limited to ONLY once a week. Otherwise, a team is not allowed to shield a player from questioning day-in, day-out.

That's one thing people never got about Tebow supposedly seeking out reporters -- in the fine print of the NFL rules, if the reporters ask, you can't just go "NO." You can limit it (the rules are complicated), but you can't just go long periods and shut it down.

With the "once a week" limit, you can slip it past them at inconvenient times or mid-week, and then freeze them all the other times during the week.

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

This is a huge point. Up until now, Tebow has always been playing behind failure quarterbacks in frustrating seasons. He's never been behind (1) a good quarterback; OR (2) a quarterback having even a remotely winning season.

It will be smooth sailing with the Patriots.